Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scooped the counter and double sink we replaced in the house several years ago when my wife did a makeover on the kitchen. I thought I might run water and a drain over there and use the sinks but I never did. So a couple days ago I decided to yank the sinks out and put my 20 gal varsol parts cleaner tank in there. Had to move the parts bins temporarily so I could hog the hole out a bit with my sawzall. When I put the counter in I didn't measure the height of the 6x6 posts I used for the bench legs. Just kinda eyeballed how tall they should be for a comfy counter height. The solvent tank is suspended on the counter by the 1" lip around the top of it and it would have been fine to use like that. The counter is sturdily supported by the bench frame I made. It'll never sag fer sure. But.. then I wondered how close the metal legs originally on the tank would be to fitting and to my surprise they were exactly right. Had to scrape the feet along the concrete a little bit to get them place. They take a bit of weight off the lip but the tank didn't move up at all. All hail sh*t luck!

Reactions: mike and lt230s

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice looking setup. Like all the mini parts organizers! Gotta love when free scraps make improvements to the operation !

·
Registered
771 Posts
Army,
I don't have much to add, other than my oft engaged motto "Luck beats skill, everytime." but am really glad to be reading your conquests again!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Us guys forming the Black Sheep Squadron (aka the Black Hub Club) was a way to turn the tables on a negative view of the 400's unique features. We 'owned' them, as they say. That sort of positive thinking works for a lot of stuff in life.

Reactions: charms

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have any H's or M's? My grandpa did and I used to operate them when I was a kid. Had to grab the headlight support to push the clutch down. I still have a soft spot for them.

Nice looking setup. Like all the mini parts organizers! Gotta love when free scraps make improvements to the operation !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do you have any H's or M's? My grandpa did and I used to operate them when I was a kid. Had to grab the headlight support to push the clutch down. I still have a soft spot for them.
Sadly no. Lost an M over time. But their is a farm all 400 around. And an Oliver 66

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where is Mike Duwe these days? He should be asking why this turbo hasn't been installed on something yet. It's off a Ford tractor diesel engine. A 4WD 'County 4' if I remember correctly.

On the shelf above it I have new carbs for some of my tractor engines. And I also have some for my Honda and 3 clone engines, as well as various rebuilt carbs in my parts cabinet too and new gaskets for them. A carb kit for a Honda or clone is almost as much as a new one. Same for K532 engines. I paid $32 for a new one and it works great. I put a kit in another K532 carb that's stashed in the cabinet too so I should be good if I have any fuel issues. It's nice to have a spare to put on an engine, if only to test whether a problem is carb related.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
Your shop is far too neat Army, I wouldn't be able to find anything

Reactions: dhager4692

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
I've tried to make mine neat like Army's but to no avail.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am forced to keep my shop organized because otherwise I'd spend all my time looking for stuff. Also, if I'm frustrated by something I'm doing out there I stop and clean up, then back at whatever is pissing me off (so the tidier my shop is the worse things are going , haha). My sister sent me this joke pic yesterday to tease me about hating cooked onions. She knows how bad I am at finding stuff too.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It definitely isn't hereditary. My old dad was terrible at keeping things organized. I was the executor for his estate and I ended up cleaning up and dealing with the contents of 3 big sheds and a 1500 sq ft basement crammed full of interesting and useful stuff. I'm the only one of his 5 offspring who had any interest in it so he left it all to me. So now my shop and shed are crammed too. I just couldn't part with a lot of it. I put a 28x28 addition on my shop because of it but I could have made it 100 ft x 100 ft and it would still have been too small because I would kept even more stuff.

I've tried to make mine neat like Army's but to no avail.
Your shop is far too neat Army, I wouldn't be able to find anything
This corner of my shop needs some serious attention. The shelving is crammed with hydraulic stuff plus JD/Ford, golf cart, Corvette and 5.0 V8 parts (that isn't all of it. I have other shelves with that sort of stuff on them too). It's sorted out as far as where things are on the shelf units, but on a shelf by shelf basis it's a big mess. Feels like one wrong move and there'd be an avalanche. Gotta invest a day to organize it so I can actually find and use something. The wall is a disaster too with hoses and belts and cables hanging there randomly, and in come cases precariously. I have yet to blast and paint the topside of the 400 60 inch decks. The one on the left is the newer style and just has surface corrosion. Had the cover on it when I got it. Same with the other one but it has some pitting. Nothing serious and nothing that can't be remedied either. Not pictured.. the 420 deck has some surface rust and minor pitting too. Unless I do a number on the tractor I likely won't spiff the deck up either. It's been my experience the deck covers are directly responsible for most topside corrosion. That, plus guys never cleaning them off and allowing wet grass and other debris to fester. That's what happened to the deck that was on the 400 I just bought. It was so bad it's going out on the next scrap steel load.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wife buys dog treats that come in these clear plastic containers. The treats cost $9. The hardware sells the exact same containers with nothing in them for $4 apiece. So the treats are only $5 ..if you look at it the way my wife does. I have a bunch more in cabinets and on other shelves. Very easy to see what's in them. I used to use opaque plastic containers about the same size. They were coffee containers originally and are the best way I ever saw to hide stuff on yourself. I only use them now for stuff I'll likely never need.

This cabinet has JD parts only. The shelves are segregated according to the type of parts. The top shelf is new stuff, like decals. emblems and various other small parts. Below that is the electrical parts shelf and under that is the fuel system stuff. The lower two shelves are misc. I periodically tidy the shelves up then gradually mess them up again.

I have a stack of tires in one bay. There's more in the shed too. The top pair have Cub Cadet lettering. They're like new. I'm saving them for the Cub Cadet 1200 tractor I got from dad. It's in good mechanical shape but pretty scruffy. The little model 71 CC in the pic was my grandfather's. No resto for it. It's being left in the exact same condition it was in on the day he parked it.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More shop stuff. A golf cart transaxle w/shiny wheels and fat tires. I have a spare front axle too with matching wheels and tires on it. Also two other spare transaxles ..in case there's a shortage. The old '50 Ford is beside it and there's a 5.0 EFI Mustang motor on an engine stand behind the transaxle that's going in my '96 5.0 Splash.

To the left of that stuff is the 9,000 lb Atlas hoist with the Splash on it and my old '76 Vette under it. The hoist arms are partially supported by four 1.5 ton tall jackstands, which are made for use with a hoist. This will be the third winter the Splash was stored up in the air. I work on it every summer. So far the frame, rear end and all chassis parts have all been cleaned, prepped and painted and the engine has been in and out several times. This little truck is gonna be badass, eventually. Not in a hurry. Just want to finish it before I'm too old to drive. Dad was still on the road at 85 and I'm only 66 so I hope to copy him.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The V8 in the little truck will be fun. I built a V8 S10 years ago after high school. 327 with a built Turbo 350 with 3.73 gear and positrack in rearend. 3200lb even with cast iron heads on engine. Sure surprised lots of the 5.0L mustang GTs in their heyday. You will definitely enjoy it. I wish I still had mine. Boy how priorities change of the years as kids come along.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really like shortbox stepside Chevies S10's. They're look like hotrods waiting for an LS swap to me.

I'm 66 so I'm well past the kids stage. Got grandkids now but I get to spoil them then go home. This will be my 3rd V8 Ranger. It's getting the 1990 5.0 engine from a Mustang LX coupe I bought new.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This electric forklift has made life easier. Uses a 12V car battery. Takes up room when not in use but well worth the shop space.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is a vintage Wilton vise I inherited. Saw one like it that sold for $700 US but this one is here to stay. For as long as I do anyway. Note the pistol grip style shifter handle in the vise. It used to be on a snow brush. I glued a 3/8 coarse thread 1" long coupler type nut where the brush handle used to be inserted. Haven't found a use for it yet but I will.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is a Ford 4 cylinder tractor engine. A whopping 172 cubes and 41 HP (drawbar). It was actually on a tomato picker and has a couple hundred hours on it. The big Heinz factory in this area closed down and this was auctioned off by a tomato farmer. I'm keeping it as a spare. These versatile engines were used on various commercial machines and ended up in custom applications too, incl the big old compressor rig my dad built.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts