Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first attempt at installing this hitch was stopped due to the main brackets that attach to the frame not have clearance for the frame rails and bolts.
Lynchburg lemonade Automotive tire Cocktail Recipe Ingredient

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

After some phone calls and emails with Bill Ruegg I shipped them back for him to machine them out. This fixed the frame clearance issues, but I had to expand the notches for the bolts down some. I won’t pass blame anywhere for that as I’m not sure what condition my marks were in after shipping or how clear they may have been.
Wood Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

After expanding the notches down some and knocking some corners off of the lift rod that were rubbing on the fuel tank. Dad and I shot the bare metal with some spray paint. Following dinner we returned to install everything. We had some difficulties due to assembly order/methodology and tools. The C clips on the ends of the rock shaft were difficult to install due to snap ring pliers not having a good 90 degree tip. The threaded cross rod needed to have paint knocked out of its holes to fit and one of the brackets pulled off to be able to fit it. Pulling one or both tires would probably have rectified both that and the C clips. Or just building up the brackets and cross shafts off of the machine and then bolting the assembly up. Otherwise assembly was pretty easy. My main complaint other than fitment is the paint/powder coat. It is unfortunately pretty atrocious in the durability department. Multiple parts of the hitch have had pieces flake/fracture off and when installing the pins onto my drawbars it would crumple under them as they turned. The fitment issues probably would’ve been mitigated/nonexistent had I been installing onto a different machine with a different frame design. Does seem to be a well designed and built item otherwise and the assistance in resolving my fitment issues was greatly appreciated.
My current review is 3.5/5 stars due to the paint and fitment issues.
Am hoping to put to use with my 12” Brinly plow soon (am thinking about trying to get it set up tomorrow if the garden isn’t a mud pit)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Fender Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

I do feel that this still may be the best option for a closed frame 3pt however. Deere hitches and the necessary hydraulics are expensive (and have heard that they are weak in terms of strength under reverse loads) and the foreign made rip-off’s of these hitches almost certainly lack any meaningful support (and are rip-off’s)

Reactions: MTB1998

· Registered
6,510 Posts
Good work...finally got it fitted. My 430 came with a deere 3 pt and I've always wanted the impossible...3 pt for a 200-series machine. Filled that void for smaller machine with 3 pt with the 322...but it's an open frame machine.
Hardest part of putting a used 3 pt on it was swapping the rockshaft...required 3 hands at times. That and getting the lift arms oriented correctly. The only downside I've found to this accessory/improvement is learning to navigate around the lift arms in the shop without barking my shins...took almost 4 months to get that imprinted on my wee brain.
You're into the fun part now...using it. Plow em up!

· Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good work...finally got it fitted. My 430 came with a deere 3 pt and I've always wanted the impossible...3 pt for a 200-series machine. Filled that void for smaller machine with 3 pt with the 322...but it's an open frame machine.
Hardest part of putting a used 3 pt on it was swapping the rockshaft...required 3 hands at times. That and getting the lift arms oriented correctly. The only downside I've found to this accessory/improvement is learning to navigate around the lift arms in the shop without barking my shins...took almost 4 months to get that imprinted on my wee brain.
You're into the fun part now...using it. Plow em up!
@Bonecrusher2002 has a Ruegg hitch on his 110, the frame width and I believe the bolts are the same between them and the hydrostatic machines.

· Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must be an Armstrong lift then? Or does it have a hydraulic pump to lift the deck?
I’m pretty sure his is a manual lift, but hydraulic would probably work.

· Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here’s his thread with some pictures of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts