Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
While not admitting my age, when I started at an IH dealership "on the line" (which meant I was working on tractors) I got a work order to tune-up an M, which were pretty common then. The Service Manager (who I never saw smoke a cigar, but always had one to chew on in his mouth) let me tune the tractor up and put it on the dyno. When I was done, he walked over to me and said: "Do you know how to tell if you "got 'er set right"? Being the new guy, I said: "Well I set the carb and the tractor on the dyno for the best power." He just laughed, chewed on his cigar for a second and said: When you get 'er done, just pin her ears back (meaning go to wide open throttle) and slap the throttle back to idle. If she doesn't backfire twice, you ain't got 'er set right!

I always used that test after that and it has never failed me to this day.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That is a great tip and story! (y) I don't recall how much back firing the old M did but dad kept it and the H well tuned for grandpa.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
$60. An example of how the old IH tractors and parts have dropped in demand and value.
Rectangle Mailbox Grass Groundcover Gas

·
Registered
1989 318
2,703 Posts
When I first saw the picture I thought it was a mailbox!

·
Registered
1989 318
2,703 Posts
I had to replace my 'PlaySchool' mailbox a couple years ago because of winter damage (plastic + cold snow/ice/slush from snowplow) do not get along. I went with a standard old-school model small metal one not realizing how small it was. I think that hood would make a very nice large mailbox.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts