Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Smokey 64' 110 - Mild Restore 38 Mowing Deck and More

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  goodine 
#1 ·
Picked up this 64' From Jerry Long here on the forum. Great guy. It's needing some work, and a couple other things to bring it back to original but until then I decided to get an ear;y start on the deck as this machine will be cutting a lot of grass this upcoming season. At the same time I'll be starting work on getting the engine rebuilt or replaced (hence smokey) , and finally a hitch as I've got several sleeve hitch implements and a plot that will need tending in late Feb.

Anyone considering rebuilding their 38' deck below are some helpful part numbers. Especially the bearings and current prices I've seen off ebay. Thankfully I only need to replace one bearing. Very quiet deck. Brass tag 38 - 6229. After sand blasting, decals, and bearing replacement, paint, and some hardware I'm looking at around $100-$125 to mildly restore the cutting deck. Hope to have it back from Sand blaster Mon-Tues, and primed and painted by the end of the week. Re-assembled by next weekend. Hope.

# m74707 Deck Pulley Bearing
Qty 1 Cost $16
-----------------
# 6203-2RS Idler Pulley Bearings
Qty 2 Cost $4
Or
AM37249 Idler Pulley w/ Bearing
Qty 2 Cost $30
-------------------
# JD9296 Mandrel Bearings
Qty 6 Cost $20
-------------------
Hapco Mower Deck Decal Set 6364D
Qty 1 $35
-------------------
Blade 14" X 11/16" or M41237 or AM30698
Qty 3 Cost $30

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the welcome fellas. Terry, They are 10.50's, but they went to a new home today. Ended up finding a set of narrow rears this week.

Got the deck back from the blaster, got it and some other parts primed, then painted. Still some work to be done but got a solid platform.

#8 ·
I was able to get some more work done to the mowing deck. Almost done! Also the narrow rear wheels showed up. Have one blasted and waiting to do the other.. Hope to have them both painted this weekend. New tires en route as well. Went with the D'stn 8.50x12 instead of the Mtire 6x12's. Saved $40 and will have as much tire as possible on the ground mounted on original narrow rears. Will be pulling some implements with this machine.

#10 ·
I've got the frame stripped and painted, slowly processing all the small parts. Picked up a Harbor freight blast cabinet. Using Rustoleum JD paint. Turning out nice... About 1/2 done with all the parts.. Blasting, Priming, then Painting.

Had the 8.50s mounted on the rear narrows today.. Looks good.

#11 ·
Title says "mild" restore....I see the bug has taken over you as well! My 64 has seen late last year mowing duty. Although I havent restored the deck like you did! I also did some tilling with my 30 tiller and extension. Awesome job you are doing! Glad to see also you are going to actually use it, like I do. I enjoyed her beauty for awhile, then started her to work, as intended. Keep us updated.

#12 ·
Thanks JJ.

I was hoping not to go all the way at first but one thing kept leading to another and it was hard to justify not doing this or that...

Here are some pics of the 8.50s on narrow rears for those interested or curious. These are Deestone tires, about $50ea. from Cleveland tire.

#16 ·
Re: Kalin

I'm using Rust-oleum's JD paint from Lowes. It sprays good and is half the cost. It turns out well. Biggest challenge/test will be the Fenders and Hood. Each piece is media blasted, primed, then painted.

Re: J.L.

It's coming along, hope to have it done by the time you get back! Hope. I'd love that 110H. Like to find a 30 tiller is next. Send me some pics of that machine when you get a chance.

#17 ·
Nice, doing it right. Only proper way is to sandblast it down to bare metal and start over.

I have had decent luck with the colors of the rustolium green and yellow and have been using it for my stuff lately.

#21 ·
Jerry is right, those fronts look great. Good job on the paint!

#24 ·
Thanks Fella's. I know I've got it pretty easy being so far south. The weather has been awful here but nothing compared to what some of you got to deal with this time of year..

Some more progress.. Picked up a 66' 110H and 67' 110 from a fella in Moss Point, MS which is about an hour drive from me.. Plan is to take the H parts off the 66' and put them on the 67' since the 110H frame, etc is too far gone for me.

Would like to give a shout out to Jerry Long and Brad Schumacher. These fella's have been a tremendous amount of help with guidance and parts. These guys are good to deal with, Thank you for all your help and patience. Engine pictured I picked up from Brad. It has been bored .20 over with Kohler internals.

67' 110H, deck for the 66' & 67'. Front blade, Spare block, Misc parts, etc..

New Harbor freight toy!

67' with the Babys Peg Perego, Clist Special.
Uses an Alarm battery now, Replacements are too $$

Fresh build by Brad S.

Beginning Prep

Engine

Painted and Misc Covers and mounted to Frame

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.