Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My country neighbor/cub cadet buddy milks cows for his country neighbor and saw this in the scrap pile.......
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

The guy told him he could have it, and he knew exactly the guy to give it to.

It's no 80 or 50 but will fit in with the collection. Unfortunately no tailgate, but should have a a big enough sheet of metal to make one.

I haven't seen it in person so who knows if it's twisted......or the reason it was in the scrap pile.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked it up tonight after a family dinner night. There's a reason why it was in the pile......
Door Wood Line Wall Font

Rectangle Water Wood Tints and shades Glass

I think it was used as a burn barrel......
It's not too far gone . I could take it appart and patch the bottom. How far, how much money, and how much time do I want to put into it. I see the potential but would rather build a custom wagon .

Funny thing is the base is good and was looking for an old cart base for my 2nd sheller idea. The tires might fit on the backwoods 110 also.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the base off the box after supper.

Green Azure Rectangle Road surface Wood

Road surface Wood Asphalt Wheel Automotive tire

Water Road surface Wood Automotive tire Floor

Wood Brick Brickwork Gas Composite material

It was worst than I expected. I can get a piece of flat stock on the bottom. My fear is I had the welder set at 40 amps not to burn through so not sure how well it'd stick.

I could put wire down and bondo it
Or
Expanding foam, sand and flex seal

All joking aside Ill have to think about some more. I have ideas to use the hitch for a sprayer, generator, sheller, mill, or idk I'm sure some other things.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, rough shape for sure...but it's in the right hands. All-purpose model 80 utility cart for the Renaissance garden tractor owner...just a thought. 👍
Thanks. My neighbor knew I could bring it back to life after seeing my digger, and plow.....those were solid and worth my time. If it was an 80 or 50 I'd have it done already lol. I didn't enjoy the backwoods 110 project all that much, coubling that together, so not sure on putting in the time for a tailgate or floor if it's not going to be original. I already have 3 custom wagons, 2 agrifab carts, an atv with dump box and with in the next year probably looking at a full size loader tractor and utv........but it's jd and fits in well.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Decided to go for it.
Wood Brick Road surface Grass Door

I have a couple of 4x4 pieces of flat stock but bought 2 6x24 pieces so I wouldn't have to try to cut them. My welds are piles of pennies vs a stack of dimes but it holds and nothing a grinder can't fix. At the moment I might be able to bring the cart back to life, which feels great.

· Registered
768 Posts
Good for you to save it from the trash heap . I have a # 10 that previous owner stored outside tongue down . So the front floor is rotted . I plan to save it also . I just look at is at a challenge to save vs throw away . Keep us posted on progress .

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good for you to save it from the trash heap . I have a # 10 that previous owner stored outside tongue down . So the front floor is rotted . I plan to save it also . I just look at is at a challenge to save vs throw away . Keep us posted on progress .
Yes, the price was right and something I never really did before. I'm always trying to improve my skills or gain new ones so welding with low heat/ thin metal and possibly some bondo will be good practice on this. The cart isn't pretty or has patina so just adding character to it. If I mess up, it can be turned into a rat rod or flower box lol.

· Registered
1,727 Posts
Nice, if your going to use this that Bondo will crack out over time. If itll just be a show trailer or light duty it'll be fine.

Bondo does not handle flex well. or at least in my use of it.

All depend upon your intended use as to how fancy to get with the Bondo.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice, if your going to use this that Bondo will crack out over time. If itll just be a show trailer or light duty it'll be fine.

Bondo does not handle flex well. or at least in my use of it.

All depend upon your intended use as to how fancy to get with the Bondo.
Thanks for the advice. I used bondo/fiberglass cloth with it. I'm going to have a rubber mat on the floor for extra security. Wasn't too sure on the use for it yet. I figured haul some woodchip, pumpkins, and maybe wood with it. More than likely it'll be a cart for behind my son's atv or go cart. He loved hauling stuff with his power wheels gator.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts