Weekend Freedom Machines banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Years ago I bought a white plastic 55 gallon drum with removable top from the car wash. Drilled a drain hole just up from the bottom, plugged with a boat plug, and used it as a test tank when I was into restoring antique outboard motors. Now it is my fuel depot drum since I keep a Jerry can of diesel for the 430 and two Jerry cans of treated gas for the 212, 216, 322, and backup generator. That way I only have one 2.5 gallon gas can as the main dispenser. I keep the barrel a short distance from the shop, in the shade...well away from the house. Use a stick pump to fill the 430 and other machines if the little can is empty. Twice a year I cycle all the gas through the truck, and refill/refuel the generator and 2 Jerry cans.
The empty suds barrels are great for a variety of uses. I want a 500-750 gallon poly tank as rainfall catch/storage basin for about half the roof. Being a child of the desert I get antsy when I see rainwater just running off into the wild.
Having to work to get, store, ration and wisely use every drop you have makes tanks an invaluable tool.
I remember my grandpa had 3 55 gal drums about 8 feet off the ground he used as gas/fuel tanks.

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have 2 similar wagons. Both I got for free. The first one was rusted pretty bad… as far as the sides and floor go. I pulled off the sides and grate floor and just put a 2x6 floor on it. I’m going to pull some of the wood off and mount my drum like yours, but lower. The other be has a good floor in it and the sides are t bad, just the side hinges. I really like that for digging up potatoes. I’ll dig and drop the dirt potato mix in and the wife and little man sweep it around. The dirt falls through and the potatoes stay above the grates.

I also have a 350 gallon tank the style of your wagon, I got for free, that I’m going to hook up to the downspout on my barn. I’m going to set it up high enough so I can gravity fill my wagon.
On this cart I was trying to figure out how to utilize the hole. I was thinking some dort of grate or shute to open and close........filling it in seemed easier, but for your great idea! The brackets I used came with the tanks but seen people knotch out blocks to rest the tank on then used ratchet straps to hold it down.

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I didn't get as far as I wanted to last night. My hardware knee was bothering me. Today was nice so I took the dog for a ride to farm & fleet(which the one in my area has a very good vintage parts selection now for kohlers, accessories, and even bar tires, thanks to the new department head who is into garden tractors). After getting home I painted the box. I brushed on the primer and tried to rattle can the paint but it just wasn't looking good so I brushed that on too.

Dog Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal Whiskers

Green Wood Cylinder Gas Machine

Road surface Waste containment Asphalt Motor vehicle Wood

Rectangle Wood Road surface Grass Gas

Wood Gas Road surface Automotive tire Tints and shades

Road surface Wood Asphalt Land lot Wall

Wood Floor Flooring Brick Road surface

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You are getting there 👍 . Are you planning on making a tailgate ?
Sometime. My plans for the cart don't really need one at the moment. I have some plans in my head for making one like the original, swinging doors, or 4 studs with pins and just some flat stock that slides into them.

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Looking good. I put some truck bedliner on the cart I refurbished that came with the derelict 214, 216 & 332. Not sure why, but it fascinates the Supervisor...strange pup.
Lol. I was thinking of that too, but already tossing more money into the project than I expected/liked. I do have a cow mat I was going to toss in to have extra protection over the bondo.

· Registered
1,739 Posts
Lol. I was thinking of that too, but already tossing more money into the project than I expected/liked. I do have a cow mat I was going to toss in to have extra protection over the bondo.
like the cow mat idea to protect the bondo from getting all banged back up. It wont be you tossing stuff in there but the kid will be soon enough!

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
like the cow mat idea to protect the bondo from getting all banged back up. It wont be you tossing stuff in there but the kid will be soon enough!
Yes lol. The way he filled his power wheels, I can only imagine what, and how much of that he'll put in a real cart.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Food Plant Yellow Natural foods Staple food

Wheel Tire Product Window Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Garden tool

Tire Jeans Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Plant Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
1,739 Posts
Pic of my 74 140 and the Allis Chalmers Trailer I have,

The trailer is home made and the guy I got it from said His father-in-law built it and he was a Allis Chalmers dealer in Mazomanie WI in the 70's-80's so I call it my Allis Chalmers trailer. I have had to redoe both Axles as have broken them off. If I just used it behind the Garden Tractors it would be okay but it gets used behind the ATV's as well and kids go mach 10 down the trials and it bounces along behind as best it can.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Wood Tractor

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I
Pic of my 74 140 and the Allis Chalmers Trailer I have,

The trailer is home made and the guy I got it from said His father-in-law built it and he was a Allis Chalmers dealer in Mazomanie WI in the 70's-80's so I call it my Allis Chalmers trailer. I have had to redoe both Axles as have broken them off. If I just used it behind the Garden Tractors it would be okay but it gets used behind the ATV's as well and kids go mach 10 down the trials and it bounces along behind as best it can.

View attachment 288188 View attachment 288189
I like the looks of that one. Looks pretty well built and bigger than your average cart.

I bought this one off the estate sale of the farm I bought. I got it for 20.00. It's home made and built like a swiss tank. It's currently used as wood hauler on my grandma's property.

Building Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Got the cart back together. I smudged one decal trying to clean it up a bit but still looks decent. I'm debating on cleaning up the rims but they match the faded decals. Next step in a tail gate and or extensions.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
id leave rims to match faded stripe.

that is me though.

if you due rims then you'd have to put on new stripe and with the bottom being what it is you'll never get the factory new look for it. Best to leave it in nice looking worker trailer.

just my thoughts.
I agree. Before starting the project I looked into a tailgate and stickers. For what the cart is it'll do what I need it to do. In reality probably could've used it as is but feel better the floor is reinforced. You can't really tell the seams too much......I should've cut out the center more " Square". At the same point 2 pieces of plywood would've been a cheaper fix too.
Green Wood Road surface Grass Rectangle

It's not original or stock, and wouldn't feel right selling it to someone even though I have no concerns of it holding up. Funny thing is I got ride of my farm snowmobile trailer, now I have an atv with a dump box, 2 garden dump carts, 3 custom yard wagons, and a flat rack.
I thought about getting rid of my white hd agrifab cart......I'm lucky to use that twice a year.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wood

But feel like I might be down grading knowing this on is solid. Guess we'll see.

· Registered
1,739 Posts
I know but I have backup trailers for trailers,

as you plan to use it for a day and blow out a tire or snap a axle and have to go to the backup unit to get the job done till you find time to fix the problem.

The Allis Chalmers Trailer which I have had 3 years has had the Hitch reworked where it attach's to the axle frame. 1 tire snapped axle off twice and other tire snapped axle off 1 time. If It only saw use behind Garden Tractor it would be okay but it gets put behind ATVS and kids go mach 3 down the trail regardless of the bumps and the trailer is catching air as it bounces along. Im sure the sudden bumps due the axle no favors when they are hit.

This is the backup to the Allis trailer and needs some loving as well. 1 tire goes flat over time and rear gate will fall out till I put chain across the back holding it in tight. Have had wheels fall off as well the cotter pin holding them on will fail and off comes the wheel. That is a 5 min fix and not to bad.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts