Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My love affair with John Deere began on my grandfather’s farm in South Dakota. I began mowing the farm yard on his model 68 when I was in the first grade, maybe younger. Soon I was driving the 4020 pulling a hay wagon. By the time I was thirteen I was plowing in the rain. There is nothing like hearing the engine really working and seeing the smoke from the stack. Wow, I love that. That was also back when fuel was cheap.

When I was fifteen my father and I began a lawn care business. We started out with a JD 111. When I turned 16 and had my driver’s license I grew the business and soon traded in the 111 on a 116. Then I bought another 116 and I got my sister to help me mow. The next year I picked up another 116 so that my father, sister and I could mow my big accounts together. When it was time for college I sold the business and all the equipment but one tractor. My father used it for many years. We always marveled at how many hours we had put on it and yet it still ran like a champ.

Many years later my father sold the 116 and bought a 400. Then traded up for a 420. That’s about the time I bought my hobby farm. Dad gave me the 420 and he bought another one. Then one day he reminded me that I could mow faster with two tractors. Soon Dad and I were mowing my place together with two 420’s and his place with one. Now Dad is too old to mow and I have all three tractors(420’s). I can’t bear to let any of them go and I can’t allow any of them to sit and rust away either. So I keep them all running and alternate tractors from month to month. They all have 60” decks and we also have a few attachments. Sometimes Dad still comes to the farm and takes one for a ride out to the deer stand and back. I will miss my father when he goes but I will always have our John Deere’s.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
:welcome:

Nice story

1 - 5 of 5 Posts