Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a 3pt on the 317, which naturally means I'd need a plow for it. :D
And then promptly realized I don't know much about the many different variations of Brinly Cat 0 and Sleeve hitch plows and how they compare.
I'm pretty sure they came in 8", 10", and 12" moldboards. 10" and 12" are the more common.
My understanding is that there are natively 3pt plows, sleeve hitch plows that had the sleeve for the sleeve hitch replaced by an A-Frame, and then Sleeve hitch plows on either 3pt to SH or 2" receiver to SH adapter with 2" trailer movers. Please correct me on anything I missed or mistaken in that.
How to they all compare in terms of functionality?

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you do with a moldboard plow that can't be done with a disk plow? Not nit-picking, just curious.
Heavy tillage, recreational tillage, and fun.
Mainly fun, I'm a weird nutcase who like European heavy tillage and thinks moldboard plows are cool.

· Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
What do you do with a moldboard plow that can't be done with a disk plow? Not nit-picking, just curious.
A moldboard plow will more effectively turn under trash like cornstalks and other crop residue.

· Super Moderator
3,881 Posts
The Brinly's came in 8, 10 and 12 inch. I have one of each for the sleeve hitch. The plow and the arm appear to be the same. I think you are correct that the actual hitch piece that connects to the plow is different, kinda obvious difference between one with the C channel and the 3 holes and one with the mount for a Cat 0 3 point.

Here's a good picture of the integral hitch (sleeve hitch) connection. I don't have one of the 3 point. The 3 point A frame would bolt on at the first 2 bolts on the plow.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

· Registered
635 Posts
I remember Jim quite well. I'm still using his heavy duty snow blower skids!

Reactions: drew

· Registered
6,502 Posts
A moldboard plow will more effectively turn under trash like cornstalks and other crop residue.
True, but then you have to smooth/level with a disk-harrow anyway. Grandpap Floyd used to shred his stalks, then deep disc with cutter blades and then disk/harrow over that. He thought it added more organic material to the top layer of soil, rather than turning it deep. Plus he started with horse teams so probably had bad memories of turning plows. :p

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True, but then you have to smooth/level with a disk-harrow anyway. Grandpap Floyd used to shred his stalks, then deep disc with cutter blades and then disk/harrow over that. He thought it added more organic material to the top layer of soil, rather than turning it deep. Plus he started with horse teams so probably had bad memories of turning plows. :p
Some guys ran heavy discs, different benefits and cons. We run a tiller over everything anyways, just recreational fall/spring tillage.

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any opinions here on sleeve hitch adapters (such as the one offered by Ruegg) vs switching the sleeve hitch sleeve out for an A-frame?

· Super Moderator
3,881 Posts
Any opinions here on sleeve hitch adapters (such as the one offered by Ruegg) vs switching the sleeve hitch sleeve out for an A-frame?
It seems to be more of whatever you are used to. The 3 pt gives much more adjustability. I seemed to always follow guys that couldn't get their 3 pt right. I've used them, but never really had to set one up. I can usually get a sleeve hitch set up quick, I should as that's what I've used for years.

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems to be more of whatever you are used to. The 3 pt gives much more adjustability. I seemed to always follow guys that couldn't get their 3 pt right. I've used them, but never really had to set one up. I can usually get a sleeve hitch set up quick, I should as that's what I've used for years.
Either would be on a 3pt, just one would be converting the plow to native 3pt (something like the bottom one here: Plow Parts Cub Cadet 3 Point A-Frames Cat 0 Category 0 Lift - Cub Cadet Parts List International Harvester IH Cub Cadet 3 Points Sleeve Hitch Parts) or just running a 3pt to sleeve hitch adapter (probably Ruegg's Drawbar with Sleeve Hitch, Ruegg MFG - Agricultural Draw Bars for various Tractors)

Reactions: drew

· Super Moderator
3,881 Posts
Either would be on a 3pt, just one would be converting the plow to native 3pt (something like the bottom one here: Plow Parts Cub Cadet 3 Point A-Frames Cat 0 Category 0 Lift - Cub Cadet Parts List International Harvester IH Cub Cadet 3 Points Sleeve Hitch Parts) or just running a 3pt to sleeve hitch adapter (probably Ruegg's Drawbar with Sleeve Hitch, Ruegg MFG - Agricultural Draw Bars for various Tractors)
Either one works. More adjustment options with the true 3 pt. Might be splitting hairs in the end.

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There’s a plow in C-list not to far, looks to be in decent shape other than rust (looks straight, has the concavity on the bottom of the plow share the creates suction to pull it down, etc). Has a coulter on it. S/N B-75-24248 if that tells any specifics.
Any experts on here have any thought or info?
Road surface Wood Asphalt Fashion accessory Soil

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Motor vehicle

Tire Road surface Wood Automotive tire Wheel

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
853 Posts
In my garden area/pumpkin patch on my hobby farm I use work it up with an atv and pull behind spring tooth drag. It got a 2-3 inches in the ground and it made for a decent seed bed. Only issues were the ground couldn't be too hard and the drag would plug up with trash a lot.

Tire Wheel Sky Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

I wanted something to be able to chop up the stalks and vines better and found a used king kutter disk I painted up and fabricated some weight brackets to, to add more down pressure. It did the job of chopping up debris but didn't dig into the soil much.
Cloud Sky Plant Tire Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Road surface Asphalt Wood Grass Pattern

Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

I used the disk for about 3 years and noticed production was going down where I used it even with proper fertilizing. Talking with a local agronmist he said the disk was creating a hard pan and need to really turn the soil over.
This early fall I found a cheap plow I plan on fixing up to use. I tried it out and couldn't believe the results.
Sky Ecoregion Water Land lot Sunlight

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Wood

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

I also bought a field cultivator that I attached a spike tooth drag to the back to level off after the plow. That really makes a nice seed bed. Looks like a tiller did it.
Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Plant

A flail chopper is on my list to buy next to knock down the stalks and vines cause those plug up the plow. I like plowing in the fall to burry any debris and let it break down over winter. For a pumpkin patch it's a lot of gas and equipment time and definitely don't get my money back but it's fun to play farmer and use the equipment and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

· Registered
763 Posts

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
853 Posts
There’s a plow in C-list not to far, looks to be in decent shape other than rust (looks straight, has the concavity on the bottom of the plow share the creates suction to pull it down, etc). Has a coulter on it. S/N B-75-24248 if that tells any specifics.
Any experts on here have any thought or info?
View attachment 286245
View attachment 286246
View attachment 286247
As you mentioned it looks straight . See how the coulter spins and pivots and if the crank is stiff. Nothing some diesel fuel or pb blaster can take care of. 3 days of spraying, banging and soaking I got mine free on my little wonder.
Fluid Wood Ingredient Gas Drink

Wheel Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire Crankset

In my area 1 bottom plows go for 150 to 200 give or take. If all that stuff is freed up just polish it up a bit. I used a wire cup wheel on my grinder and finished it off with a buffer/blending wheel.
Bicycle Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tire

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Wood

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts