Weekend Freedom Machines banner
41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I just recalled the front tires on the 140 I sold years ago were 20's. Now I just have to remember where I got them. Trying to remember shlt is one of my hobbies.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Got any shots of Senor Rumpa?
Some more engine pics..

K532 in my blower 400. Tore it apart down to the shortblock and did a prep and paint. Used green for the tin. The cam gear crumbled not long after this pic was taken though. Dammit.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

A K301 I did years ago. Other than the dipstick it was painted correctly. According to my own research anyway. I always do the dipsticks handles yellow so they stand out.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

I do V8's too. (y)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Electrical wiring

Not a complete tear down. Just cleaned the engine up and painted the red flywheel shroud green. That's all it needed. It starts and runs sweet. Couldn't ask for better.
Motor vehicle Green Car Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The K582 I put in my restored 400. Spent quite a bit of time making it look good. Didn't need any mechanical work at all. It's (still) a real gem.
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Engineering

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A 5 HP B&S as it looks today. I did a makeover on it about 20 years ago and put it on a little rear engine JD mower. It was a copper color to start with. My brother bought it new and put it on a dinky little Ariens mower. I just moved it from the old shed to the shop. No use for it at the moment but ya never know.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Gas Cameras & optics

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
Mr. Photoshop (that would be you Army). Can you do a color change on a JD tractor drawing making it all shiny black aside from a yellow seat, wheels and hood decals? In my mind it would look sharp, kinda hot rod style.

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
Ok Army, no need to mock it up, we have seen the real thing. Damn! What a colorful collection of Deere machines, makes me Green with envy! Thanks for posting that MJ!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
John Lang had some cool black ones.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Got some more done yesterday on the K321. You know.. the one I'm not gonna be able to use (dammit!). I'm looking over the 12 HP that was in dad's LT 120 as a substitute for the K321 but I can't get the Philips headed bolts out that fasten the flywheel screen on. I'm gonna run the engine today to make sure it's still running really good, then figure out how to get those $#@! little bolts out. Might have to drill and Easy-Out them. Whoever came up with Philips screw heads should have to eat a Jethro sized cereal bowl full of rusty ones soaking in scuzzy oil. Same with the slot type. All hail Robertson headed screws!
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tread

I made a new spark plug wire up. I have a good size spool of black 8mm wire and lots of the doo dads needed to make up complete wires. I also have antique looking wire in different sizes that dad used on his stationary engines. I forget the brand name. I like them but they don't suit the era of small engines this K321 is from. The tin on the head is just sitting there for now. The paint hasn't cured enough to push down on it yet.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

.It's a bit crowded in the hoist bay. It'll improve when I sell the.. uh.. um.. ok, I can't think of one thing I'd let go at this particular moment.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

These two parts pics show what the finish actually looks like in person using med gloss black. I used flat black for some other things like the flywheel and muffler paint on the heads (20 bucks a can at Deere!). The contrast makes an engine look 'natural', to me anyway.
Audio equipment Gas Automotive tire Bumper Gadget

This piece turned out really good too.
Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Font Gas

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
Speaking of Phillips-head screws.....I picked up a 1972 Honda CB350 just to play around with and I had a bitch of a time trying to remove the Phillips-head screws. That is when I learned that they are different from US-spec screws, they are a JIS (Japanese Institute of Standards) screw. Once I got the right JIS bits I was good to go. Gotta have a snug fit to prevent camming them out.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I have the right Philips head and I tapped it in nice and tight before I tried using it. But the screws are so bloody tight the engine was rolling over instead of the screws turning when I was trying to remove them.

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
Have you tried a little battery-powered impact? Of course you have!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
What you guys need is a old fashioned hammer impact. It'll remove those Japanese MC screws that were made of cheese. They will be about the only thing to remove those stubborn fan screws. I have one from Snap-on and it's one of my MVP tools. You can get a decent one at HF or the Canadian version.

Get some good bits for it.

41 - 60 of 141 Posts