Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a friend with a 400 and a front pto. He has a snowblower but needs the pto shaft. Anyone got one?

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
No photos, no description of the snow blower, and no location. You are wasting our time. Are we supposed to read your mind. I have a model 50 for Deere 400 GT. It has the short drive shaft. I have no idea if this is what you are asking about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well gabby, yes model 50 and yes, if it has a front pto, then I would think commonsense should tell you, yes I need a short shaft. It's not my machine as I stated in the post, so no I have no pics. And yes it's for a 400 series machine. So if there is anything else I needed to make myself clear, then I'm sorry. I dont deal with 400 series for the simple fact that there parts dont work with anything else usually. So if I'm still wasting your time, just keep scrolling and keep the smart ass comments to yourself.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Guess you don't want the part. Keep looking. They are difficult to find.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
For what its worth the 400 tractor used different parts than the other 400 series tractors so Gabbys response was correct. Way back in the mid 1970s I worked at a JD Consumer Products dealer and people were always getting mad when you asked what tractor is the part for. Their response was there all the same. When I explained that the wrong starter switch in a 112 could instantly burn out a Tecumseh SSI ignition and even in 1975 it was a $200 part. Then they brought some info on the tractor. Roger

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Thank you Roger.

I had a long response prepared but deleted it. We are a site where members are supposed to assist each other. To do so communication is key.It is difficult to assist if information is not provided.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then I will apologize, I assumed a 400 was a 400. And I looked some things up and only found the series 50 blower was the only blower that was listed to fit a 400. If i was wrong i apologize. That's why the post was dogeneral information. But I'm not here to waste anyone's time, so a little courtesy on everyones behalf would of solved the problem. So with that being said, the shaft looks to be about 6.5 inches long.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
so a little courtesy on everyones behalf would of solved the problem.
You have no reason to apologize. All you did was ask a question. There was no need to slam you. WFM has always been helpful and congenial about such things. Would be a damn shame if that's no longer the case.

Reactions: mike and jd140

·
Registered
801 Posts
A 400 PTO shaft for the 50 is unique to the 400. A 420 shaft for a 50 looks very close but is about an inch longer. They are not interchangeable without some machining and welding. The splines and gearbox ends are the same.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
All the driveshaft components are available separately and you can make those shafts up. I bought some 15 spline to fix up something of mine (it was the TiltDump MCS) - new yokes, spline, bearings. I've made up a few new shafts - one for the 48 tiller, and another for the 60 mower. I have yet to do the new shaft (really it's just two yokes with an H because it's short) for the 543 front pto, and for the 44 loader but I can get everything I need from online sellers. PaulB will make up shafts for you if you want. That right angle gearbox might be available off the shelf at Surplus Center, if you can figure out the ratio and see if they have one. Need to check the rotation of the shafts relative to each other (SC sell both)

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Just to follow up on Neil's suggestion, I once considered making the short Model 50 driveshaft, but did not follow through. Here is a link with a suggested vendor and some parts options: 50 snowblower driveshaft. Some of the info may be dated, but it is a place to start if you want to fabricate the shaft.
Harold

1 - 14 of 14 Posts