Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend just gave me a weight that he said could be bolted to the head of a tecumseh engine. He thinks it came off a round fender 110/112. Are these weights rare? I have never see one before. The number that's cast into the top is M44631. What is this weight worth?

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Joe, no what it's worth adds. I have seen some on ebay, but never run across one myself. I know they were available on square fenders, they would also fit rf, but I don't know if they were sold together.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about asking what it's worth, I was just curious as I have never seen one before. So are they rare?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I wouldn't call them "rare", but not a common item either. I once had one on a 71-112 parts tractor.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
They were supposed to make the engine quieter and avoid head gasket failures. I had one on a 1970 112 and PO said he wanted it as a counter weight for the tiller he had with tractor. I am not sure if this was recommended by JD or not. They are rare but I wouldn't say that means valuable. They were only used on 1968 to 1971 Tecumseh powered 112s and had to be special ordered. Roger

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great info. Roger will the fit on say a 1967 112 with a Tecumseh HH100?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I bought a 69 112 about a month ago and the owners manual had the head gasket part Number written on the front cover. Did the Tecumseh actually have any more of a problem bowing head gasket than a Kohler?? I can't remember ever replacing a blown head gasket on a Kohler.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
I replaced dozens in my tecumseh, I carried the tools and spares with me. They probably blew every 100 hours for me, and the truck load of parts I bought last year had at least 10. That was more then any other gasket in two totes worth. I have replaced them in kohler twins, but not a single. I don't have 100's of hours on any of them either.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Joe I don't know for sure. They bolted on in kind of an odd way to the head. So you might need to use a later head. Tecumseh had head gasket problems with the HH series. In about 1970 they sold a kit with Belleville washers that seemed to help. A few year later Tecumseh stopped using asbestos gaskets and the problem got worse. It was a fairly standard repair back in the day. Roger

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have a 1967 112 but it needs to be completely rebuilt but it's complete. Hopefully I'll get to start working on it soon.

Does anyone know know what color the weights were originally? If it fits my engine I will use it, but I'd like to have it looking original.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Colton is correct. The head weights were used as dampeners for the flat fender engines that were mounted to cradles. They were not offered for the round fender engines, since the engines were mounted directly to the tractor frame. The engine weights helped to reduce engine vibration. You could use the engine weight on your round fender 112's, but it will act more as front end weight than what is what originally designed for. The only thing I'm not sure is, if mounting to a round fender 112, you may not have enough clearance under the gas tank to mount it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I found these pics as I was looking for some of my 212. I cannot take credit for them as I prolly got them off the old site or somewhere else along the way. I apologize in advance to the person(s) who originally took them. Felt they could help with the discussion. I have several in my Deere shed but just cant get back to them right now. I have always seen them in black.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3-316k, 2-317,salvage 1-300, 4- 140, 2 are h3, 3-112 sq, 3rf 112, 5rf 110 and a bunch of decks, plo
214 Posts
I have a 1968 112 Tecumseh, the head weight was factory black but the engine was green.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.