Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this happened before the belt shredded. i bled the fuel system and it fired up fine after installing a new fuel filter. i ran the throttle up and down a few times and now it runs rough.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
can take 20 minutes to get the air out even after bleeding

Reactions: 1990 332

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
New, clean fuel? Any air bubbles in the clear line between filter and injection pump? Did you bleed at the filter, injection pump and injectors? Is the fuel shutoff solenoid all the way out after it starts?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New, clean fuel? Any air bubbles in the clear line between filter and injection pump? Did you bleed at the filter, injection pump and injectors? Is the fuel shutoff solenoid all the way out after it starts?
yep new clean fuel just replaced all the rubber lines. i dont think there is a clear line i will check tomorrow though. i bled at the filter then injection pump but not at the injectors. i will check on the fuel solenoid also in the morning or later in the day. are all idi diesels the same pretty much? im just thinking ahead to when i get a truck. im guessing anything with an injection pump will be reletively the same. i want a 5.9 engine but my second choice would be a powerstroke. what do you guys recommend? im thinking everyone will recommend the mechanical 5.9.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep new clean fuel just replaced all the rubber lines. i dont think there is a clear line i will check tomorrow though. i bled at the filter then injection pump but not at the injectors. i will check on the fuel solenoid also in the morning or later in the day. are all idi diesels the same pretty much? im just thinking ahead to when i get a truck. im guessing anything with an injection pump will be reletively the same. i want a 5.9 engine but my second choice would be a powerstroke. what do you guys recommend? im thinking everyone will recommend the mechanical 5.9.
i realize that the 5.9 as well as the powerstoke are direct injection engines versus indirect.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
To help in getting the air out of the system, drive the tractor around and engage the PTO. The engine load will be more than just running and use more fuel. That will help get the air out.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You said you didn't bleed the injectors. I would start there.

i realize that the 5.9 as well as the powerstoke are direct injection engines versus indirect.
I have experience with small diesels (VW), both the IDI and PD versions. I have a PD and it's much more complicated than an IDI. There are trade-offs though. I added 25 HP with a computer change. Con: a new injector is ~$500. ETA: and it's in the head and requires new expensive bolts.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i recently read somewhere that somebody put a vw diesel in a yj jeep. may have been a video on you tube possibly deboss garage. how would you compare the vw IDI to the yanmar like how are they different. i want to do a diesel xj swap. how much hp can you get out of the vw idi? the prices of injectors scares me lol. what does PD stand for?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I am fighting this condition on my 332 . Have you pulled the fender deck and inspected the fuel pickup in the tank ? There is a right angle metal fitting that pushes into a rubber grommet . There should be a rubber or tygon piece of tubing about 3"-4" long in the tank and attached to that angle fitting .

On the end of that tubing is a metal sock style filter . It is well known that the short piece of tubing rots and falls off . When fuel level falls below where the tubing fell off or rotted you start sucking air . I used 1/4" ID tubing to replace mine . Mine was completely gone just bits and pieces in the bottom of the tank . Good luck

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am fighting this condition on my 332 . Have you pulled the fender deck and inspected the fuel pickup in the tank ? There is a right angle metal fitting that pushes into a rubber grommet . There should be a rubber or tygon piece of tubing about 3"-4" long in the tank and attached to that angle fitting .

On the end of that tubing is a metal sock style filter . It is well known that the short piece of tubing rots and falls off . When fuel level falls below where the tubing fell off or rotted you start sucking air . I used 1/4" ID tubing to replace mine . Mine was completely gone just bits and pieces in the bottom of the tank . Good luck
i just replaced all the fuel lines. the pickup screen was hanging by a thread. all of that is fixed now

·
Registered
5,023 Posts

they say neither is better but I went 95 7.3 HEUI 4x4 XLT with ZF5

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Reactions: TempletonJDguy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts