Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas...just picked up a snowthrower that i was told came off a 318, serial # EO600-003278...shouldn't it be a "49" model for this tractor? it looks like it should fit, but the serial # is throwing me for a loop, no pun intended. thanks

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Model 49 s/n doesn't matter. Old or new it will fit the 318. E0600 would be an early attachment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Model 49 s/n doesn't matter. Old or new it will fit the 318. E0600 would be an early attachment.
appreciate the info...i kind of figured but needed some affirmation...its going to clean up nicely and just in time. thanks again!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Given that S/N it should be a 1968 (first year of production). Only caution I'd give you is for 1st couple of years there is no shear pin and the gearbox is NLA and tough to find used. Watch out for frozen newspapers, dog chains, birdfeeders etc.

Good luck cleaning it up, how many other 50 year old things are still functional.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given that S/N it should be a 1968 (first year of production). Only caution I'd give you is for 1st couple of years there is no shear pin and the gearbox is NLA and tough to find used. Watch out for frozen newspapers, dog chains, birdfeeders etc.

Good luck cleaning it up, how many other 50 year old things are still functional.
guess I’ll have to take real good care of this one...I’m glad I’m one of those guys that’s likes the old stuff...

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
The worst thing you can do to these snowthrowers is use them on a gravel drive set to low so it scoops up and throws gravel.. Units used on gravel are generally easy to spot. The shell is dimpled from gravel being wedged between the auger flights and the shell. I had one that was used on a driveway with 3" washed gravel. Gravel wedged the auger and took out the gearbox. They are durable but can be broken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts