Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I'm brand new to this forum and to being a John Deere owner. I have many questions about my 318 restoration but for starters... is the 54" angle plow and the 49" blower the only snow attachments that fit the 318? I have a big John Deere auction coming up and I wanna make educated purchases when I get there. What should I keep my eyes peeled for? How can I be certain it'll fit my machine and not intended for something else?

As I said, I'm brand new to this so feel free to give all the knowledge you can.

Thanks so much!
Doug
:usa:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Deere also made the #47 2 stage snow blowers for 318's.

·
Registered
502 Posts
some people use sweepsters but that only works with light small amounts of snow so not the best option

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
the two stage blowers could have the wrong gear box, has happened here a few times.

the 49 thrower is not a blower

54 2 way plow
54 4 way plow
54c center blade

I think if you never get more than 3 feet of snow a 49 thrower is enough as the 47 freezer sized blower is a bit over kill and needs a lot of ballast

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hi knotty, the 47 Quickhitch is smaller than the chest freezer so could be an option as a previous poster mentioned, although I don't know their relative weights. I have 350# of rail fishplates on my 430's 3pt, plus my JD cab, plus 220# of driver, and usually it's pretty good although if I get on to the lawn with a few inches it gets a little sketchy for traction if I have the blower hoisted. Really need front wheel assist then I could do away with the rear weight.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The major problem with a #47 Quickhitch for the 318 is finding one, or at least finding the hitch and drive parts.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Jay, the hitches are out there. You just have to go for them when you see them. Apparently I must have reputation as buyer of these as the last one I bought WFM member sent me a PM asking is I was in the market. I really only wanted the pto but bought complete setup minus M120121 drive pulley. I have 4 hitches with 3 pto drives. The components except bracket for the drive can be bought from Surplus Center.

There is a hitch for sale on CL Appleton (Wisconsin). The hitch has both lift & angle cylinders. Photo shows it also has guard for pto so I suspect it is all setup for pto usage. Ad does not say it includes pto. I think sellers asking price is real reasonable. Been for sale for a long time. May be sold but seller did not take down the ad.

Gabby

The major problem with a #47 Quickhitch for the 318 is finding one, or at least finding the hitch and drive parts.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I actually have one, but it took me a LONG time to find it.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Neil, the model 47 quick hitch is kind of elaborate but overkill for just the snowblower. The hitch is used on the snowblower, a 54" blade, and model 51 broom. The broom and blade use the angle function of the hitch but snowblower angle is locked out. I am building a mount for a cub/international snowblower to fit the quick hitch. Fairly simple to mount items to the hitch but the hitch itself is kind of complicated especially if you are going to provide shaft driven power to the attachment. Snowblower I am adapting was used on a Deere 425 by a PO so I knew it could be done but not sure pto speeds are correct. We will see.

What is nice about the hitch is that you change attachments in a couple of minutes. Biggest issue again is disconnecting/connecting driveshaft ... Gabby

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your responses.
So I learned there's a difference between a thrower and blower.
This quick hitch you guys are talking about, will that be on an angle plow if I buy one or not necessarily? Would that hitch be usable for a blower as well?
Also, will the 46 and 47 blowers be pretty expensive? I'm not looking to spend more that $500-600 on this attachment. Its looking like the angle plow will be what I get.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Doug,
Welcome to WFM. Its a great place to get your questions answered and a place to learn. You mention a big auction coming up. Can you share to location and date??

Mitch Daly

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doug,
Welcome to WFM. Its a great place to get your questions answered and a place to learn. You mention a big auction coming up. Can you share to location and date??

Mitch Daly
Well then I'll have more people there driving up the bids that I'm trying to win. Ha!
Of course I'll share.
It's the annual Hilltop Sales auction in Bangor, Pa on April 1st. Although it's mostly John Deere equipment and parts, there is all sorts(other brands) of outdoor equipment and parts there.
This is my first year attending with a purpose.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I dont know what you experience for snow each year, but in my experience in Minnesota, Ive never seen a snowfall or plow pile a 49 snow thrower couldnt handle. If you get a lot of sloppy cement snow, the rubber flap mod is a big help. Plow blades require a lot more traction since your pushing the snow , and also require plowing extra space to store the snow you plow over the course of a winter. With blowers/throwers you can pick and choose where to place the snow and change directions on the fly. If I could only have 1 and with your budget, it would be a 49

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Hello again Doug.

1. 318 quick hitch has angle function for plow or broom usage. The hitch is pinned to cancel angle function with snow blower. Most hitches purchased with model 47 snow blower do not include angle cylinder or hoses but can be added. Purchased with blade typically include angle cylinder.
  2. Bottom line is quick hitch setups exceed your financial goal due to price of the hitch. Where I live hitches are normally in $600-700; $900 if they include pto drive required for broom or snow blower. Blades are approx $900 for blade and hitch (w/angle cylinder). About the cheapest you will find a model 47 with hitch is $1200, and you will look a long time to find one at that cost.
That being said I think you should not be looking for a quick hitch setup because I don't believe you will find one in your price range.

Your alternatives are
  1. Frame mounted 54" blades. Without angle function $350 ... With angle function $500
  2. Model 49 snow blowers can be found all day long approx $400. You will see some for sale cheaper but beware, check condition of shell to make sure it is not rotted and have holes thru the shell. There will be many over $400 but it just depends on condition.
I have no idea what your property is like. If you have room and don't mind piles of snow blades work fine but in heavy snowfall locations you have to remember early cleanings need to be pushed back to make room for later cleaning. Model 49 can be upgraded to sling the snow back out of the way.

About now is the time to be looking for snow clearing equipment. Members are removing them from their tractors and some are looking for replacement or are hiring work done and don't want to store this equipment. Better deals can be found this time of year. Likewise this is not the ideal time to be shopping for a tiller.

Good luck with your search ... Gabby

Thank you for your responses.
So I learned there's a difference between a thrower and blower.
This quick hitch you guys are talking about, will that be on an angle plow if I buy one or not necessarily? Would that hitch be usable for a blower as well?
Also, will the 46 and 47 blowers be pretty expensive? I'm not looking to spend more that $500-600 on this attachment. Its looking like the angle plow will be what I get.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Neil, the model 47 quick hitch is kind of elaborate but overkill for just the snowblower.
Oh I know, but if a fellow really wanted one, they can always be fabricated ... : )

74H3 - I don't know what others do with their snow but I blow mine right into the middle of my neighbor's driveway! (After his plow guy goes tearing up his drive and plows all his snow on to my drive : ) My neighbor just shrugs and thinks we're both idiots (and he's not really wrong....)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.