Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 round fender that I have completely stripped down for restoration purposes, but for the life of me, I cannot get the mule drive off of the tractor frame. The previous owner has either cut off or rounded off the head of the bolt/fastener that holds it on. I haven't been able to find any reading material or photos to help me out with this problem. I would like to save it as it has the single pulley on the inside and the triple pulley on the outside. I even tried to separate the pulleys with little success. Was only able to get the nut off of the inside pulley. Any suggestions on how to attack this problem or where I might find a manual for this situation as it would be greatly appreciated. I have several round fender manuals; even a parts manual, and none of them show the mule drive. I am hoping that eventually I can figure out how to download pictures from my phone on to the forum to better explain my situations.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Lawrence there is no head on the bolt. It is an Allen head bolt with the Allen part just inside where you don't really see it. If it hasn't been off for a bit sometimes the part where the Allen wrench goes in is full of dirt. Roger

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger, I looked at the head of the fastener and it looks as though someone filled it in with a weld, but not to worry, I used a chisel and was able to get it turning and removed it with a vise grip. Do you know if these bolts are still available? Also, how do you get the third pulley away from the double pulley? There is a nut on the outside of it, but it doesn't want to budge, any suggestions? I'm thinking it is part of the pulley.

Here is another unrelated question? Why am I not able to get into the gallery section of the web site? Was never a problem up to three or four weeks ago. Keep getting a http 500 error!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Lawrence, if it is a 110, and looks like this, the hex is part of the optional pulley to drive a tiller for instance. It will probably take an impact wrench to remove it. Standard right hand thread.
If it's a 112, someone else will have to help both of us. The 112 has two drive pulleys on the outside to start with. I think it also uses the same optional pulley to drive a tiller, but I'm not familiar with the 112 round fender setup. Don't want to get you mixed up.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, it is a 112 with the tecumseh engine. Looks similar to your picture with the exception that there are in fact two outside pulleys that are molded together as you mentioned. Looked on the John Deere parts web site, but haven't had any luck finding this particular mule drive for the 112 model. Also found out that the bolt that holds the mule drive onto the frame is no longer available. If anyone has an extra one for sale let me know.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Lawrence you need to hold the double pulley. Maybe a strap wrench, vise or ?. Then I would recommend a half inch drive impact wrench either electric or air powered. It is normal right hand threaded. The nut on the pulley replaces the normal nut on the mule drive. The 3rd pulley is for driving a tiller or maybe a 540 PTO. You can look up the bolt on www.jdparts.com. That will let you look up the factory parts manuals. With the part number you can look up the price at your favorite JD dealer. Looking up the price will tell you if it is available or not. There are a large number of them around on E-Bay and other places. Roger

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Lawrence, look up a model 46 tractor mounted mower. The 112 used the two drive belt setup for that deck. Look under belts, intermediate drive. You can do the same for a model 38 deck to see the 110 drive.
Looks like there is just a nut holding the two sheave pulley on. It also shows an early setup using a sleeve and long cap screw to mount the drive on a 110 and it subs to the M41952 number. So it looks like a used stud from a 110 could be the replacement you need. Lot more 110's out there to part out.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Roger is correct. I remove the 13/16 nut on the double pullies by using a large vice grip to hold the pullies. Once the nut is removed, I install my mule drive pulley on the shaft I removed the nut off of. The pulley screws onto the shaft. This mule pulley is only used for the roto tiller. Once the tiller is taken off I remove the pully and re-install the 13/16 nut. Because the pully sticks out, it will hit the front right wheel.
There is a wheel stop bolt you can extend to stop the wheel from hitting the pulley. The pulley can cut the wheel if you don`t set the stop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.