Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
look what followed me home today!

thanks to Nic,

looking foward to getting this ol girl back up and running!
have to go back and get the rest of the stuff when the snow is gone

20210227_185156.jpg

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Glad you was able to help Nick out. When I looked at what he had I just did not need more.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know and for the price I could not pass this up, though if I had a 140 h3 sitting in the wings to bring back to life like somebody I know I would not be out looking for other 140's.

goal is to get this one running and working and then I can tear into my first 69 140 and get the charging system fixed.

well first I need to get the 74 140 back together and put the broom on it as gravel sweeping season will be soon.

and find a place under a roof for this one to stay as well

lots of John Deere work to be done that is for sure!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the back tires wont hold air so off they come, 1 with a tube would air up but not hold, But they are the flat dish rims which are a little bit rare from what I have read but not as strong as the regular rims. When I get time have to pull the tire off and get the tube out and find out how bad it is and maybe there is a tube in the other one as well. Valve core is missing.
sidewalls may be to far gone to even mess around with. for now I just put on a spare set of tires that I had so I can roll it around where I need it to go.
20210228_142327.jpg

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sublime, it sounds like you are VERY busy!
yep also did Maple syrup Stove setup this weekend.
ran a test today and it all seemed to work. 2 pans over firebox and 3rd in the back sitting on the stove pipe to get prewarmed before moving to the steam off pans

20210228_094845.jpg

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
140 #3?!? Lucky! (Well in my case I would be unlucky since all of my stuff likes to break)
Don’t forget to update your signature since the other 69 and 74 aren’t listed with their new friend (unless I missed one leaving)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
140 #3?!? Lucky! (Well in my case I would be unlucky since all of my stuff likes to break)
Don’t forget to update your signature since the other 69 and 74 aren’t listed with their new friend (unless I missed one leaving)
got my sig update so now I can quick find each of my 140 threads.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Per title of post this tractor is a 1969 per Tractordata
1968 ... 01001
1969 ... 10001
1970 ... 22401
1971 ... 30001
1972 ... 38001
1973 ... 46501
1974 ... 56501
Final ... Unkinown

I put tubes in tires with rotted sidewalls but those are gone. As for the rims I have heard same as you that that are not as robust as later rims but it just depends on what you intend for the tractor to do.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Gabby,

I kinda like the Flat rim look I may take the tires off and touch up the bad spots on the rims and give them a coat of paint and then put the tires back on with tubes and put the rims back on this 140 for summer work.

what I envisions today for this 140, Get it running and working. Put a mower deck on it for this summer and mow the summer with it. Put tubes in those flat rim tires and use those in the summer for mowing. In the fall change over to the Blower on this one and swap out rims to narrow tires and chains and add some rear weights. Put cab on this as well and thinking of rigging up 2nd gas tank above hood in front of cab to get me longer running time. Also thinking of adding wing headlights to the hood like the round fenders and cab lights so if I need to blow snow at night I have great lighting.

also need to rework my small ATV trailer that I can load the 140 and blower and take to my town driveways for snow removal if I need to. I think if I screw down some chains to the trailer deck in tire path and the 140 has chains it will crawl right up the tilted trailer when it is all snow covered.

this last winter 3 times I was tempted to take the 140 to town to due snow removal but I did not have a great way to get it loaded and unloaded with a my tilt load trailer. Plus the 69 140 only had about 40 minutes of blowing usage before the battery ran out of juice. the 69 140 on the blower this year doesn't charge the battery. Its on my get it fixed list but the 74 140 decided it needed steering arm fixed. Since I can drive and use a 140 with a battery that wont charge the blower went on the 69 140 while the 74 140 got put in workshop for Steering arm fix.

I have a winch and could pull it up but the hassle wasn't worth the effort in my book. if the 140 had a cab that is a game changer to me which next year I will.

In town I have a ATV and plow and a John Deere 1032 walk behind snow blower as my snow fighting weapons and the 140 and blower is better than the walk behind. add a cab and its way way better I would think.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
On my uncles 140 we built a small platform behind the seat and put a boat motor fuel tank on it. A couple pumps with a primer bulb coming out of the tank to get the fuel up to the mechanical pump and it takes right off.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
My 317 had a set of those flat rims from an early 420 (26X12-12 tires) rims were extremely rusty and I felt sandblasting would destroy them. Sold them after I found a set on Facebook. Yours look pretty good and I wouldn't be afraid to paint and use them.

·
Super Moderator
3,519 Posts
The flat rims tend to crack by the bolt holes.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Did not realize that was brought back into existence...

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I'll be darned. It is back. Kind of. I get into it when I click on your link but where do I find it on WFM site?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The link to the registry on this WFM is at Registry
thanks is there gonna be a way to add in new tractors that you get and Maybe edit out old ones you have sold?

at least this is better than the nothing that we had since the site change over

1 - 20 of 31 Posts