Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd pull it all into one thread instead of separate ones for each item.

This year I bought an x750 to maintain my property. It's a 2018, but only 31 hrs on it. As purchased:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Window Asphalt

Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Curtis cab and blower were included. Wipers, heater, etc.

Story was gent bought it for his business and had a stroke shortly after. He had to close his business and had to sell off the tractor. I won't say I got a screaming deal on it, but a good deal at least.

I wanted to cut things down to the one machine, so it needed a deck to go with it. Since I saved a good bit on the tractor itself, I just ordered what I needed from JD:

Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Tire

So that's a 54 plow with angle kit, a 54 HC deck, auto connect pto shaft, Powerflo head, and 3 bag collection system. Wasn't cheap, but they are needed items if I'm to get down to only one tractor. I also like that they are new and I can take proper care of them so they last a good long time.

So that's the basic tractor set up for use.

But I'm a "hot rodder" from waaaay back, so leaving it bone stock is not in my nature. Time to start planning and buying parts.

First up is a place to put switches and assorted goodies on the operator station. But JD made sure that, while somewhat stylish, the design of the dash area doesn't lend itself very well to nicely integrated switches and such. So An over head console/panel is the best option to add items.

First to be ordered is a 4 way camera system:

Output device Product Peripheral Gadget Vehicle

Plan is to use the screen setup in the bottom right corner:
Product Rectangle Azure Font Material property

So I have rearview mirror setup for the sides, front view to help hook up things to the front quick hitch and a rear looking backup camera. Not having to turn around in the seat so much is a big bonus for me as I've had a broken neck and back in my past.

Still lots of space available overhead, so some switches are in order. first, generic on/off ones:

Data storage device Rectangle Gadget Fashion accessory Plastic

Needed some on/off/on switches:
Rectangle Font Electronics accessory Electronic component Box

Also some momentary ones:

Rectangle Cable Font Computer component Auto part

con't in next post

:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Still lots of space overhead, time and temps in/out would be useful, so:

Watch Clock Font Rectangle Display device

figured I needed to balance the sides a bit more. An inclinometer could be useful, so:

Product Font Line Screenshot Gadget

The Gps speed, direction etc aren't really useful in a small tractor, but it was only a few dollars more than just an inclinometer, so why not have some fancy dials and numbers changing while driving? LOL!

The wiper is just an on/off switch, which drives me nuts! a delay circuit is needed:
Schematic Rectangle Line Font Parallel

Only cost about 20 bucks for the kit. wiper is still only one speed, but it's adjustable from 0-30 seconds delay. Just about right for snow blowing in the driveway.

The panel itself I'll bang out of some 1/8" sheet aluminum. Between the plasma, bender and tig, I should be able to make it look somewhat "professional".

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
29 years in SAR has left me pretty broken all around the bod. So I need something to make landscaping a bit easier on me. That means a front loader of some sort. Basically, I need something to dig a little bit, but mostly act as a powered wheel barrow.

I've built scoops and loaders in the past:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

but figured I'd just bite the bullet buy one for the x750. Hold on a second there says momma deere: no loaders for the x750.

Well, back to making one I guess. the curtis cab makes it close to impossible to mount a "normal" style tower loader:

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood

It just occupies the space where the tower mounts would be. Modifying the cab woudl just be a royal mess, so I'm considering some type of custom mount or maybe a "buford bucket" style loader. Need to think on that one a bit more....

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
29 years in SAR has left me pretty broken all around the bod. So I need something to make landscaping a bit easier on me. That means a front loader of some sort. Basically, I need something to dig a little bit, but mostly act as a powered wheel barrow.

I've built scoops and loaders in the past:
View attachment 274237

but figured I'd just bite the bullet buy one for the x750. Hold on a second there says momma deere: no loaders for the x750.

Well, back to making one I guess. the curtis cab makes it close to impossible to mount a "normal" style tower loader:

View attachment 274238
It just occupies the space where the tower mounts would be. Modifying the cab woudl just be a royal mess, so I'm considering some type of custom mount or maybe a "buford bucket" style loader. Need to think on that one a bit more....
Maybe would suit your needs/be a good starting point.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Maybe would suit your needs/be a good starting point.
Thanks for the refs. Seen those, not much good to me really. I have to custom build something or just order a Buford bucket. Building something like a Buford bucket is a snap for me, should I end up going that way.

Right now, I’m looking at the subframe for a 44 loader:

Bicycle fork Green Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Grass

Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

possibly a template to follow to give me a place to mount something closer to a full loader instead of something that hangs off the front frame, like a Buford Bucket or little buck loader.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I go with a 44 style subframe, it will likely look something like this:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

red is the subframe, yellow is the loader arms, green is the hyd cylinders. That's just a quick doodle, but it gets the basic concept.

I like it more than the Buford Bucket because it spread the load across the front and rear parts of the frame rather than loading everything on the front frame cross-member. The added bonus of the subframe is I can carry the loads right back to the frame where the transaxle mounts. Added beef and (hopefully) kinder to the actual tractor frame itself....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
did a little more doodling:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Fair bit more work than just banging out a Buford bucket, But I like it more than a BB. Mostly because it doesn't look quite so....."odd".....as a BB hanging off the front crossmember........

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Figured I’d slide up an old loader project (unfinished) I had taking up space in the back shed to see how it looked:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

I’ll be damned if that isn’t almost a decent fit as it is.

Great thing is all the geometry is already worked out for cylinder placement and range of movement.

All I have to do is a little rework here and there and the lift arms are (essentially) done.

All I have to do is work out the subframe/mount and we’re off to the races.

The curl geometry will remain untouched, so the cylinders I have for it will fit as per. But the lift cylinders are likely to have less room overall, so the cylinders might have a bit too much extension. I might end up just not using full extension on the lift cylinders, although I’d prefer the cylinders bottom out before the arms run out of travel. I’ll just have to deal with that issue when I get to it.

It’s a bit “overbuilt” for my x750, but I only intend to use it for fairly light work around the yard and the occational move of heavier items around the garages. The extra “beef” shouldn’t be a problem other than adding weight, which means a bit less in the bucket. Small tradeoff overall.

But being able to reuse parts of an older project is going to save me a butt load of time and fabrication. Not to mention a boat load of cash!

;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Little more fitting pieces to see how close I am:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

the lift cylinders (8”) were originally the bucket curl cylinders.

The long cylinders (16”) in front were orginally the lift cylinders.

The geometry change means theres no way the long cylinders will fit in the lift space. Fortunately, the curl cylinders are a near perfect match for the space available. But it looks like the shorter stroke is foing to limit me to about a 4’ lift. Thats good enough for my intended uses.

The longer cylinders in curl position will need a different mounting, but the length will ensure full dump will be easy to achieve. Thats a “qwiktach” plate on the front so I have lots of real estate for figuring out the best cylinder mounting.

I suppose I could buy another set of 8” cylinders, but thats another 400-ish bucks I’d rather not spend….

·
Registered
813 Posts
On my 44 I wish I could curl the bucket more than I can. Right I’m less than 30 deg curled up when loader is low to the ground, I wish it would go closer to 45 deg. My backhoe gets closer to 45.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, good news and bad.

bad first: the 8” stroke cylinders will fit the space, but 8” of stroke means about 12-16” of lift. I need a longer cylinder, but no space to put one.

Good: I can design a new tower piece from 1/4” sheet and that will allow me to “sink” the ram mount into the plates. This means the 16” stroke cylinders should fit, or at least be close enough to “massage” the mount points to work right.

its not that big a deal as I expected to have to make new towers. As a small side bonus, it allows me to design a new mounting scheme to install/remove the loader.I’m thinking maybe something like on the masseys.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I think I may have a way of installing an aux pump to run the loader rather than tap the stock hydraulics.

Ran across grandpajay's (MTF) pump install on his 400 and I may be able to do something similar. He mounted a lovejoy coupler to the crank pulley and used that to drive an aux pump. Seems like a reasonable way to get a drive to an aux pump.

I've got lots of lovejoys and the pump already. Just need to get out to the tractor and figure out if it's something I can make work on my X750....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well, mounting a lovejoy to the crank damper was a good idea but ultimately foiled once again by JD engineering:

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

no place on the “front” because the battery tray blocks it all. Can’t use the other end because it already has the driveshaft to the transaxle mounted there.

I’m not out of ideas yet, but its getting pretty “thin” on possible options. I think I’m pretty much down to seeing if a pulley can be mounted on the drive shaft somehow to run a belt to a pump underneath somewhere. Not an elegant solution, but I think its about my last option at this point.

Man, they sure don’t make it easy to add to these rigs without buying specific JD “bolt on” stuff….

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Run it off of the mid PTO?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Run it off of the mid PTO?
Not exactly sure what you are refering to unless you mean the point on the transaxle that sends power to the front pto via a drive shaft.
Thats not available for use as it carries the pto shaft to run the front pto and snowblower in winter and drives the mower deck in summer.
there is no rear pro on this transaxle. Wasn’t ordered with it and I don’t particularly want to spend around 1500 bucks to install one.
I think I’m stuck using the factory hydraulics until I can figure something out. Until then, I guess I’ll just have to work within the capabilities of the oem hudraulics.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just do light battery relocation

·
Registered
1989 318
1,901 Posts
Can you raise/relocate the battery? On my BMW's they stuck the battery in the trunk, all it takes is longer cables.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts