Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit...First post, and meant to put this in the Restoration and Repair-->Hydrostatic Drive Tractors area. Maybe someone can move it.

I purchased a 317 with a very tired leaky and smoky engine. It came with a spare M18 Kohler that was rebuilt, but the owner said something was wrong with one of the pistons. The engine honestly looks brand new inside and out. Both cylinders were perfectly round and square and both exactly the same size. The crankshaft is also perfectly round, and zero signs of any wear. Bad news is that it appears the guy messed up assembling the oil scraper ring on one side and it gouged one cylinder. I've got parts coming and someone lined up to re-bore the cylinders.

Anyway, my question is regarding the tips and tricks of sealing these engines up. What do the pros recommend? Any areas I need to use something special on? It was assembled with something I'd compare to Yamabond 4 squished inside and out everywhere, and it was a real pain scraping it all off. The guy did not use a gasket below the cylinders either, just the grey sealant. I'd assume this will tighten up the head to piston clearance, and may not be desirable. Also there was no gasket on the front plate, just the sealant. Maybe this is something that is done now, but I would think the gasket would be the answer. Also, he used the grey stuff between the case halves, which I assume was correct. Help reassure me on the assembly tips, and I'll be forever thankful.

Brandon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One quick question. Looking at the cylinders, they have a small hole near the bottom of the barrel, and only one cylinder has a port on the base of the cylinder, which goes to that little hole in the bore. Is that typical? If so, what is that port for?

·
Super Moderator
3,531 Posts
Sounds like the guy did not have an understanding of the value of gaskets or the use of sealants. Many people will use way too much and the problem with that is that you can't always control where the excess goes. Just "messy" as my granddaughter would say. I have not worked on a kohler so I'll let other people speak to those issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the guy did not have an understanding of the value of gaskets or the use of sealants. Many people will use way too much and the problem with that is that you can't always control where the excess goes. Just "messy" as my granddaughter would say. I have not worked on a kohler so Inlet other people speak to those issues.
No doubt, sealants can work great, but too much can cause some issues. There was some squished in to that little port on the cylinder base, some on what I assume is an oil pressure relief or check valve. Both lifters had a gob around the stems. And then there was the squished bead throughout the whole case that would have been coming off and going who knows where.

·
Super Moderator
3,531 Posts
No doubt, sealants can work great, but too much can cause some issues.
This made me think of the Brylcreem commercial "A little dab will do you". It's an old commercial.

Reactions: bwthor

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are no gaskets either in the crankcase halves or the cylinder bases. Use a fresh tube of Form a Gasket or equivilent. This is how the engine is designed. I would suggest obtaining a Service manual for the Magnum engine. It describes the proper procedure for assembling the engine. I believe a search will produce a downloadable manual.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are no gaskets either in the crankcase halves or the cylinder bases. Use a fresh tube of Form a Gasket or equivilent. This is how the engine is designed. I would suggest obtaining a Service manual for the Magnum engine. It describes the proper procedure for assembling the engine. I believe a search will produce a downloadable manual.
Thank you Jetjoe. I did have the service manual downloaded from Kohler. Just got confused when the gasket kit showed the base gasket and front cover gasket. After a little more reading, I did see the section about later models going to sealant only. Appreciate your response.

Guess I should have read the manual a little closer first, but I was hoping to get a conversation going regarding best practices. I think I'm pretty much set. Just waiting for parts now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts