Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Nice I'll be following along. I've been wanting to make a 140 round fender for the longest time. At least 8 years now. Maybe I'll get a round to building it one of these days. I have a pair of round fenders from a jd 110 and another pair of round fenders from a craftsman as well as some foot rests from a craftsman and MTD tractors. I'm interested to see what you do with your H1

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had to put a new coil/condensor/points/spark plug and she fired up and ran.

got the oil changed after I got it running.

Found out it would go backwards fine and all that but didn't want to move foward at all.
so back into the work shop and off comes the seat pan and the check valve for foward would not pop up like it suppose to.

took that out and got it free and working back in it went.

started tractor and up came the relief pin how its suppose to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after I got the hydro working for foward I wanted to make sure it would move itself under power. so I didn't want to put the rear seat pan back on so I just went with the old bucket seat option!

had to keep a good hold of the steering wheel when using the old bucket seat but did spend 10 min going for a drive around the yard with it.

back ground has the garden where I hope to use this tractor to till this coming spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I like the bucket seat revision lol. I used a 1"x 6" piece of wood plank clamped to the seat springs. Works for now until I get a good seat for it.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I was doing something like that with a 400 one day. Had a 1x12 laid sideways across the gas tank supports and bolted to them to sit on while doing some testing. I dumbassedly left a rag on the frame down by the dash pedestal. It fell off and the driveshaft grabbed it, whipped it around and cut an oil cooler hose clean off. I still have it stashed away and a pic of it somewhere.

Great 140 project btw. Wish it was mine.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so after I took the tractor out for the bucket cruise next on the list was a tiller for the back of it.

looking on FB and CL I found a tiller on a 317 for $350 for tiller lift rod and PTO shaft. some quick searching to make sure that tiller would work on my 140 and I was off to pick the tiller up.

I had been looking and all other tillers I found was in the $400 to 600 range some with PTO shaft and lift rod some with out.

pics of the tiller after I got it home along with lift rod and PTO shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had some time this weekend to work on the 140 so I got the PTO installed.

pic of the Rear PTO installed, close up of the linkage and then a dark picture from the back.

the rear had carriage bolts to hold the back part on, I think I'm gonna swap those out for regular bolts with the threads pointed out the back of the tractor so that I can remove the PTO with out having to take the seat pan off. or that is my plan.

I have no plans to have to remove the Rear PTO but at some point I may want to have a 3 point on this and might go with a ruegg 3point which means the rear pto has to come off for that to go on.

think smarter
dont work as hard
some times this works out for me,
most times' not but I still try!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
That's a great price for everything! Not sure of your soil or plans for tires, but I've got a 33 on the back of my 314. In sod or my hard TN clay, my biggest problem was the tiller was driving/pushing the tractor. I (personally) feel this is not good for the hydro! Keep your turfs on, less strain on hydro. Bob

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was doing something like that with a 400 one day. Had a 1x12 laid sideways across the gas tank supports and bolted to them to sit on while doing some testing. I dumbassedly left a rag on the frame down by the dash pedestal. It fell off and the driveshaft grabbed it, whipped it around and cut an oil cooler hose clean off. I still have it stashed away and a pic of it somewhere.

Great 140 project btw. Wish it was mine.
be glad the it was the oil line and not your arm or leg!

yea it was a little dicey to sit on the bucket but I wanted to know if the 140 would move under it own power and with me on it.

it got drug around some with out the hydro being released and I was afraid it might have blown the hydro unit up.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great price for everything! Not sure of your soil or plans for tires, but I've got a 33 on the back of my 314. In sod or my hard TN clay, my biggest problem was the tiller was driving/pushing the tractor. I (personally) feel this is not good for the hydro! Keep your turfs on, less strain on hydro. Bob
the soil is clay based dirt. I have tilled the garden the last 7 years with a 214 and tiller and it does the job fine, I'm tired of the the draw backs of the 214 that I have.
the tiller is heavy to lift and I Have a electric lift to go on the tractor to fix that problem.
2nd problem is it take a mile to get the 214 turned around to make another pass and in 1st gear it takes a long time as well.
3rd is the tractor is a little bit wider than the tiller I have
4th is I dont like how low the mule drive hang's down below for powering the tiller
5th my workshop has french doors for in/out with a wooden bridge over the door transom to protect the transom from damage. and the 214 high center's itself trying to go over the bridge I have to put down a board to ramp up/down on the side with the mule drive.
my 214 also like to throw the transmission drive belt off every other hour or so for some reason. I've got putting that back on down to 10 min.

I really like the styling of the 140 better, In my youth I spent many hours on a 4020 as my favorite tractor and the 140 remind's of the great times I spent on the 4020.

the 140 with hydro drive will speed up the turn times and hydro lift with take care of the tiller up/down.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also am hoping to due some custom garden tilling work and If I have nice bar tires front/back on the tractor it will look sharper and maybe people looking at my tiller add of the tractor and tiller pictured will go with me based on the look of the machine setup. I have not done any custom garden tilling in the past but want to try that this year to try and make some extra $$ which I can then spend on more stuff for the 140.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Throw some 200 series side panels on it too. I photoshopped this one a long time ago just fer fun. Don't remember why I did it in B&W though.
side panels on a 140.jpg

Nice I'll be following along. I've been wanting to make a 140 round fender for the longest time. At least 8 years now. Maybe I'll get a round to building it one of these days. I have a pair of round fenders from a jd 110 and another pair of round fenders from a craftsman as well as some foot rests from a craftsman and MTD tractors. I'm interested to see what you do with your H1

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Throw some 200 series side panels on it too. I photoshopped this one a long time ago just fer fun. Don't remember why I did it in B&W though.
View attachment 245848
Interesting, I never would of thought to try that. Now you have me wondering if it would cause any type of overheating. I’m thinking that would of looked better with the front vented openings to run parallel to the front hood/grill uprights.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Wouldn't think it would any different than a 200/300/400 series for cooling and 140 engines are mounted the same in the 300 series so engine orientation wouldn't seem to matter either.

Now you have me wondering if it would cause any type of overheating.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I like the jet engine look of the angled side panels but I've also been told I have an overactive imagination. Side covers would probably be best with a stock 140 fenderpan instead of RF fenders. Unless you're going for a 'one tractor, many models' look. Would be an interesting project to mix features from all the vintage years and different models.

Interesting, I never would of thought to try that. Now you have me wondering if it would cause any type of overheating. I’m thinking that would of looked better with the front vented openings to run parallel to the front hood/grill uprights.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Not sure how they would look on a round fender either. I am wanting the look of an older 2020 style tractor w/o modifying the hood to have a long nose.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Do it! I really like mini versions of bigger tractors. If RF fenders were used with side panels I'd want a custom hotrod look with big fat tires like these. Had to put spacers on the rear hubs so they'd clear the seat. Would likely need to do that on a 140 too if the wheel offset is like mine. They're off a little puller tractor.
12ntires.jpg

Not sure how they would look on a round fender either. I am wanting the look of an older 2020 style tractor w/o modifying the hood to have a long nose.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Army would like a side picture of your last pic looks like a Ford 2n/8n? any other details of that as well?

so i had some time to work on the 140 over the weekend.

got the Hydro fluid drained and changed the filter.

Then I found out I don't have a funnel small enough to fit into the Hydro Dipstick to fill the fluid back up. grrrr was even at the hardware store on Sunday Morning and forgot all about getting a small funnel.

so I took some time and cleaned up the fin's on the the hydro pump makes it look nicer and hopefully with being clean will help with heat dispersion.
not that you'll be able to tell with the seat pan on but I'll know and feel better about it I suppose.

then when cleaning noticed on the front the pump there was a wire through the roll pin to help hold that in place if it ever decides to move. So I did the same thing on the back roll pin on the pump as well.

then got the Rear PTO bolted up how I want.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 155 Posts