Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been here in ages, had some trouble getting back in....
gear drive section looks pretty dead, my old buddies are probably gone
....but now need help with my '87 216.

Steering linkage popped apart, where linkage connects near front left wheel,
socket popped off ball. I guess that part is called the ball joint?
Looks fairly simple to swap out connectors, I have an old parts tractor,
but of course the threads are all locked up(soaking now).
That's not going to be fun to get apart, current tractor is stuck in the back yard, parts tractor is jammed in a shed.
Didn't print off that part of tech manual and now the CD can't be read.

Anyone have the tech manual and could/would PDF the steering linkage pages for me.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Yes, it will probably snap back in, but won't stay. Do yourself a favor and put a new one on, JD or aftermarket. If it helps, just imagine driving close to a ditch and losing steering control when you least expect it. Or running into something that costs way more than those over priced tie rod ends.

I had one break unexpectedly plowing snow several years ago. Had a terrible time getting it back in the garage to repair. It was dark and no dealer open until the next day. Had to do a lot of shoveling just to get the truck out the next day. 2 wheel drive truck at the time couldn't get out the 18" in the driveway.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm. Maybe source a new drag link/ ends. What do you mean by “I am no longer capable of repairing it”?
I'm older, worn out, and depressed, haha!
Have done lots of wrenching on these old tractors over the past 22 years, but no longer have the mojo, and physical stamina/strength/mobility to do the job. I'd love to trade in the 2 I have for a fully restored one with a deck and thrower.
Fantasy, I know, but I need to figure out how to move snow off my restricted(retaining wall, fence, hill) driveway soon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Honestly I would recommend a newer tractor. I’d say your tractor has reached the “nickel and dime phase “ where almost every thing gets a issue and needs replaced. Especially since you can’t do crazy amounts of work like that to a tractor, look towards a newer Deere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly I would recommend a newer tractor. I’d say your tractor has reached the “nickel and dime phase “ where almost every thing gets a issue and needs replaced. Especially since you can’t do crazy amounts of work like that to a tractor, look towards a newer Deere.
@TiredDeere210 Thanks for the reality check, hard to accept my old gear drive days are over, even tho I've known it eventually inevitable.
How would you recommend I best learn about the newest machines?
Would want mower and thrower with electric or hydraulic lift as I need incremental control for throwing my raggedy undulating driveway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you have a Deere dealer nearby ? If so go your dealer and ask for brochures on Lawn and Garden stuff. I am sure they would be happy give you one for free or a small fee.

I hate to tell someone not to use one of my favorite series of tractors in the world but it is the most practical for you to get a newer tractor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have a Deere dealer nearby ?
Your'e going to throw me right to the 'stealer'(dealer)!? lol
....was hoping to get some user feedback from somewhere here on the forum,
but I don't know where to look because I've only used this section.
My favorite series too, would love to buy a functionally restored worker rather than give my money to the dealer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I work on the newer tractor's, and in my opinion, if you can repair your old one to working condition, do it. Unless your looking at the older X500's (x595) or the newer X700 series, the newer ones are more of a lawn mower that can do certain limited things besides mowing. Everything is hydrostatic. Some have hydraulic lift, but not like the old ones. Engines are all vertical shaft except in the largest GT's. Frames are stamped steel. This is why I have nothing newer than 1986.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts