Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I picked up an HH100 SSI and it runs great after rebuilding the carburetor... however after mowing a while it will stumble and fall on its face. Clean tank, fresh fuel line, clean sediment bowl, extra inline fuel filter. The weird thing is that it only acts up going uphill. Haven't opened anything up as time have been limited lately. Where should I start to check things?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would say that HH100 (Heavy Horizontal 10 HP) Tecumseh is asking you for a new Coil . 30-45.00 its opening up see it before .Be sure to get something to measure the air gap when replacing it Years ago I used IBM cards for cast iron flywheel and two for Alum ones I believe the gap should be 0.025 You want to make sure both legs of the coil are on the magnets evenly with very light pressure but double check Since my wife tells me I don't see or hear On another note you indicated you rebuild the carb I would highly suggest a inline fuel shut off valve and take any finger nail polish and give the Welch plugs a thin coat around the edge to prevent future air leak since they removed They can be tricky to reinstall. These are only my suggestions Let us know what you actually find

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Here's something to try. After the engine has been warmed up good, repeat as near as possible the uphill scenario. When it starts to act up, get back to level ground and open the main jet needle (bottom) about 1/8 of a turn. Try the hill again, same conditions. If it is better but not quite there, tweak it a bit more and try again. If worse, go the other way (leaner) on the needle.
I don't know if the weather has changed much where you live, but my '68 112 SSI engine liked to have the fuel mixture changed just a little according to the seasons.
Only other things I can think of is the float level or some loose wiring connections.
Good hunting!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine came with a replacement carb that I couldn’t get set right so I rebuilt an original carb. When I rebuilt the carb, the float was set fairly low. I adjusted it to the correct setting. I noticed this issue. So I adjusted the float back to where it was (was set as such on a good running, but worn out engine). Problem seemed to get a bit better.
Last time I mowed with it, the engine seemed off, so after it got good and warm, I adjusted the carb. I leaned it out about a half a turn (main jet) and it ran flawless and strong for just over an hour. I made a few passes up and down the stretch along my driveway which has a section that climbs about 6’ over a stretch of about 35’ and on the 4th pass uphill it started to act up. Downhill is ok, but each time from that point on it acted up until I jumped on my 111 to finish up. When it acted up, I tried playing with the choke, but that didn’t help much. I do remember earlier in the summer I was using my 110 mostly and I had keep richening the mixture until that didn’t help much, turns out the points were closing up they were down to about .008”.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Check points first as cam follower (on points) sometimes wears quickly. Then check fuel line going into tank, maybe a crack in line or clogged strainer? Bob

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
RW that engine doesn't have points it solid state. Mini Homesteader fill the tank fully on the tractor and see if that stops the problem. The carburetor are mounted high on a HH100 compared to the tank and it may be the engine is running out of gas when driving up hill. Roger

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Thanks Roger, kinda what I thought BUT, in his last post: " turns out the points were closing up they were down to about .008”." ( I can get confused easily!) Bob

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the confusion. I should’ve separated the information about the other tractor better.

I only mentioned that to show that an ignition issue(timing in this case) can cause an issue that richening the mixture can hide.

Also of note, this engine was running so well that I would’ve been able to mow my entire yard without having to refill the fuel tank if this didn’t rear it’s ugly head. I was never able to do that with the old engine. I can mow my yard using approximately 3/4 of a tank with my ‘66 110 with same deck, but my old Tecumseh would use almost a tank and a third.

Would it be possible to use an inline spark tester for an extended period of time? Like remove hood and mow the area that it acts up to try to replicate the issue with it installed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a thought here. Not sure if you have checked but there could be some junk sloshing around in the tank that is clogging the fuel strainer in the tank. Level ground..., junk settles allowing fuel but uphill may make it clog the intake screen just egnough for it to stumble. I bought a '68 for parts recently and when I pulled the strainer/shutoff from the tank, it was all full of what looked like horse hair and gunk. Pulled hair out and blew air from outlet side of screen and works great. Could be as simple as that if you haven't got it running yet. Also check that your fuel line does not drop below the carb. Woodpecker is correct. High carb on the HH100. I had one on my test bench that ran like crap. Noticed the fuel line was dipping about 1 1/2" below carb. Raised up and had no more issues. Hope this helps. Pete

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I had a chance mow the yard today. I installed the spark tester to see what it looks like and then put it in my pocket. I mowed the large section of my yard, then headed to the strip of yard where it would act up, and on cue, it acted up. Shut of the tractor and installed spark tester. (Tank was just under half tank). Downhill was fine, turned and headed uphill. At the steepest part (not terribly steep) it acted up, the spark tester seemed to sputter a bit... so my next move, when I get a chance, is to pull the tins and check to make sure so wiring is chewed or rubbed and grounding out the ignition.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis
1 - 10 of 10 Posts