Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1967 JD 110-Rf, 1972 JD 110-SF
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The other night I had a family member stop over to check out the 67' 110 I purchased. I was involved in an accident at work ( no fault of my own or employer) back in early fall and I will be spending most of my time healing in a recliner until April. Curiosity got the best of me about the 110 and had a family member came over to it check out .

With in 10 minutes he got her up in running. Just did the stereotypical stuff, fresh gas, spark plug, and battery. It took some effort about 3 or 4 trys but she fired right up, and moved just to see if everything was functional.

From what he sees needs addressing is:

1) New battery (had a newer battery in it, but when the trickle charger is on it
,it doesn't fully charge. The charger is usually hooked up to my atv and with in 45 minutes has the battery fully charged and maintained, unless it's something more involved in the charging system.

2) Clean up the gas tank it. There's a layer of slime and rust on the bottom of the tank and bowl. I've read these are hard starting, but might explain part of the 3-4 trys starting, tank, lines and carb probably clogged.

3) Clean or rebuild the carb. The mower has to run at half choke full throttle or it'll die. At no choke, and idle it runs okay.

4) Varitor is sloppy. There is no tension in it at all. All sloppy, either something is missing, broke free, or stretched.

5) Mower deck doesn't engage. Hopefully just some sort of safety switch.

6) New front tires or tubes.

I ordered a reprinted manual and multimeter to make things easier. I appreciate the family member coming over to look it over, now I have a game plan and don't have to worry about too much stuff on it. I won't let him have all the fun though this project is motivation for me to heal up fast and enjoy this hobby I just couldn't wait any longer to see what I was up against.

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
When the engine is off, and shut off which the clutch/brake pushed down, the variation will feel like it’s not attached. Did you try the variator while it was running? If so and it didn’t do anything then, make sure the center sheave is free.

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Like minihomsteader said, plus check your belts. On my '67 112, they were shot so I was getting no response before my tear down. I also had some crud build up on the sheave. Don't know if it's cured until I get everything back together.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,384 Posts
That is very good news about your 110, it is nice to have a family member who has the skills to help out. I am sure you will repay the debt once back on your feet. Tom

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the engine is off, and shut off which the clutch/brake pushed down, the variation will feel like it’s not attached. Did you try the variator while it was running? If so and it didn’t do anything then, make sure the center sheave is free.

I did not know that, thanks for letting me know. I did ask if it was moving or not, not knowing if it had anything to deal with it he said while he was moving it. That's one thing I viewed on youtube. Guys would grease them or spray the shaft down thinking they were improving it when in reality they were cause crud to stuck and stick to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like minihomsteader said, plus check your belts. On my '67 112, they were shot so I was getting no response before my tear down. I also had some crud build up on the sheave. Don't know if it's cured until I get everything back together.
That's one thing I viewed on youtube. Guys would grease them or spray the shaft down thinking they were improving it when in reality they were cause crud to stuck and stick to it. The mower deck belt seems very stretched and worn so I'm assuming the other belts probably are. This model has the hydraulic pump that must of had a major leak at one time because everything is covered along the lines. A neat feature you don't see on too many round fenders but makes for a messy and tight work area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is very good news about your 110, it is nice to have a family member who has the skills to help out. I am sure you will repay the debt once back on your feet. Tom
Thanks, yes I was hoping for just minor simple fixes, but didn't know how lucky I'd be. The family member enjoyed working on it, but yes definitely noted that help. I will " owe" a lot of people out of this incident. I'm the kind of person who would have their arm in a bear trap and refuse for help " I'm okay" or I'm usually the helper and not know what getting help is like so do things on my own, or I'm too stupid and stubborn to ask for any. So this whole situation is new for me, but will definitely be giving back, donating, and volunteering, and definitely will need to have some sort of gathering for everyone who helped me along the way. That might get pricey and might have a lot of guests cause this site is helping me stay entertained, fill my mind with knowledge, and motivating me to get better and wrenching lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck, looks a lot like mine and is in similar condition.
Thanks. I'd like to say it's original but finding some overspray on parts. The hood has some fiberglass repair to it and noticed the grill is black from a newer 110. With a little tlc and a wax it should clean up nice.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts