Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what I used to call my grandfather. It's from the old B&W TV show 'The Real McCoys'. The grandfather on the show was called 'Señor Rumpa' by the Mexican farm hand.

Anyway.. I have this H1 140 now. Was my grandfather's. Never expected to end up with it. I'm pretty happy about it. Got lots of work to do on it. The engine has a busted rod and the rest of the tractor has over 50 years of dust and grime all over it. Hopefully the hydro pump and hydraulic deck lift work ok. No way to know yet.

At some point my uncle put a new tire on the front left. Not sure why he'd do that with a blown engine. Maybe so he could roll the tractor around. My brother said the back tires were flat but they are holding air no problem in the short term. I have some tires/wheels combos that will work anyway. Two pairs of 24x12-12 inchers and also a couple sets of 26x12-12's. And one pair of 28x14-15 ag style puller tires/wheels. They'd be somewhat oversized. That never stopped me before :D but I'm gonna keep this 140 as original as I can though.

My partially formulated plan is to swap the excellent 12 HP Kohler that's in my 1200 Cub Cadet now into the 140 and the original 140 Kohler will go on a shelf. It needs a rod and possibly other internal help. Gonna keep that engine too though and I was gonna sell the 1200 as a roller anyway.

I forget what's different about it but I have a new dash decal for a 140 in my parts cabinet. I think it's for a '71 140 but don't quote me on that till I check. Got it from Mark Smoker (JD140's pa) a dozen years or so ago. It's a repro. Mark had some made up by a decal place because they were NLA from mother deere. I think the difference is the ammeter gauge is on the opposite side to what they usually are (?). Will have a look today.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

The deck appears to be really good. Spindles turn fine by hand and there's no ominous noises. No pitting on the bottom side. Just some surface rust that will be easy to banish with my sand blaster. Haven't pulled the deck cover off yet so maybe some evil is lurking under there. We'll see.
Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
1989 318
2,999 Posts
Army you are one lucky dude!

The harder you work the luckier you get! (I don't recall where I first heard it but have always like the ring to it)

Reactions: jd_joe and army

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the hydro or the lift cylinder. They are pretty robust on these old gals. The old mallrat I had was in pretty sad shape, but with a running motor it worked okay.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Subbing. Congrats on getting her!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just wondering whether it was towed at some point without using the freewheel relief valve. The knob acted like it had never been used before. Had that snap-loose feel to it when I first started turning it. Like opening a jar of pickles. I didn't ask my brother yet but it had to get from the shed and up on the trailer somehow and it definitely wasn't driven with a broken rod in the K321. He said he used a winch to load it. That's another reason to use the shortblock from the 3 wheeler, for now anyway. I'd hate to put a bunch of cash into rebuilding the original K321 in the 140 only to realize the the hydro is pooched.

Nice!
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the hydro pump either.
I wouldn't worry about the hydro or the lift cylinder. They are pretty robust on these old gals. The old mallrat I had was in pretty sad shape, but with a running motor it worked okay.

Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dash decal was actually a '68 only fenderpan decal that I got from Mark Smoker. The decal I was thinking of was actually for a 110 SF that had a one year only dash layout. Makes me wonder how accurate my other memories are.
Font Material property Rectangle Wood Flooring

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The deck is actually mint, relatively speaking. Most decks this age are pretty beat up. Not this one though. I was pretty surprised by that. Some scaling on the bottom side but easily rectified with a light sand blasting. No pitting really. And the top of the deck that was under the cover is in great shape. Just a bit of 50 year old dry grass under there that looked like it had never been wet or even damp. No matting or griminess at all. It looked like dust bunnies made of grass. The blades are good enough to start mowing with. They're covered in surface rust but they feel like they were just sharpened.
Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Combat vehicle

This grass would be excellent for a bird's nest.
Rectangle Natural material Soil Grass Circle

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything on this 140 looks to still be factory correct. Even the wiring harness. I don't recall ever buying a JD GT that hadn't had the wiring hacked up at least somewhat. I'm gonna have to get a grille but I don't see anything else missing. It's an H1 with no front hyd coupler but it has turning brakes. I had a '71 H1 140 with only the left side pedal.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The mall rat had sat long enough there was no pressure at all in anything. And I did tow it (slowly), to the back yard. Just keep your fingers crossed, I bet it will be fine.

Plus I have no idea what happened to it before I got it. It could have been towed, it definitely had some poop on it from sitting in a barn. :LOL:

:)

Reactions: army and jd_joe

·
Registered
1989 318
2,999 Posts
To me it is funny how small the 100-series JD tractors are compared to later 200-300-400 series machines as they stepped up in size, like small and strong!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
To me it is funny how small the 100-series JD tractors are compared to later 200-300-400 series machines as they stepped up in size, like small and strong!
Yeah RF’s are tiny! SF’s are pretty much the same size as closed frame 300’s and 200’s though. SGT’s are huge though.

·
Registered
832 Posts
HHHMMM I don't think I've ever seen a 140 without headlights. I thought the 120's were the only one without headlights.

Headlights were actually optional on 140H1's. They were standard on 140H3's.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I seem to remember that this tractor was missing in action at one point and you were hoping that you could find it. I'm really glad that you got possession of it.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I put a set of 400 front wheels and tires on the H1 140 I had about 15 years ago just fer grins. I don't recall why I sold it but it was a dumbass thing to do.

My brother actually found it right away but decided to surprise me when he delivered it. And he did too. I came in my driveway and it was sitting on his trailer. He had dropped it off earlier in the day.

I seem to remember that this tractor was missing in action at one point and you were hoping that you could find it. I'm really glad that you got possession of it.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was kinda like the time Frank disappeared for several days then unexpectedly came home. From my point of view this 140 disappeared for 50 years though. I'm really out of touch with 140 lore. It's somewhat like starting over again learning about them. Gonna have to cram like I used to the night before exams because I'm determined to get this 140 up and running and mowing soon. It's gonna be a great feeling. Grandpa was the last to use it ~50 years ago so even the grass I found under the deck cover is somewhat nostalgic to me. I need to go over the whole thing and check everything. Half a century is a long time for something to hibernate without at least some deterioration to moving parts. Steering is really stiff from lack of use. I had a 212 like that. All the moving parts were crammed with dry old grease. It steered excellent when I was done though. Felt like a 318 w/PS. My 214 steers pretty well now too after some work but not like that 212 did.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts