Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my grandfather's old M. Pic was taken yesterday. My uncle passed away and the tractor is still in his shed. He had a dozen tractors but none were used for farming anymore. I started driving the M in the fields around age 10. I used the headlight bracket on the left to brace myself so I could push the clutch in. Driving tractor wasn't very hard back then. Once you got it moving in the field it was a case of just steering it accurately. Grandpa also had an H3 140 JD mower. Don't know if it's still there. Would like to have it. Had a broken rod but I have a K301 I could use.
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
6,336 Posts
Army, how old is that pic? It looks to be in good shape in that picture. It's hard to find a M with fenders, as they got in the way of some implements (plus getting off and on the tractor).

I had a few Farmalls, a B, a C, a H, and two Cubs (I still have one of the Cubs).

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Wow...that stirs memories from long ago and far away. Grandpap Floyd had 2 M's...used for lots of stuff. You had to master them b4 you graduated to the 1066...which had a luxurious CAB. Didn't have to eat dirt in that baby!

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pic is from Sunday. That old M is exactly the way it was when grandpa had it. The old H and some other tractors he got from from dad are still there. They include a 'high arch' Ford 5000, a couple Ford 8600's and a big old Massey 4WD (Steiger style) with a blown up Cummins diesel. And some other tractors.

Army, how old is that pic? It looks to be in good shape in that picture. It's hard to find a M with fenders, as they got in the way of some implements (plus getting off and on the tractor).
I had a few Farmalls, a B, a C, a H, and two Cubs (I still have one of the Cubs).

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The pic is from Sunday. That old M is exactly the way it was when grandpa had it. The old H and some other tractors he got from from dad are still there. They include a 'high arch' Ford 5000, a couple Ford 8600's and a big old Massey 4WD (Steiger style) with a blown up Cummins diesel. And some other tractors.
Does that translate to your herd is going to grow drastically? :LOL:

• Love
Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no room whatsoever. I already have grandpa's model 71 Cub Cadet though. My brother and I are the only two family members now that would even appreciate the tractors my uncle had, especially the M and H.

My dad bought these tractors new in the order listed and eventually sold them to my uncle.
Ford 5000
Ford 4000
(2) Ford 8600's
MF 1500. Has a blown Cummins. He bought it from dad in excellent working order. Blew an oil line and kerbang.

Grandpa used the D17 my uncle had with a rototiller in hard ground. The kind of clay that'll stretch a mile before it breaks and acts like concrete when it's dried out.
ALLIS CHALMERS D17

My uncle also had:
Ford 4600
MF 275 with a good loader
MF 175
IH H
IH M

Pretty good tractors with low hours except the old Farmalls. No working gauges so no idea how far they've gone. Grandpa would likely say around the world at least once.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't been there yet and my brother didn't see it. Maybe my uncle sold it or whatever. Hope not!

And I assume you are involved in a "all hands on deck" search for that H3 140?

• Love
Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably gone now but I did a thread here on that 140 way back in the mid-2000's and complained because my uncle wouldn't let me have it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The "H" looks to be in really good shape. (y)

One of my friends has a "Super C". It's been in the family for 5 generations. It was sold off at one point. My friend regretted selling it. He later saw it parked in a barn, stopped and asked the owner if he'd like to sell it. He told the owner that it was once his family's tractor. He and the owner made a deal and it's now back in the family. He refurbished it last year and now its only job is, shows and parades.

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Motor vehicle

He and I attended a car & tractor show a couple weekends back.
Wheel Tractor Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

He was awarded two plaques, while I only received one for my 1953 Model 40-S.
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Green

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anybody is interested I can put you in contact with the estate executor, who is my aunt. You American guys would get an automatic 30% discount right off the bat (US vs CDN dollar value). It isn't hard to bring an antique tractor across the border. Just make sure the tires are clean and you have paperwork for the purchase.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dad had one of those C's for a while. Took it in trade for something. Sold it for around $1700 about 15 years ago.

Edit: I should add the IH C dad had was original and in about the same shape as the M I posted the pic of. Never thought I would but I almost prefer the 'patina' tractors now, especially if there's sentimentality involved. But that spiffy C you posted would certainly be welcome in my shed. If there was any room I mean.

One of my friends has a "Super C". It's been in the family for 5 generations. It was sold off at one point. My friend regretted selling it. He later saw it parked in a barn, stopped and asked the owner if he'd like to sell it. He told the owner that it was once his family's tractor. He and the owner made a deal and it's now back in the family. He refurbished it last year and now its only job is, shows and parades.

View attachment 280737

He and I attended a car & tractor show a couple weekends back.
View attachment 280736

He was awarded two plaques, while I only received one for my 1953 Model 40-S.
View attachment 280739

·
Registered
24 Posts
This was my grandfather's old M. Pic was taken yesterday. My uncle passed away and the tractor is still in his shed. He had a dozen tractors but none were used for farming anymore. I started driving the M in the fields around age 10. I used the headlight bracket on the left to brace myself so I could push the clutch in. Driving tractor wasn't very hard back then. Once you got it moving in the field it was a case of just steering it accurately. Grandpa also had an H3 140 JD mower. Don't know if it's still there. Would like to have it. Had a broken rod but I have a K301 I could use.
View attachment 280705
Grass is green, tractors are red.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: dhager4692

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Reactions: TempletonJDguy
1 - 20 of 26 Posts