Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this 64' From Jerry Long here on the forum. Great guy. It's needing some work, and a couple other things to bring it back to original but until then I decided to get an ear;y start on the deck as this machine will be cutting a lot of grass this upcoming season. At the same time I'll be starting work on getting the engine rebuilt or replaced (hence smokey) , and finally a hitch as I've got several sleeve hitch implements and a plot that will need tending in late Feb.

Anyone considering rebuilding their 38' deck below are some helpful part numbers. Especially the bearings and current prices I've seen off ebay. Thankfully I only need to replace one bearing. Very quiet deck. Brass tag 38 - 6229. After sand blasting, decals, and bearing replacement, paint, and some hardware I'm looking at around $100-$125 to mildly restore the cutting deck. Hope to have it back from Sand blaster Mon-Tues, and primed and painted by the end of the week. Re-assembled by next weekend. Hope.

# m74707 Deck Pulley Bearing
Qty 1 Cost $16
-----------------
# 6203-2RS Idler Pulley Bearings
Qty 2 Cost $4
Or
AM37249 Idler Pulley w/ Bearing
Qty 2 Cost $30
-------------------
# JD9296 Mandrel Bearings
Qty 6 Cost $20
-------------------
Hapco Mower Deck Decal Set 6364D
Qty 1 $35
-------------------
Blade 14" X 11/16" or M41237 or AM30698
Qty 3 Cost $30

















 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,328 Posts
Chris,
Nice 110. Are those 23 x 8.50 x 12 tires on the back? If we were closer, I wouldn't mind dealing my 6-12 Goodyear ags and the narrow rims and a little cash for those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome fellas. Terry, They are 10.50's, but they went to a new home today. Ended up finding a set of narrow rears this week.

Got the deck back from the blaster, got it and some other parts primed, then painted. Still some work to be done but got a solid platform.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to get some more work done to the mowing deck. Almost done! Also the narrow rear wheels showed up. Have one blasted and waiting to do the other.. Hope to have them both painted this weekend. New tires en route as well. Went with the D'stn 8.50x12 instead of the Mtire 6x12's. Saved $40 and will have as much tire as possible on the ground mounted on original narrow rears. Will be pulling some implements with this machine.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got the frame stripped and painted, slowly processing all the small parts. Picked up a Harbor freight blast cabinet. Using Rustoleum JD paint. Turning out nice... About 1/2 done with all the parts.. Blasting, Priming, then Painting.

Had the 8.50s mounted on the rear narrows today.. Looks good.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Title says "mild" restore....I see the bug has taken over you as well! My 64 has seen late last year mowing duty. Although I havent restored the deck like you did! I also did some tilling with my 30 tiller and extension. Awesome job you are doing! Glad to see also you are going to actually use it, like I do. I enjoyed her beauty for awhile, then started her to work, as intended. Keep us updated.







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks JJ.

I was hoping not to go all the way at first but one thing kept leading to another and it was hard to justify not doing this or that...

Here are some pics of the 8.50s on narrow rears for those interested or curious. These are Deestone tires, about $50ea. from Cleveland tire.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slowly moving along.. Still a lot to go. Here are some pics of the progress. Also some neat extras that will eventually find their way on the machine. Narrow wheel set, double notch rear weights, front slab weight, hitch (complete), and pair of head lights.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Kalin

I'm using Rust-oleum's JD paint from Lowes. It sprays good and is half the cost. It turns out well. Biggest challenge/test will be the Fenders and Hood. Each piece is media blasted, primed, then painted.

Re: J.L.

It's coming along, hope to have it done by the time you get back! Hope. I'd love that 110H. Like to find a 30 tiller is next. Send me some pics of that machine when you get a chance.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,867 Posts
Nice, doing it right. Only proper way is to sandblast it down to bare metal and start over.

I have had decent luck with the colors of the rustolium green and yellow and have been using it for my stuff lately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Chris.

Looking Great!!! The 8.50's look like at home on the narrow rims. The front narrow rims and high ribbed look and work excellent… I am happy to see a another 64 restored!!! Soon time for the motor.

J.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top