Weekend Freedom Machines banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Okay, curiosity is working on me...what praytell is Spotted Cow?
here you go and if your ever in WI you'll have to try it out. Tap is Best then in bottle's is good, If you have to drink from a can poor out in a mason Jar and let it breathe a bit before you partake!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Thanks for the pointers, it's on my bucket list of things to do and places to go...the tri-state show in Portland that Army mentioned and I also plan to road trip up to Tomahawk WI or MI, I forget which, for one of the big two antique outboard motor meets...shortly after I escape the work harness and traces. Then it's off to the beautiful Pacific Northwest to see the Oregon wheat country, WA rivers and Utah mountains, via the rails of Amtrak out of Denver. Me pater was a railroad man way back when.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
so worked some on the tractor last night.

Got the battery tray back in. Gas Tank straps are back on.
also doing the poormans powersteering

got that left side still have to due the right side.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What, if anything, did you end up doing with that (steering) center pivot piece? I have one I'm working on, and it steers pretty well, but all of the steering play is in that piece. The worst part is the top threaded cone being attached to the tractor frame. There is no easy way to refurbish it. I think the only way would be to cut it off, fix it up and put it back on. That is less than desirable.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
For the bottom part my bracket on the tractor was bent so I turned it down in a lathe some to get it to fit.

I tried to bend that bottom bracket back up to flat but was only partial successful.

pic of my steering bolt back in place its not ideal but I'm gonna give it a try regardless.

the old bolt head lock was severally distorted. the one I got from ebay is in much better shape and I hope is holds the bolt head from flexing to much.

if this dosn't work I still have a spare lower cone and would grind a flat spot in that one to get to fit into this instead of taking some much off of in on the lathe.

20210213_134101.jpg

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well as you know these are hard to get a picture of, but I think I was getting excited about nothing but no adjustment or grease ever. For reference this is the one in my '73 (power steering conversion):

It's hard to see but it's definitely stepped.

I pulled the other one apart, and despite having a bunch of play, it really looks pretty pristine. I'm going to put it back together, grease it up and run it.

It looks stepped on the left, but it's just the paint scuffed off. The right side is unbelievably straight. You can feel a little ridge, but nothing like the '73. The cast piece looks great and the other tapered bolt piece looks great as well. ETA: I'm starting to wonder if this one didn't break down many years ago and has sat for a very long time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Since I was kind of messing around today, I decided to put a little lapping compound in there and work it back and forth for a while. That would be my recommendation if you have one of these that isn't worn too far. It's super smooth now. Just need to grease it up and reassemble.

I will have to rake the edges of my gravel drive. One of those brooms would be awesome for that yearly chore. 2 or 3 of our snows this year were after thaws, so the top layer of gravel took a real beating.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts