Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I might get a reproduction serial number decal for my 420?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I believe you can still order them from a Deere dealer. You could a few years ago.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Does anyone know where I might get a reproduction serial number decal for my 420?
I had one made at my local sign shop. Guy took a picture of it and made one that looked exactly like the original. This was in 2014 when I restored my 330 JD lawn & garden tractor.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The ones that you could get from John Deere were hard to get and had the word "DUPLICATE" on it. I did not like that.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
The ones that you could get from John Deere were hard to get and had the word "DUPLICATE" on it. I did not like that.
Yes but if all you want is to preserve the serial number for future reference it beats a magic marker. Or, if its just looks you care about you can buy a complete tower assembly with the nice tag already mounted with original rivets. (Like so many others have done.) A 420 tower might be a little hard to find. I'm being a bit facetious here but its true. Those tags move around like used hour meters. And if you did find a reproduction you could put any number you like on it. I have seen a few held on with pop rivets which is a dead give away. Usually for painting purposes I hope but who knows? There certainly isn't much to be gained by putting a newer S/N number on these machines. At least a Deere duplicate would show a little honesty to a future buyer.

·
Registered
1989 318
741 Posts
My last job was at a company that supplied HVAC systems to Deere. I was in the test equipment/engineering department and responsible for making label formats for those products. The 'duplicate label' issue was always a problem. Dealers would mess up a label (usually during installation) and wanted a replacement, but we wanted to make sure that the label was a duplicate (because it had a s/n that was traceable for warranty) without it actually saying 'Duplicate' on it. So, what we came up with was modifying the Registered Trademark symbol
by inserting a little-bitty -D alongside the R signifying that the label was a dupe. The Trademark symbol was pretty small on the actual label so you would have to really look for the -D, our warranty people were made aware of it.

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
To get the duplicate from Deere you have to jump through a few hoops. You have to get a document signed by local law enforcement that you pick up at your Deere dealer. It says that that you are indeed the owner, and that the cops believe you that you are just doing a restoration, and not trying to get a Deere decal for something that is not Deere. When I went to do all this, the cop was scratching his head on why someone would go through all this. Then once it is all filled out and sent back in to Deere, they get to approve/disapprove it.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I believe all of the tape for a Deere tag is more so meant for the Ag/Construction machines which even cheaper ones are worth as much or more than even some of the largest GT collections on here and would have quite the motivation for a thief to re tag to something not reported stolen.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The serial number on my 330 was like a decal that was stuck on the side of the dash tower right beside the operators right foot. It was partly scratched off but still all numbers very legible. My sign man just made a picture of it, found the
right kind of material to make it out of. Once I had the panel painted, I just put it on like a decal. Looks just like new and it is 100% right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts