Weekend Freedom Machines banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I’m sure someone will chime in with the right tip. Never seen such down here in NE Tejas...how does the PTO belt drive the shaft(s) that spin the broom...I’m a curious guy, in many ways.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I’m sure someone will chime in with the right tip. Never seen such down here in NE Tejas...how does the PTO belt drive the shaft(s) that spin the broom...I’m a curious guy, in many ways.
for this the Belt from the tractor goes to a Pulley that then goes to a 90 gearbox that comes out to a shaft chain drive to 2nd shaft that has some u joints on it to provide angle direction and height change to final chain drive that drives the broom I can get some pics of all that tonight and post them up for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
Looking great Sublime!
And what is it with this stupid forum not giving me new post notifications... didn't realize there had been any updates until I looked under the new tab.
Have you clicked on the green tab at the top of post and selected to receive email notifications? If you have I can followup and try to figure this out.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Have you clicked on the green tab at the top of post and selected to receive email notifications? If you have I can followup and try to figure this out.
Have everything but emails turned on in notifications. Just mildly annoying but everything else works fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
for this the Belt from the tractor goes to a Pulley that then goes to a 90 gearbox that comes out to a shaft chain drive to 2nd shaft that has some u joints on it to provide angle direction and height change to final chain drive that drives the broom I can get some pics of all that tonight and post them up for you.
Sounds like Rube Goldberg was working there when that was designed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #147 (Edited)
Sounds like Rube Goldberg was working there when that was designed.
I need to get some pics of the belt drive but I did 1 hour of brooming on Sunday and didn't have the chain come off 1 time.
learning how to run at 1/2 throttle and be quicker on the up/down on the broom and watch for terrain change as well.
also if the tractor lugs down

Ill get some pics of the broom drive and post them up

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I need to start mine.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
My first broom was a Sweepster similar to yours. I did not have problems keeping chain or belt installed. Problem I did have however is the driveshaft from gearbox to chain drive kept pulling apart. I see yours has a capscrew that I assume fixes the length of the driveshaft. Wonder if that has anything to do with issue you are having.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
My first broom was a Sweepster similar to yours. I did not have problems keeping chain or belt installed. Problem I did have however is the driveshaft from gearbox to chain drive kept pulling apart. I see yours has a capscrew that I assume fixes the length of the driveshaft. Wonder if that has anything to do with issue you are having.
Gabby/Kevin, my problem are 3 fold. That I can find.
1. Idler Pulley is at a little bit of a angle due to the Bushing is worn were the bracket pivots off of at the frame.
2. Teeth on the Brush sprocket are pretty worn down.
3. Idler pulley need to be pulling up on the chain from the bottom and not raising the chain up off the sprocket.

I need to redue this chain system would love to find a Pic of how it is suppose to be and not how I have this setup as its not correct. It worked for what I needed but want to make it better for next year that is for sure.

Also would like to be able to put the chain guard back over this but is the chains not gonna stay on no point in having the chain guard on.

The Drive shaft I have the one side of the knuckle loss as it slides on the shaft as I raise and lower the broom.
I'll get a pic of that and show what i'm talking about in that regard.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts