Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my JD grille emblem in the mail today...to dress up the formerly derelict but now revived 216 that I finished up not long ago.
Painted the deer yellow with my JD touch up paint. Worked on the somewhat beat up but painted grill by hand, but plan to apply Chuckv's grille tool to it, too.
Waiting on the stock push nuts in the mail. Need to make a simple strap for it to go under the push nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really...just little busy projects until the Dog Days break...97 today thru this weekend and we crowding October. Plan on doing poor man's powering steering on it after it cools off...have to bug out of the shop now at noon latest.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possibly. The studs on the back of the new emblem are non-threaded plastic. I'm going to try mounting it with a keeper strap behind the push nuts and the nuts, then decide if I like that arrangement. Need to look at my 212 and 322 grilles/emblems to see how they're attached I guess.

·
Premium Member
10,098 Posts
The push nuts are the factory way to mount these emblems, but do not take kindly to disassembly... When I busted my badge off the 322 while spilling firewood out the back of my JohnnyBucket SR, to repair it I found that small self tapping screws as used in many imported plastic gadgets that end up getting tossed out were just the perfect hardware ...just save those fasteners.

Here are some pictures of my repair...I used #2 or #4 self tapping screws and a bit of strap as seen here. You have to be quite careful when drilling the plastic bosses in the back of the badge, there is not much material there.
Wood Musical instrument accessory Office supplies Toolbox Recreation

This is after the original pins broke off, but prior to drilling...
Bumper Bag Rectangle Gadget Gas

Chuck

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Chuckv, yes I saw that in another post about grilles. I'm going to try the push nuts, which arrived today, and see how it goes and what I think. Next adventure is digging up a strap from my hoard of stuff, and working on the grille a bit more. My tools in this adventure are limited to simple hand tools and a small shop vise. I'll post back as progress is made.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
The push nuts are the factory way to mount these emblems, but do not take kindly to disassembly... When I busted my badge off the 322 while spilling firewood out the back of my JohnnyBucket SR, to repair it I found that small self tapping screws as used in many imported plastic gadgets that end up getting tossed out were just the perfect hardware ...just save those fasteners.

Here are some pictures of my repair...I used #2 or #4 self tapping screws and a bit of strap as seen here. You have to be quite careful when drilling the plastic bosses in the back of the badge, there is not much material there.
View attachment 284420

This is after the original pins broke off, but prior to drilling...
View attachment 284421

Chuck
That's a good idea, might cut a hose clamp and use that. The 2 214s I've had never had an emblem. My 318 i bought has half a pound of caulk holding it on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts