Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you moving snow around - a couple of questions:

1. How much snow will you typically tackle with that tractor?
2. What is the set up? (ag tires, fluid, chains, weight box)?
3. Anyone using a Buford Bucket/Johnny Bucket/Little Beaver loader for snow?

I have plowed with larger units but this is year 1 with 332.

TYIA

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
420 and 46 thrower since 2004 with bald tires and chains, starter wheel weights and 4 suitcase weights so i could back up a hill.

140 and 46 thrower with wheel weights, turfs and chains currently used

Go out every foot and have fun.

When too deep take a top cut then bottom cut

When 3 foot deep, takes 2 top cuts and a lot of lever action

Reactions: Capndar

·
Registered
66 Posts
318 model 49 blower with smaller sprocket, and home built hard side cab, 1 set of wheel weights and chains, no fluid in tires.
I went through a drift that was as high as the roof of the cab (about 5' 8")
Go slow and take it in bites.
I have since added a rear weight box with 150 lbs of lead for doing the neighbors steep driveway.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I move 8' and 10' drifts with 2' to 3' regular snows with my 47" 2S snowblower on my 318. Just have to take top layer then bottom layer a few feet in length. Drifts you knock down but cutting with drift blade and under cut the drift. Weight will bring drift down doing that. Just plan on hours of fun!! Have plenty of fuel, oil, shear bolts, hot beverages, warm clothes/gloves. I think I look forward to it more than mowing for some odd reason.

Chains on rear tires, 6 weights on rear 3 pt weight bar, Extra LED lights for night operations. Hopefully soon a cab to keep the snow from turning me into old Frosty the snow man from when the winds like to be of a variable direction

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Russ, it’s because it feels more like work than mowing. At least that’s why I like blowing snow over mowing.

’67 112 w/ 36 blower. Soft cab, turfs with chains, 1 pair of wheel weights, and 2 suitcase weights. (Soon to be 4 suitcase weights, only because my rack is made for 4). Most snow I’ve gotten in one shot is about 16” since I’ve gone to this setup.

Snow blower Mode of transport Vehicle Snow Snow removal
Obviously just a few inches when this was taken.

I know a 112 is nowhere near the machine a 318 is, just showing that the deciding factor is relatively the height of the blower opening, at least for a single pass.

·
Registered
239 Posts
322 , turfs with chains, wheel weights, 4 suitcase weights on back.
200 foot gravel drive plus parking for 8. Also plow grass path around house to get ice fishing rig out of basement.
54” 4 way snow blade. With 1 1/2” pvc pipe on the cutting edge to avoid digging.

I will usually plow anything under 6”, I have a 35hp cut with 3pt blower for anything more.
last year we had a storm with 8” of pure slush which I wouldn’t even think of blowing. The 322 and plow handled it well with a bit of grunting. It was like trying to plow a smoothie.
I would not recommend a bucket unless you are moving banks back or dealing with a large pile at the end of the driveway. Buckets are for scooping and dumping.
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Lawn

Motor vehicle Mode of transport Yellow Vehicle Asphalt

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
This will be my first year using a 318 to. I'm using a 54 power angle quick hitch blade. I put a 3 or on the back. Got 4 suit case weights initially, then welded 2 pieces of pipe for more weight. Put 4 25 lb plate weights on it so far. I can add 2 more yet to. Got a set of wheel weights to.
I did use the blade for pushing some stone around in the driveway before painting it. Just had the suit case weights on it then. I thought it did very well moving the stone, but I figured more weight couldnt hurt.
I'm still waiting to try it out. If I have problems, I can still add chains, ww fluid and 2 plate weights yet.
I dont think the snow has a chance, lol.
Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Lawn Grass
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Lawn

I'm also getting a 37a ready to try on my 212. Just for fun.
If all that fails, I'll get my wolvy and 72 in blade out. Nothing stops that when in 4wd lock.

·
Super Moderator
3,989 Posts
I have used a 318 with 54 blade and a 318 with 44 loader. The year I used the 44 loader we had lots of snow and it helped to build large snow banks. But lately we haven't had a large amount of snow in this area.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I easily push through a foot of snow with the 54 blade. Six suitcases, one set of wheel weights front and rear, Vredestein v61 tires on the front, Carlisle All Trail rears, no chains. 150 feet of lumpy asphalt drive with steep grade up to the road. I use the little blade height feet if I need to plow a path back to the old shed. I've only been stuck in reverse while high centering. Diff-lock and Turtle gear with a little rocking motion always gets me unstuck.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Riding mower Outdoor power equipment

Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Machine Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
239 Posts
Knockknock,
I like that 1 to 4 light bulb adaptor, didn’t know they existed. Just ordered 2 to replace a couple of 1 to 2 bulb adaptors where I could use more light. Thanks

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Registered
392 Posts
Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about Andrew ;) Yeah, they are great stop-gaps for the time being. Highly recommend with LED bulbs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Andrew - Thanks - how is the pvc secured? Do you have to replace it often?

KnockKnock - I missed the light bulb thing - do you have a photo?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The pvc is just driven on with a block of wood and hammer after I cut a 3/8” slot in it with the table-saw. My cutting edge is quite worn and the 1 1/2” pvc just happened to nest in nice on top of the wear bar and the back of the plow.
The piece on the plow in post #7 is 2 years old and you can see the flat spot on the bottom, it lasted one more year. The second piece I put on lasted one snow storm. It was 5* F out and just shattered when it hit a rock frozen to the driveway. I replaced it and it lasted the rest of last season.
This spring I did buy a piece of 1 1/2” galv electrical pipe. Still have to borrow a plasma cutter to slot it, and I think I will just tac weld it to the plow in a few places.
I have to say, it really works great, no gravel in the grass and very little driveway maintenance in the spring.

Capndar, the light fixture is in Knockknock332 ‘s second pic above his tractor.

Floor Flooring Tile Hardwood Laminate flooring

Reactions: doug_cartwright

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have only made it throught 1 winter without chains. If you have traction problems after chains,add weight. 4 suitcase weights is where I start with a plow and go up as needed, at least 6 for a blower. Last year I started using a 332 and 44 loader. Its good for some of the long pushes I do around the neiborhood that end in a pile (no room on the side) I built a weight bar that holds up to 11 weights. 8 or 9 is usally plenty with weighted tires.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,989 Posts
I have only made it throught 1 winter without chains. If you have traction problems after chains,add weight. 4 suitcase weights is where I start with a plow and go up as needed, at least 6 for a blower. Last year I started using a 332 and 44 loader. Its good for some of the long pushes I do around the neiborhood that end in a pile (no room on the side) I built a weight bar that holds up to 11 weights. 8 or 9 is usally plenty with weighted tires.
This reminds me of the piling of snow I did one year.

Reactions: doug_cartwright

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
For those of you moving snow around - a couple of questions:

1. How much snow will you typically tackle with that tractor?
2. What is the set up? (ag tires, fluid, chains, weight box)?
3. Anyone using a Buford Bucket/Johnny Bucket/Little Beaver loader for snow?

I have plowed with larger units but this is year 1 with 332.

TYIA
The amount of snow you can move is dependent on how much pain you can tolerate. I've moved 10 foot deep drifts back in Minnesota. Biggest issue is the slope of your driveway. Blowing deep snow with one of these tractors going forward down a hill is a lost cause. I don't care how much weight you hang on it. Forward is fine, backing up often times requires a pull. You better make it all the way through on your first pass.

I actually got myself trapped inside the cab once as the drift was so deep that during the first pass on the previously mentioned downhill drift I couldn't get out as the doors were blocked with the drift. Sure glad the wife and kids were close by. Fortunately, we had a neighbor who took pity on me and with every snowfall he made a pass with his farm tractor mounted blower. From that point on and until we moved, the 318 was relegated to clean up duties.

For snow,
Ag tires are Ok (sort of) on gravel drives. On hard surface they soon can become useless. The bars provide very little surface where the rubber meets the pavement. (Or, usually ice) I used turf tires, weights, fluid filled tires and chains. And it had a cab. Ag tires are for soil work such as plowing or perhaps tilling. Any other use is a misapplication.

As for a bucket? I never had one but I can't see it being of any more value than a front mounted plow wouldn't offer. Just not enough reach to be effective.

Being a 332 is physically no larger than a 318, and engine power was never the issue with the 318, I can't see much of a difference between the two. I see you're in Carolina and I doubt you ever get the snows similar to Minnesnowta, as Phlash would say. (Sirius 60's channel) But you do have hills. If that's your case, good luck. Not trying to be negative here, just passing on my experience.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here is my setup, pictures from last year. This 312 has a 14HP K321, engine power is not an issue, traction is lost before running out of power!

I have 23x8.50-12 turfs with chains for the winter. With the mini-loader, all that weight is needed :)

As for plowing with the bucket, it can be a slow process with time spent raising and dumping bucket, and doing all the spill-over cleanup.

I have a new creation to try this winter... A 40" self-powered CAT-0 blower I built this summer! Just waiting for some more snow to try that out!

Tom

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts