Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I may but for now I am just going to use it as a general purpose tractor.

You should be an expert on this question. 120 has a sleeve hitch. I have a Brinly plow. What do I use for a pin to attach plow to tractor?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Gabby, a quick search say's the sleeve hitch is a 5/8 Pin so just get one of them and away you go.

4" long and your all set.

I know for my Home made sleeve hitch I had to have the Pin turned down 1/16 in a lathe to make it fit but that sleeve was beat up and out of round somewhat but after turning the pin down it worked fine.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
That's not an Allis Chalmers trailer! It's a Kubota! :p

been pulling this little trailer around for moving things some wood scraps and some cement block's as well.

Trailer was built in the mid 70's by a Allis Chalmers Dealership owner was the story when I got it so I going with its a Allis Chalmers Trailer being pulled by a John Deere. View attachment 260585

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Army I'm sticking with Allis Chalmers, I spent a lot of time on a WD-45 raking hay in my youth, It even had power steering!

a little flick and turn to the right all the way. Want to turn left that was more of a manual steer. but still was way better than no power steering!

and the hand clutch I know when I started I wasn't tall enough to reach the clutch from the seat throw out the hand clutch and scout over and push in foot clutch and change to gear and then use hand clutch to get er moving again.

I did alot of time in 3rd gear doing hay.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
so I worked a little on trying to get my sweepster broom hooked up and going.

The belt I have is a JD M42485 which is the belt for my 49 Snow Blower but it is to big to drive the sweepster broom.

Is there a different belt size that I could try or due I ask my JD Dealer if they can get me a smaller belt?

Ill be emailing my JD dealer about this asking for help but thought Id post up here as well.

thanks for any thoughts and help with this.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I had same broom mounted on my first 332. Used belt that came with broom. Will see if I can find a p/n.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Gabby going from this thanks for any and all effort your partaking on my part!

which shows the different belt sizes for the 49 blower for a 140/318/332

I have the M42285 belt which is the correct belt for the 49 blower on a 140 according to the chart.

I should I suppose put the blower on the 140 and hook up that belt to make sure it works for the blower just so that I know 100% for sure.

I just wanted to get the broom hooked up and working so that I know this spring when I want to sweep the yard I can hook up and go and not be trying to figure it all out then.
Hence figuring it out now.

I'm also gonna build a rolling stand for the broom to be on when not on tractor to make on/off better is my plan.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
No luck finding belt yet. Do you have a sweepster model # for your broom?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
No luck finding belt yet. Do you have a sweepster model # for your broom?
the serial number tag is only 1/3 there I'll look tonight and report back what is there to read from.

Its like going down a rabbit hole on somethings but that's what you get when your trying to make stuff this old work.

I'm not complaining as half the fun is figuring it out.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Two companies I found affiliated with Sweepster are Paladin and MB companies.
  • MB companies manufactured big stuff for cleaning airport runways, etc. Don't know if they can help but is a starting point.
  • Don't know if same company but Deere manufacturing plants have Paladin incorporated in their manufacturing process. All machines manufactured on assembly line are equipped identically (base machine). If you order options the machine is sent to Paladin where options are added to base machine.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
so I got Belt M86060 from JD for trying on the sweepster. It seemed to fit and was able to have it somewhat tight and all that and I got greedy and took the tractor outside today in fresh 6" wet snow and got the tractor stuck right away. I did run the broom for all of 1 minute but then I hooked a ATV to the broom to drag it out of its stuck spot I wanted to try the broom on my little side walk and when pull the broom and tractor I bent the Broom arm that the brush rides on.

I should have know better its my own darn fault I should have plowed a path for the tractor and broom with the ATV but live and learn.

so Now I have the broom torn apart so I can heat the arm up bend it back in place and weld it back up.
I'll have to go and visit with my uncle he's a better welder than me and has a torch to heat and and beat with as well.

then my tractor don't want to turn to the right at all thinking Ill be looking at steering component's as well.
the middle pivot that both the tie rod ends go to I'm thinking is shot as when turning the steering wheel you can watch a the tie rod move but then it jam's up.

the wheel has a full turn of free play so I sure there's lots going on that should not be in the steering.

shes up a car ramps now and hoping by tomorrow the floor is dry enough to crawl under and have a look.

at least I can have the shop up to 65-70 degrees and not have any worries its costing me a small fortune for the heat.

Outside Wood Boiler is doing its thing great for the most part!

IMG_0810.JPG

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
so I put the tractor up on some High rise Jack stands so I can dig into my steering problems from underneath,

wonder I can I support the tractor from the Mower Deck Pins? this was the best place I could get my jack stands to fit.

Thinking it will be fine but just wanted to ask people's thoughts.

this way I can pull the floor jack out from the front and have room to work under it.
20201216_183136.jpg
20201216_183143.jpg

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I have a sleeve hitch on the back and will hang some chains on that so I have plenty of counter weight
on the back and the rear tires are on ramp stands which are offset on facing forward and one backwards
so the tractor wont roll in either direction. Plus I have wedges on the rear tires as well.

this way I can pull the floor jack out from the front and have all sorts of room to work under the front end.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
so I got to dig into the steering arm today and im think my bolt hold that was real loose just allowing that arm a lot of slop

this is not the best pic but there is a wrench on top of the bottom steering arm bracket and think the back part of this is bent down and need to be pushed back up to be flush with the wrench?

IMG_0816.JPG

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
so I got looking at my bolt for the steering arm and its broke off. grrrr!!!!!

its # 9 in this diagram

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/65175/referrer/navigation/pgId/39522

IMG_0817.JPG

crawled under the tractor and its flush with the upper so little chance of getting a vise grips on it to wiggle it out.
I may try a left hand drill but but I'll be working upside down and from my back.

Looks Like I may have to pull the engine so I can get to it from the top side and be able to better drill out the broken bolt.

fun times I guess. but better now than in the middle of Summer when I have a dozen other things going on and need it to mow the yard every week.

I was hoping I would have had my sweeper broom tuned up and in stored away for the year but now that's in varies parts yet and I need to get the tractor back to working first so I can put the snow blower on it if/when I really need it.

though I have another 140 and can put the blower on that If needed, its a 69 though and has the weaker front axle.

if you engine removal tips/tricks let me know as I'll be doing some searching before I dig to far into that.

Have to try the left hand drill bits from the bottom first maybe I can get lucky and it will walk it self right out of the housing that it is in.

at least the shop is warm and dry to work on the tractor!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
working on pulling the engine out so that i can get to the top of the broken steering bolt,

hood, headlight panel front supports, Gas Tank, Choke cable, Throttle Cable Electric wires all disconnected,

just 4 engine bolts and the shaft to the transmission is left then I should be able to wrestle the engine out so that I can get to my broken bolt.
IMG_0823.JPG

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
so I got the 3 of the bolts out that hold the engine down the 4th broke off. grrrr making my self more work or can I live with only 3 bolts holding the engine down when I put it back in?
got the little roll pin out from right behind the engine screen to the drive shaft.

will have to rig to lift the engine out tomorrow I hope I get that far on it anyway and then I can look at 2 broken bolts to deal with the steering arm bolt and the broken engine bolt as well.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Subbing.
Wish you luck with that broken bolt.

Reactions: army
61 - 80 of 108 Posts