Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Price is way too high but no PS would be a deal breaker for me too. I have an old ad stashed somewhere where Sears tries to compare this tractor to a JD 400. I don't recall the particular points they made but it was pretty lame and vague. Kinda like the things you might say to get somebody to go on a blind date with a homely chick (or guy!). Here's the FB ad. Log into Facebook
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 318
1,901 Posts
That is pretty nice even if not yellow/green, how much were they asking?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Agree with Army. I have the MTD 995 I am refreshing which I am sure was marketed against the 400/420 Deere GT's They have some nice features but are seriously lacking without power steering. My "Ollie" (wannabe Oliver) will be a nice snow blower machine but value nowhere near a Deere 400.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
FB ad is gone now but it was priced just under 6K, which is way too much. A small loader like that would go for about $2,000 around here these days and no way the Sears tractor is worth 4 grand without it.

I had this old ad stashed in my pics. Hard to read it. I know I could at one time so either my eyesight is getting worse or the image has somehow been degraded. It almost looks like it was scanned from paper but it wasn't.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Fyi.. my parts 400 steered not too bad with the steering cyl and steering valve out of the loop. I removed the steering valve to rebuild it and stash it away ready to use. I still wanted to be able to steer it for moving it around so I used a steel rod to take the place of the valve assembly and took the steering cylinder off too.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dammit.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note the rear wheels on the Sears. They're 6 bolt but the hubs are smaller than a 400.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not anti-Sears btw. I had this Diehard for a while. Got it for free. Worked A1. There was enough space under the hood for 3 engines. Was kinda like a puffer fish. Didn't have room to keep it, or more accurately, I didn't want to keep it bad enough to come up with the space. My brother has it now.
Wheel Tire Plant Mower Vehicle

·
Registered
187 Posts
Price is way too high but no PS would be a deal breaker for me too. I have an old ad stashed somewhere where Sears tries to compare this tractor to a JD 400. I don't recall the particular points they made but it was pretty lame and vague. Kinda like the things you might say to get somebody to go on a blind date with a homely chick (or guy!). Here's the FB ad. Log into Facebook
View attachment 275267
Not for me and it was overpriced, but sure looked like it was one "cherry" old craftsman.....loader and all.

I'd say it was either very well cared for or had some type of restoration. Looks about as optioned up as you could get it with the loader and 3 pt hitch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts