Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had replaced my starter 1yr and two weeks ago on the 210. The old one, which is what, 40yrs old, was tired and I figured what the hell. let's put a new one on. Bought one of the ones off of fleabay. Worked great for a year and two weeks. Took a dump two days ago. Rooted around and found the OLD one and put it back on for the time being. One year warranty and they wouldn't stretch it for two measly weeks. Oh well. Ordered another one but I sure didn't order from them! Took it apart and it looks like the magnets broke and came loose. Locked up the armature and of course, when I tried to start the next time, smoked the windings. Guess I'll keep the old one again and see how long THIS one lasts! Mike.

· Registered
1989 318
3,158 Posts
Who did you get it from just for our info? I would imagine most are being made at the same offshore facility?? I got mine from DB Electrical and it has worked for 3 years.

· Registered
905 Posts
Should of rebuilt the original one. Better than what you get nowadays. A good cleaning, new bushings, and brushes will go along way.

· Registered
1989 318
3,158 Posts
I kept the one off my 300 when I replaced it a few years ago, I typically do not throw things away that are rebuildable. Yes, I am a pack rat.

· Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tell me about it. Cradle bracket broke a couple of years ago. Got a new/used one. Kept the old one! Have a spare variator and of course, have back up belts for both tractors. Gawd, I have too much junk! Mike.

· Registered
1989 318
3,158 Posts
It is not junk, It is spare parts. If you have them, you will never need them!

· Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got to say, the service was great from OEG. Ordered it on the 10th, got it last night(the 12th) around 4:30. Got it on this morning by 8:30am. Their sales people are doing something right! Identical starter to the one that took a crap. Oh well. Mike.

· Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got to say, the service was great from OEG. Ordered it on the 10th, got it last night(the 12th) around 4:30. Got it on this morning by 8:30am. Their sales people are doing something right! Identical starter to the one that took a crap. Oh well. Mike.
I know this is kind of old but the starter I JUST bought from above went south also. Same problem, magnets come loose and lock up starter. Caught this one fast enough so I didn'[t burn up armature but still have another dead starter. Same brand as before, but different distributor. Both Taiwan starters. Had to put the same 40 year old starter back on AGAIN! Company is issuing refund as it was only six months old but this is getting old. Does ANYBODY make a good one? Going to fix the old one but have an idea that ALL the aftermarket stuff is the same. So called genuine Kohler is $300.00!
Looks like the same taiwan starter to me. Guess I'll order another one and see what happens. Season's over so I'll probably wait until spring. Just curious if anybody else has had this problem. Mike.

· Registered
644 Posts
Also been running a Made in Taiwan starter on my primary worker 214 that I purchased from dbelectrical back in Feb 2019. So far so good. My memory may be in error, but I think that a lot of the starters that originally came on these tractors were made by Bosch. I seriously doubt that even if your willing to pay a premium for one from either Kohler or JD that it will anywhere close to the quality of your 40+ year old original.

· Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saw db electrical on my LATEST search for k starters. Might give them a try. Maybe look to see if they are listed on fleabay since they make it easy to search and find when you bought it. Thanks.

· Registered
1989 318
3,158 Posts
I have bought 2 from dbelectrical and both are still working. Tom

· Registered
644 Posts
Just a little supplemental info, I found the PN for the starter that I purchased from DBElectrical and it was 410-21013. You can buy directly from them and avoid *bay if you like. According to their application chart, that same starter fits most of the JD K-series K241-K341 equipped models from the period. For all I know, the starters that various vendors are selling may all be coming from the same manufacture. That being said, it may or may not be of any better quality than the ones you have already had problems with. All I can say is that mine has held up well after 3+ years of fairly heavy use. The DBElectrical link for it is listed below.

· Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, looked them up and will probably try them. Looked at the old starter and halfway expected some portion of the part number to be the same but it's not. Upon dissection of old starter, found ONE little drop of epoxy holding magnets in. MAYBE 1/4" x 1/2" of epoxy. No wonder they broke loose. Would glue them back in but one is broken in several pieces. Going to look at the first broken one and see if I have enough pieces to make one out of two. Magnets are polarized differently so I have to make sure the ones that broke in the first one aren't the same ones that broke this time. Mike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts