Weekend Freedom Machines banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
so got working on the tractor today,

engine coming out.
tall ladder and 4x4 and come a long and some ropes around the pulleys front and back and metal rod and away we go.

IMG_0824.JPG

should have drain oil first I bumped the valve and started a little puddle under the tractor. had to go and get a bucket to get the rest of the oil

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Never thought of using a ladder like that. I used a long 2x4 and a sawhorse like a teeter totter to pick up a small engine up one time though. Just enough to roll the tractor out from under it. Necessity is the mother of invention.

so got working on the tractor today,

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
that ladder has come in handy for a few different lifting of heavy items over the years,

up top I have a 4x4 across the step to a braced rung for my high lifting point or I have rig from the top to lift from.

its a good old 12ft wood step ladder and as long as I done get crazy it has down well.

got the engine pulled and then moved the ladder up onto some dolly blocks and rolled the ladder and engine out of the way.

lowered engine down to another small dolly cart and now can roll the engine out of my way to work on the tractor front steering problems.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Engine is sitting back in the tractor.

Note to self next time pull the oil plug and it'll make it go in alot better.
the drive shaft also was a real joy to get lined up.

20210215_204634.jpg
I'm not even gonna talk about the mesh cage thing on the back of the engine. Its on that's all I'm gonna say!

though now I have to find out if I can get the oil plug back in with the tractor sitting in the frame.

quick question due I need to but teflon tape on oil plug before I put it back into the oill pan or due I use pipe dope?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Is this a plug that is removed to drain engine oil? 37° flare? If flared I would not use anything.

Edit: I paged up and saw oil pan with valve in bottom of pan. I would use some pipe dope on that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
got the oil plug in I had to trim the spout off some so I could get it to thread into place. Nobody but the Oil change guys is gonna know that though so its all good.

Engine is bolted down in place and the drive shaft is all hooked up. Now to get started on throttle cable and choke cable.

making progress slow and sure but its progress. Goal is to have it running by this weekend I hope!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
so more work today,

Throttle and choke hooked up, Coil is on as well, Wiring harness plug back in as well.

I have this hose that I think is the crankcase breather hose but no clue where it goes on the tractor at?
I looked at my 69 140 and it dosent have this hose at all?

its the hose with the wrench on it in the picture

Thanks for thoughts and comments
20210220_150408.jpg

·
Registered
4,847 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I forgot about the spill tray. Trying to figure out where hoses were used since engine does not have a fuel pump. You caught me on that one.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
okay so on to the next I got the gas tank on and ran new gas line since the old Line was super hard so I just cut it off to get the tank off.

I got the new line ran and wondering due I need to pull a tighter loop going under the carb with the gas line than what I have?

also how much cranking am I going to have to due on the engine to get gas up to the carb and away it goes?

I did crank it over and gave it a snort of starting fluid and it popped off and ran for a few seconds then died out.

I also had this engine sitting side way's for a month with the oil pan off as well.

I'm not a great carb guy at all.

or due a take the hose off at the carb and make sure I have gas up to that point from the tank? and then put it back on and start cranking?

I have battery charger on the battery for the night as im in the house drinking some spotted cow in celebration that I did have the engine run for a few seconds.
Think tomorrow I'll loosen the gas line at the carb and make sure I have gas up to the input on the carb and then try to get it started again.

get the engine going, I need to test out if my light switch works and is outputting 12v to the wire for head lights and taillights. Then I can put the battery tray back in and get the tank strapped back down as well.

for Now I have jumper cables running from my old spare truck battery to the positive and negative cables to test out getting the tractor running.
20210220_180709.jpg

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
When you said you were drinking Spotted Cow I automatically knew you were in Wisconsin. My daughter moved from Milwaukee to Houston and the thing she misses most, other than her friends, is Spotted Cow! Tom

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Sublime, When you remove fuel line from carb, remove spark plug also. Even though ACR, it'll crank faster and help battery longevity with plug removed. Bob

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
its running on its own now.

I pulled the gas line off the carb and made sure I had gas coming out of that line put it back on sprayed some choke cleaner to get it started have to give it a 2nd shot and then it stayed running on its own. I let it run for about 5 min then shut it down and waited 30 min and started it back up.

so now its putting it all back together.
But I feel a whole lot better that I know the engine will run and I didn't mess up something when I had it out.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Sublime, When you remove fuel line from carb, remove spark plug also. Even though ACR, it'll crank faster and help battery longevity with plug removed. Bob
thanks for that tip. though I was using my old truck battery to crank it over I didn't want to strain the actual battery for the tractor. and since I have the old truck battery for just this purpose. It gets hooked to lots of things I have a portable 12v winch that the old truck battery powers when I need remote winch pulling power.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts