Weekend Freedom Machines banner

T he 317 driveshaft

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  woodpecker41 
#1 ·
My 317's driveshaft u joint binds up at the transmition end. There is no play at all just a little binding only when bending the u joint in one direction. I was told just that little bit of stifnrss is enough to give it a bad vibration. The driveshaft vibrated so much it scraped the top of the hydro filter. 'thats a lot of vibration" .
I replaced the rear motor mounts but seems worse. I have the driveshaft out and put the engine back in and ran the engine with out being hooked up to the driveshaft and runs nice and smooth 0no vibration.
I put a straight edge on the driveshaft and by looking at it it seems pretty true.
Is there any other fix besides buying a new one ? They can be pretty costly.
Any help is appreciated.
Lou.

#2 ·
Lou ,
I just put new universals in mine , and am installing a heavy duty end so it actually clamps onto the hydro splined shaft , hoping this helps , a vibration and hydro leak i had , but i messed up and chipped another part in the mean time LOLOL.
Good Luck
Keith

#10 ·
I appreciate the offer Larry, I picked a good used one up and sprayed my old one with pb blaster and it seemed to work it out like new.. I also noticed my rear mounts I instaled were favoring one side puting the engine on a 1/4" off center I dont know if that would make a difference or not.

#13 ·
Hello,

My Grandpa recently bought a John Deere Hydro with the 46" deck.

The questions I want to know is the 46" deck has a extra spring on the back by the Idle Spring and doesn't seem to do any thing.
Here is a photo, it is the yellow spring.
[URL="http://opebycrigby.freeiz.com/decks/jd/jd46180.gif[/IMG]http://opebycrigby.freeiz.com/decks/jd/jd46180.gif[/URL]

The other question is the Transmission has a free wheeling lever, not like my 316 you have to hold it in place in order for it to move without starting it. I don't know if that is normal. It doesn't look like any thing is missing.

Any help would be great.

Ben

#17 ·
Ben you can look up the belt number and when you look up the price it will tell you the size. The place to find it is www.jdparts.com. My advice is just buy the belt from JD if you want it to last. When you have the belt off the deck check all the pulleys the belt runs on to make sure they move smoothly and have no cuts in them. If one of the pulleys is bad the pulley will kill a new belt very quickly. Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.