Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I retired from work 20 months ago. Sold out and left Denver to a more relaxed location and peaceful existence. We had to downsize dramatically but I still filled 3 shipping containers with stuff I didn't want to part with that quickly.
Now my tractor problem, Somewhere within 8000 cubic feet of storage is my tractor manuals pertaining to my 1984 322 JD GT. I really am not ready to search for them so here I am begging for information.... like a newby I once was here....
It's been a long time since Ive had any problem with my trustworthy 322 but the time has come... Just a couple of days ago I was using the mowing deck and all of a sudden the tractor died. I shut the PTO off and it started right up. I turned on the PTO and it mowed for another 10 minutes or so and did the same thing. NOW, the tractor runs great as long as I don't use the electric clutch front pto. I am sure either the PTO clutch is shorting out or ... what else could it be? I bought a brand new battery thinking maybe the battery was going bad but... it didn't help...
Opinions?
Thank you .

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
It may also be the voltage regulator or stator and/or a pto coil going bad. Before replacing anything, do some checking. Disconnect wire to pto an ohm out, should be 3-4 ohms...3 or less, coil is ready to die! If OK, measure battery voltage before starting, should be 12.5-12.7 volts. Start engine, warm for 5 minutes, go full throttle and measure battery voltage, should be 13-14 volts. Reconnect pto wire, turn pto "On" and measure battery voltage. should be 12.5-13 volts. Another final check would be to mow until tractor dies and then ohm out pto coil, as quickly as you can get to it! Ohms should be close or same as initial "cold" check.
Check these items and report findings. Bob

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Another WFM old timer rides again. Nice to see you posting again Jerry. I retired 5 years ago. No idea where the time went. You're likely experiencing the same thing. Sometimes feels like life is on fast forward.

Ok, I retired from work 20 months ago.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Isnt the seat switch responsible for keeping it running when pto engaged. I'd check seat switch and related wiring.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Where's Chuck

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Sorry I'm late...been off on other interests for a while, helping the guy that bought my 42 foot motorhome from the first guy I sold it to a couple of years ago when I retired and moved to another state... (sound familiar Jerry??)

If your 322 dies when the PTO is on, but not immediately as you describe at least in the first instance, then it most likely is a high current draw of the PTO winding due to a partial internal short. To verify it is a current draw issue and not a safety switch related fault, simply unplug the PTO clutch at the pigtail where it attaches to the harness. If it no longer stalls, it is draw related. NOTE, the dash PTO light should still light up with the clutch unplugged, but the clutch of course will not engage.)

Jerry -- watch your PM (conversation page in the new forum layout) for some useful tractor information.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Another WFM old timer rides again. Nice to see you posting again Jerry. I retired 5 years ago. No idea where the time went. You're likely experiencing the same thing. Sometimes feels like life is on fast forward.
Army , no kidding. I just realized that I retired 20 YEARS ago! Can't possibly be true. I suppose that with no weekends "off" that time just runs together. I wouldn't go back to work though, I'm having way too much fun. :D

Jerry, nice to hear that life is going well for you out there on the eastern plains. (y)

Steve

·
Registered
994 Posts
Army , no kidding. I just realized that I retired 20 YEARS ago! Can't possibly be true. I suppose that with no weekends "off" that time just runs together. I wouldn't go back to work though, I'm having way too much fun. :D

Jerry, nice to hear that life is going well for you out there on the eastern plains. (y)

Steve
Ok, I retired from work 20 months ago. Sold out and left Denver to a more relaxed location and peaceful existence. We had to downsize dramatically but I still filled 3 shipping containers with stuff I didn't want to part with that quickly.
Now my tractor problem, Somewhere within 8000 cubic feet of storage is my tractor manuals pertaining to my 1984 322 JD GT. I really am not ready to search for them so here I am begging for information.... like a newby I once was here....
It's been a long time since Ive had any problem with my trustworthy 322 but the time has come... Just a couple of days ago I was using the mowing deck and all of a sudden the tractor died. I shut the PTO off and it started right up. I turned on the PTO and it mowed for another 10 minutes or so and did the same thing. NOW, the tractor runs great as long as I don't use the electric clutch front pto. I am sure either the PTO clutch is shorting out or ... what else could it be? I bought a brand new battery thinking maybe the battery was going bad but... it didn't help...
Opinions?
Thank you .

·
Registered
189 Posts
I suppose that with no weekends "off" that time just runs together. I wouldn't go back to work though, I'm having way too much fun. :D
I hear that.
Not getting up for a job I "have" to go to every day since I semi-retired to start a business with my old friend. I have lost all track of time too.

But to get back to the question, I believe it's a shorted out PTO coil once it gets hot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same issue on a new-to-me tractor. Turned out to be the factory seat switch connector. Even though it was bypassed by the P.O., it was shorting out inside the plug. Took alot of testing to find that because I assumed the bypass was solid.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Same thing was happening on one of my 318’s. I finally started just swapping out known good parts in the hope I’d find it but I don’t suggest that method, others here are much wiser. Anyway culprit was voltage regulator. Cheers

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all your replies. After checking the clutch pac wires and the switch I discovered it would only shut down randomly but only when my 235 lbs was on the tractor. My next step was pulling the fender pan off to check the jumper wire under there. That was it, I guess my weight in the seat made the pan touch the wiring up under there enough to cause movement and cause a disconnect. Tomorrow, I will get the pressure washer out and scourer the tractor while I have it apart. So yes, it was the seat safety cut-off jumper wire..
20210616_191030 (1).jpg 20210616_191045.jpg 20210616_191157.jpg

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, i put them on there a long time ago after I bought the tractor. They have held up well.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like your beam and chain fall hoist. Sure looks like it makes wrestling with the fender pan easier -- don't need to remove the seat to lighten it either!

Bob
Thanks Bob,
I'm having to make better ways to lift and move things, I'm not as healthy as I used to be. It's really come in handy for different things, yesterday I hoisted the mower deck to remove the blades and fix a bottom roller. Sure beats rolling around on the ground or wrestling with heavy awkward items.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts