Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
They sure do. I spent many years getting by with a crappy garage and crappy equipment and doing without lots of stuff. I have lots of nifty old toys now but I will always appreciate them. I'm retired now and out in the shop every day doing something to something. I sincerely hope you guys all have the same good fortune. (y)

Boy how priorities change of the years as kids come along.
I was an IT guy for 20 years and I have a few security tricks up my sleeve. This traffic light is on a motion sensor. Lights the bay up with a spooky red glow at night. Won't scare anybody but it might make them stop to admire the novelty of it long enough for the cops to get here. The area detachment is only 2 km away. The 62" TV was a gift from my son. He bought a 72 incher when this one developed a dark vertical line 1 pixel wide. Can't usually even see it. Works great for looking at pics, PDF service manuals and so on, plus I can watch a race from 3 bays away, heh heh.

I have a 'LOT FULL' light in the middle bay (top right of pic). First time he saw it my brother said 'hah! ain't that the truth..'.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is an old 60 inch Kubota deck. I'm gonna build it into a tow mower I can get under the evergreen trees with. I have an electric start 12.5 HP Kohler for it that cost me $50 at a salvage yard. Only has a few hours on it. It was in an almost new Cub Cadet that fell off a flatbed. Should have enough power but if it not I'll find another vert shaft engine that does. Tired of getting mauled by branches and clobbered by big pine cones. When they're still green they're as solid as a billy club. If you ever get smacked in the yap by one you'll know it. I'm gonna offset the mower so about 4 - 5 feet of it is under the tree branches. Gonna need some sort of a guard over the pullies and belts (like maybe the hood off an '01 Ranger I happen to have?) It's gonna be kinda like a Swisher but no engine perched a foot in the air in the middle of it. The Kohler will sit off to the side on this deck. I used to mow big orchards with offset mowers. We mowed in two directions on the younger trees, up and down the rows and side to side between them. The idea was to just miss the tree trunks. Got pretty good at it after a while but that was about 45 years ago. Won't be getting that close to the evergreens anyway though. Most of them have a 20-30 ft drip line.

Reactions: farmallboy

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Army, on a total unrelated matter, are you gonna resurrect "Go Fast Garage"? Always liked going through there and check stuff out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you have a sandblaster to go along with that big compressor? Sure would be handy for some restore projects.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They sure do. I spent many years getting by with a crappy garage and crappy equipment and doing without lots of stuff. I have lots of nifty old toys now but I will always appreciate them. I'm retired now and out in the shop every day doing something to something. I sincerely hope you guys all have the same good fortune. (y)

I was an IT guy for 20 years and I have a few security tricks up my sleeve. This traffic light is on a motion sensor. Lights the bay up with a spooky red glow at night. Won't scare anybody but it might make them stop to admire the novelty of it long enough for the cops to get here. The area detachment is only 2 km away. The 62" TV was a gift from my son. He bought a 72 incher when this one developed a dark vertical line 1 pixel wide. Can't usually even see it. Works great for looking at pics, PDF service manuals and so on, plus I can watch a race from 3 bays away, heh heh.
View attachment 260925

I have a 'LOT FULL' light in the middle bay (top right of pic). First time he saw it my brother said 'hah! ain't that the truth..'.
View attachment 260926
I just passed my 7 year mark as a state IT worker. It's fun to find out others who share the interests and mindsets associated with both technology and shop and tractor life.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I might bring gofastgarage.com back up this winter Grant. I've owned the domain for about 25 years now. I still use it for email.
Army, on a total unrelated matter, are you gonna resurrect "Go Fast Garage"? Always liked going through there and check stuff out.
Sure do. That's what dad built the compressor rig for. Makes my 18 CFM compressor look silly. I have a 10 gal and 25 gal sand tanks and various equipment.
Do you have a sandblaster to go along with that big compressor? Sure would be handy for some restore projects.
Good going farmallboy! I worked for the County road dept for 10 years then went to a municipality for 30 years. Started out in Recreation, then 10 years later they created the IT position for me and I did that for 20 years. My daughter is the Deputy Clerk there now. Been retired for 5 years but I still have the occasional nightmare where the network gets hacked.
I just passed my 7 year mark as a state IT worker. It's fun to find out others who share the interests and mindsets associated with both technology and shop and tractor life.
That's my 1/2N. It's a work in progress. Started it back around 2008.
What exactly is in the bed of the red and black pickup?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This little sweetie pie likes being in my shop and pretend drives everything in it. She's pretty good with wrenches too. She always refuses to get out of my Corvette till I bribe her with something sugary. Her mom was the same way. They really resemble each other too.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is my 'Cub Cadet' small engine test stand. Had a spare dash so I figured why not use it.

You guys ever see a Hubometer before? Dad had 6 of them. They were used to track the mileage on trailers. They'd work on a tractor too and anything else with wheels on it.

I made this adapter last year so I could use my 3 ton floor jack to install and remove wheels weights. Works really good and made the annual wheel weight on/off task eezy peezy. Then I bought another 400 plus a 420 a few months ago so the wheel weights don't have to go on every fall now. That 400 is on permanent blade/blower work. Coming up with a solution for something just in time to not need it anymore is the story of my life.

Reactions: Grant Baker

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Randomly ran across this pic this morning.. it's from 4 years ago but it feels more like a decade (time is going by faster and faster as I age). When I built the 28' x 28' addition on my shop I was pretty sure I was gonna buy a hoist. So I went with a 12 foot ceiling and dug holes for 3' x 3' x 3' piers. They were filled with cement and rebarred to the rest of the floor, which is 6" thick. You can see where I initially positioned the piers but I ended up moving them a couple feet back towards the rear 10' x 8' door after this pic. End result was the columns have pretty big feet and my 9000 lb Atlas hoist is very unlikely to fall over.

I levelled the dirt with my 54 blade before the cement was poured. All I had to do was about 10 minutes work around the perimeter with a small hand rake and it was ready. Contractor didn't have to do anything and was amazed a JD 400 w/small 4 way blade could do that. I don't know if he actually did but he said he was gonna look into getting something like it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Randomly ran across this pic this morning.. it's from 4 years ago but it feels more like a decade (time is going by faster and faster as I age). When I built the 28' x 28' addition on my shop I was pretty sure I was gonna buy a hoist. So I went with a 12 foot ceiling and dug holes for 3' x 3' x 3' piers. They were filled with cement and rebarred to the rest of the floor, which is 6" thick. You can see where I initially positioned the piers but I ended up moving them a couple feet back towards the rear 10' x 8' door after this pic. End result was the columns have pretty big feet and my 9000 lb Atlas hoist is very unlikely to fall over.

I levelled the dirt with my 54 blade before the cement was poured. All I had to do was about 10 minutes work around the perimeter with a small hand rake and it was ready. Contractor didn't have to do anything and was amazed a JD 400 w/small 4 way blade could do that. I don't know if he actually did but he said he was gonna look into getting something like it.
View attachment 261132
How much hurt is it to get poured floor after the building vs before ? Always heard it was way worse. I need more space but can't justify it with concrete and don't actually need it other than pallet racking.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not sure what you're asking. You mean how hard is it to pour a floor after the walls are up?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Army, your photos of the starter weight installation answers a question for me. Currently gathering hardware to mount starter weights and double notch weights on a 332. I don't have your application jig so will have to smash some tingers to get the job done.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
By application jig do you mean the adapter I made?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Ya, you know that thing-a-jig you use to install starter weights.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That was made from salvage yard parts I scrounged through till I came up with something that worked. I have a lot of bushings and brackets and doodads. There's always something that will work for whatever I need to do. To paraphrase him, Thomas Edison once said genius is having a good imagination and a big pile of junk. I'm definitely no genius but I do have lots of scrap goodies.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I will need to make do with some scrap lumber and as I said smashed fingers. It is a nice looking adapter.

I am not quite ready to mount my starter weights. Need to pull the rear wheels, paint the rims, install inner tubes, and fill with rimguard. These will be used as counterweight on a loader tractor (332).

·
Super Moderator
3,438 Posts
How much hurt is it to get poured floor after the building vs before ? Always heard it was way worse. I need more space but can't justify it with concrete and don't actually need it other than pallet racking.
I poured my floor after the building was up. A little hard on the finisher working to smooth along the walls. The rest was no problem. There was a little splash here and there on the walls. It all got covered with the interior wall anyway.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Nice job Mike. Mine will need to be poured like yours. Building is up but need concrete flooring yet.

Reactions: drew

·
Registered
385 Posts
21 - 40 of 46 Posts