Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I bought a 110 with an odd fitting cab on it. No serial numbers or anything, but fits my 318 pretty well. I've never liked the fabric in the front and this year decided to change it. This is the story.

Before picture
Vehicle Transport Mode of transport Tractor Asphalt

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally, I started with "cardboard CAD" but the cardboard was too flimsy and not precise enough. I wasn't even sure what material I was going to use (wood, plastic, or aluminum). I found 2x4 sheets of peg board on sale at Lowes for $5 and bought several for the mock up. Sturdy enough not to bend, easy to cut, and I even zip tied pieces together through the holes.

Vehicle Tractor

Green Motor vehicle Vehicle Fender Automotive exterior

No idea why the pics are flipping sideways..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided I would go aluminum which meant buying a small hand brake at Harbor Freight. The next major requirement was that it had to be clear on top since the cab actually takes a lot of visibility away in front. And, I wanted to use real weatherstripping to give it a nice professional look. McMaster-Carr had lots of options for that.

I have the aluminum painted up and ready to go, but no pictures yet. Made a small frame for the plexiglass and mounted to a stainless steel piano hinge. More pics probably this weekend with it mounted.

Fictional character

Electric generator Machine Vehicle

·
Registered
68 Posts
That came out great! I have a similar cab, but mine was the one with the partial metal front and canvas "wings" at the bottom. I never liked the canvas and this year made my own 16 gauge steel replacements. Here's what mine looks like

Vehicle Tractor Wheel Car

Yours looks like it has the edge in visibility for sure. Nicely done!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I had a Jd cab that had plywood doors and plexi windows in place of the stock doors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great looking upgrade. This is my first year with a cab. I've also got the soft front cab on a 318. I may have to consider doing the same thing. One thing I'm having trouble with is how close the window frame is to the steering wheel. How much clearance do you between the steering wheel and the bottom of the frame? I've got a feeling mine will be a knuckle buster. Great job on this. Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Upgrade looks nice. Might have to do that myself some day. Went out and bought a generator and electric heater to replace the propane one and what a difference! Asked the wife if I could buy the gen in case we lost power and she said YES!:yahoo:

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Richard, where did you find the rubber seal that seals between the hood and the glass. Is that the same material used to seal foot boxes to the tractor pedestal?

I need to make same upgrade to my cab.

Gabby

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@MJRF100 - there's a couple inches of clearance between the steering wheel and cab brace. It really depends on where you position the cabfor mounting. In my case, I intentionally made sure I had some room there.

@Gabby - It came from McMaster-Carr. I used 1/8 on the sheet metal, and 1/4 inch on the plexiglass.

1120A572 - Water- & Weather-Resistant Rubber Push-on Seal with Bulb on Top, Hollow, for 1/8" Edge, 3/4" Wide

1120A592 - Water- & Weather-Resistant Rubber Push-on Seal with Bulb on Top, Hollow, for 1/4" Edge, 3/4" Wide

Depending on how you set it up, you can get the "bulb" in other locations for a better fit.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I'll have to look at McMaster-Carr. I had a source that sold many different types of moulding/seals and different hardware for pontoon/boat awnings. It looked like a good source but I lost the link ... Gabby

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks great! I had the same cab on my 318. The PO replaced the canvas with sheet aluminum. It was nicer than the canvas but I always hated the lack of visibility. I upgraded to a 445 with a cozy cab, which has a windshield similar to what yours now does, and I can't believe how much better the visibility is. You'll love it!

How do you keep the new lower portion of the windshield closed?

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right now, its just gravity and the snug fit of the weatherstripping holding it down. Its possible that with some wicked wind and just the right angle it could come up, but unlikely. If it does, I will put two small bolts through the windshield and maybe wing nut it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.