Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
How do you like that?

Bob Gehret must have posted while I got off the computer for a minute. He's the guy you want to listen to!!!

Jim

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Bob, Jim, and Jim thanks for all the input!! Got the wire today, but have to work Sat and Sunday and won't be able to do anything with it. Have the form already made like the one in the photos, thinking of brushing each coil wrap with 2 hr epoxy. I have the form already coated with release agent. After it sets up I thought I would wrap it with fiberglass cloth and pot the whole thing like Bob suggested, using some more 2 hour epoxy. Will definately post pics of the whole operation!

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Finally back guys, had a lot going on. This is the progress so far. The mold is made of 3 pieces of MDF, the middle section was planed to be 1/8th" thinner than the inner housing, to allow potting material top and bottom. All bolted together with a 1/4" bolt. I coated the pieces with release agent, but still had a hard time removing them after curing, would probably use a heavy coat of wax next time. Drilled small hole at base level on one side of the mold and inserted one end of the wire from inside the mold. Wound the wire slowly, applying high temp silicone after ever 3 or 4 wraps. Did it by myself, but next time will get better half to run drill while I guide wire and apply silicone. After winding, checked ohms and found to be 3.9, which I think is in the OK range by what I have read. After it cured a while I applied 12 volts, the coil got warm after about 45 minutes or so, but nowhere near hot. After it set, I removed the molds, had a hard time doing it without messing up the wraps, will use heavy coat of wax as release agent next time. More to follow!

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Can't get pics to upload unless I make them tiny, what photo program do you guys use to allow you to upload the bigger pics? I keep getting file to large error.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Tested the coil for fit, it was a little tight in the center, but the coil is saturated with silicone, and I put a coat on the inside of the center, it should bond and never move. Spread a layer of silicone on the bottom of the housing 1/16th" or so and thin layer on the outside wall. Let it start to set up, coated the whole coil with silicone, and placed the coil in the housing, running the wires through the holes in the bottom of the housing. forced silicone around the outside edge, and spread a layer over the top, making sure it was level with the housing. Turned it over, ran a piece of small clear tubing over the positive wire, filled the hole with silicone, and slide the tubing down the wire and into the hole. Connected the ground wire to the housing, and let the whole thing set up. Temporarily wired it up, can't pry a wrench off!! Don't have a deck for this tractor yet, but see no reason it ain't gonna work! Thanks to all who contributed Another thing, it takes more wire than you might think. I bought 600 feet, and used it all but about 50 feet.

(Message edited by jimcrys on November 03, 2006)

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you are not computer literate and use Windows XP the PowerToy is by far the the simplest solution. I imagine all versions of computer operating systems will have something like this in the future. All you have to do is right click on a picture file and it will give you the option to change the size of the file - then it will creates a copy of the original file in the new size. It's very quick and easy to use.

There are many PowerToys - the one you want is listed under ImageResizer.exe on the right side. The simplest install is choose "Run from here" after clicking on the download.

DOWNLOAD PAGE IS AT: http://tinyurl.com/2meyw

DOCUMENTATION IS AT: http://tinyurl.com/2jvah

·
Registered
778 Posts
Jim,
Previously you said it just gets "warm" after 45 minutes and you measured 3.9 Ohms. To me that sounds perfect!!! Congrats on a great job & thanks for keeping us posted!

This may be irrelevant, but I have a program called “Ulead Photo Express”. It came bundled with a scanner I bought 3-4 years ago & I think it’s great! All the stuff you can do with this program is awesome. This is the program I use to reduce the size of the pictures by either resolution and/or size. Jim Q. is the real computer guy. I just thought I’d mention it.

The Other Jim

·
Registered
320 Posts
<font face="courier new,courier"]HUH?
Well, anyway, thanks Jim

Durn, I can't find one of those faces with a halo.

I will admit I use something else (over 15 years) but for resizing photos only, the PowerToys tool beats anything I've seen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jim,

Did you attach insulated stranded wire leads to the coil before you potted it or did you run the magnet wire out of the coil? If you are using the magnet wire as the leads, you may find that they break from vibration and fatigue relatively soon.

Also, what did you use to bond and pot the coil? You mention silicone, but what exactly is that?

Bob

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Bob,
I slid a piece of poly tubing over the insulated wire, going through the hole in the housing with the tubing, and burying the tubing in the silicone potting material. The wire is surrounded by the poly tubing until the terminal. The wire is firmly attached to the engine housing and where it connects to the wiring harness. Should have no vibration problems. I used high temp (200 degree) automotive gasket 100% silicone to bond and pot the coil. That stuff is nearly indestructable, and bonds to itself. So I believe the coil bonding material and the potting material are one continuous piece. The silicone also makes a 100% waterproof coil, and won't dry out and crack like epoxy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
One of you drop me a note when you think this is ready to archive.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Help please!
I was in the process of replacing the front oil seal on my 140 and went in to dinner while my son offered to clean up the oil and gunk on the engine.
The PTO coil was exposed and he thought the sand mix covering the coil was gunk and managed to clean it off the surface and edges. There appears to be no broken wires but what can I do to reseal this coil. Any hope?

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Check the coil with an ohmmeter. If it isn't shorted out I would reseal it. I have run the one I rewound using high temp silicone sealer and so far so good.

(Message edited by jimcrys on November 11, 2006)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just happened to see this and thought I had saved some of the pictures. I will share them with the notes under each picture. Unfortunately I can't find the text that went with the pictures.

Clutch

Coil removed

Rewinding coil

Coil wound

Coil removed

Leads attached

in place

potted

back on tractor

wrench test. Sorry, that's all I have are the pictures.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts