Weekend Freedom Machines banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Tell your wallet that its insolvent and proceed anyway...you can always claim insanity later.
If only it was that simple (and I had more time)

·
Super Moderator
3,838 Posts
That is probably the largest reason many people don't try something new.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Just saw this today -- timely to the 'bravery' discussion above...
View attachment 265089

Chuck
Ten fingers, ten toes. We're all equal in that. The difference is what's between the ears. And I don't mean intelligence! You don't need an IQ 150 to do what others do. you just need the ambition and desire.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
296 Posts
Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), "Man in the Arena" speech, April 23, 1910

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who actually strives to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." --

·
Registered
1989 318
631 Posts
Man-o-man, those old politicians were certainly profound. Can anyone think of a current politcian saying anything close to this recently? Yeah, me neither.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Man-o-man, those old politicians were certainly profound. Can anyone think of a current politcian saying anything close to this recently? Yeah, me neither.
Now all it is is villianizing the other side and attempting to drum up votes/ support. No truly bold speeches to pay attention to. =(

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Now all it is is villianizing the other side and attempting to drum up votes/ support. No truly bold speeches to pay attention to. =(
Wouldn't it be great if our politicians had the same spirit as the people they say they serve? Places like WFM and other hobby sites (not Facebook) are a welcome reprieve from the BS on TV and radio these days. Maybe the best thing we find here is encouragement to try and the help to succeed. Too bad it seems to be fading away.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if our politicians had the same spirit as the people they say they serve?
(Sarcastic joke) They do though, make sure their pockets are as full as possible just like all of their business friends they support.

Reactions: gao49

·
Registered
56 Posts
Utilizing the process that I have mentioned before in this post, here are the details for my 332 that I just completed. Keep in mind I am picky about maintenance, functionality, and appearance of the machine.
I bought the 332 with a 50" deck, then found a 49 snow thrower for it to use last winter. I got everything functionally correct, then painted it this spring. The total receipts indicate that I spent in repairs and paint for what I paid for the equipment
332 Before.jpg
332 after.jpg
332 after.jpg
332 after.jpg
. I did all the work myself and my labor is not included in the costs. See attached before and after photos.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Shoot! Another great looking JD that's too nice to use! Good job.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To answer the question above about "What did it cost?", refer to my earlier post about what I use for my rational in doing a garden tractor project. Without getting into the hard cost numbers, here is what I have done to the equipment:
Note 1: Items with asterisks probably could have got by without replacing, but I was there and didn't want to deal with the possibility of a issue in the future.
Note 2: All parts were John Deere dealer sourced parts except items noted with a #
Tractor-
-Engine oil & filter
-Air filter
-Fuel filter
-Anti-freeze #
-Valve cover gasket/o-rings (I set the valves) *
-Fuel tank suction screen and fuel line to injection pump filter
-Fuel tank cap with gauge
-Seat
-Seat safety switch
-Head light bulbs #
-Voltage regulator
-Fan belt
-PTO pulley bearing *
-Front tire tube #
-Rear tire * #
-Hydraulic fluid and filter
-Steering cylinder
-Block heater cord *
-Belly screen #
-Hydro linkage front pin, rear pin bushing
-Instrument cluster graphic #
-Throttle & light switch knob
-Safety decals
Deck-
-Spindle bearings
-Idler pulley
-Front gauge wheels *
-Bushings for rear gauge wheels #
-Discharge chute * # (used)
-Safety decals
Snow Thrower-
-Drive belt
-Belt idler pulley *
-Cross shaft sprocket end bearing *
-Chain tensioner sprocket *
-Auger shear bolts #
Paint
-Gallon of paint thinner #
-Various grits of sanding blocks #
-39 cans of aerosol spray paint (I will readily admit that to paint this tractor, deck, and snow thrower with aerosol paint is plainly just nuts, but I have limited space to work/paint. With aerosol paint cans I can paint as much as I want to in a given available time period and don't have to worry about correctly mixing up the paint or additional time to clean the spray gun). #

Now I going to go put this thing to work and mow my yard......

41 - 56 of 56 Posts