Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys newbie here. I've got an early 80s 108 all original, that I bought from the original family last year. It's it extremely good shape for the age.

It ran great until I had to park when I moved. It was outside under a cover. I pulled it out, and had a no spark issue, and fuel pouring from the knockout plug on the end of the carb. I ordered a Briggs carb kit and magneto. I rebuilt the carb with no issues. I pulled the flywheel off and replaced the magneto exactly as it came off. The little ground wire to the front left screw, the black wire to the ignition under the flywheel. I put everything back together, replacing ed the spark plug, and new fuel. Charged the battery and still have no spark.
I just changed the key switch because the original was extremely corroded and intermittent. I have unplugged the seat switch for the time being, but it did work before, and I checked continuity with my multi meter.
This thing turns over and over, but I cannot get spark. Any suggestions?? I've checked all wiring for shorts, and just broke my flywheel puller trying to remove it again to verify everything. The magnets are sanded clean of debris, and it is gapped with a business card.

Help the new guy!! My daughter loved riding this thing.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
:welcome: More,sorry I can't help you,but someone will!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Since you didn't say the year you might have a 108 with points in it not Magnetron ignition. If that is true you need to replace the points. They are under the flywheel. Does it say Magnetron on the engine anywhere? Roger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Beneath the flywheel, there is a cover plate to remove before you see the condenser...was there oil present in that area? If so, may be wear to the breaker plunger bore and it would need a bushing put in. The breaker plunger itself will get shorter as it wears, minimum length should be 0.870, the gap itself between the condenser and breaker plunger should be 0.02 inches (with the flywheel key slot aligned with the plunger). If you saw any scorch marks around the condenser, you would need to replace it for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts