Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Snapper wired up and starting, and I'm wondering why were solenoids added to the mix. There's no solenoid on the wiring diagram, and I assume they just didn't include them when this one was made, but at some point mowers started including solenoids between the ignition switch and the starter. I'm sure it serves some purpose, but I don't know what.

· Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
The solenoid purpose is to reduce the amount of current that goes through the switch. The solenoid connects the heavy cable from battery to the starter to transfer the amps needed. otherwise you would burn up the ignition switch,

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you think they were able to get away without one here? Low cranking amps on the battery? I have mine wired like this, and I used the lowest CCA battery they had at the parts store. 235 I think. I guess I'll have my answer if the switch burns out.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

· Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
The positive terminal of the battery is connected to switch and to side of engine. The starter wire runs to end of engine. I am guessing that the starter motor had a solenoid mounted on it. The later B43G and P218 had solenoid on starter and the wiring diagrams would be somewhat similar.

Now I admit I know nothing about snapper but the way switches and solenoids work I am familiar with. And they do make switches that can pass high amperage, just not used in garden tractors

1 - 4 of 4 Posts