Weekend Freedom Machines banner

The things people throw away.

6K views 69 replies 9 participants last post by  Fox Run Farms 
#1 · (Edited)
My country neighbor/cub cadet buddy milks cows for his country neighbor and saw this in the scrap pile.......
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

The guy told him he could have it, and he knew exactly the guy to give it to.

It's no 80 or 50 but will fit in with the collection. Unfortunately no tailgate, but should have a a big enough sheet of metal to make one.

I haven't seen it in person so who knows if it's twisted......or the reason it was in the scrap pile.

See less See more
#3 ·
I picked it up tonight after a family dinner night. There's a reason why it was in the pile......
Door Wood Line Wall Font

Rectangle Water Wood Tints and shades Glass

I think it was used as a burn barrel......
It's not too far gone . I could take it appart and patch the bottom. How far, how much money, and how much time do I want to put into it. I see the potential but would rather build a custom wagon .

Funny thing is the base is good and was looking for an old cart base for my 2nd sheller idea. The tires might fit on the backwoods 110 also.

#4 ·
Took the base off the box after supper.

Green Azure Rectangle Road surface Wood

Road surface Wood Asphalt Wheel Automotive tire

Water Road surface Wood Automotive tire Floor

Wood Brick Brickwork Gas Composite material

It was worst than I expected. I can get a piece of flat stock on the bottom. My fear is I had the welder set at 40 amps not to burn through so not sure how well it'd stick.

I could put wire down and bondo it
Or
Expanding foam, sand and flex seal

All joking aside Ill have to think about some more. I have ideas to use the hitch for a sprayer, generator, sheller, mill, or idk I'm sure some other things.

#7 ·
Thanks. My neighbor knew I could bring it back to life after seeing my digger, and plow.....those were solid and worth my time. If it was an 80 or 50 I'd have it done already lol. I didn't enjoy the backwoods 110 project all that much, coubling that together, so not sure on putting in the time for a tailgate or floor if it's not going to be original. I already have 3 custom wagons, 2 agrifab carts, an atv with dump box and with in the next year probably looking at a full size loader tractor and utv........but it's jd and fits in well.

#12 ·
Yes, the price was right and something I never really did before. I'm always trying to improve my skills or gain new ones so welding with low heat/ thin metal and possibly some bondo will be good practice on this. The cart isn't pretty or has patina so just adding character to it. If I mess up, it can be turned into a rat rod or flower box lol.

#15 ·
Thanks for the advice. I used bondo/fiberglass cloth with it. I'm going to have a rubber mat on the floor for extra security. Wasn't too sure on the use for it yet. I figured haul some woodchip, pumpkins, and maybe wood with it. More than likely it'll be a cart for behind my son's atv or go cart. He loved hauling stuff with his power wheels gator.

#21 ·
I got the cart bolted loosely together to see how everything lines up. Its a little twisted but not bad. If I add a tailgate like the original l'm sure it'd stiffen it up more, but it's together and supports itself. Flipping the cart over and banging it around some of the bondo chipped off unfortunately. I could get thinner metal that'd follow the dents and humps better but we'll see. I was going to toss a cow mat in there to to hide the blemishes. So far I have 40.00 stuck into this cart. Which granted you can't find a 1700 lbs rated cart for that price. Most 10 cubic carts go for 100 in my area. 17 cubic one ones rated at 1200 lbs go for 200.00. I was lucky to get mine for 110.00. If I do a quick rattle can paint job I'm sure I could easily get my money back on a consignment lot, but so far it hasn't been a bad project and learning a few things.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt

Water Road surface Asphalt Composite material Freezing

#27 ·
My rule of thumb from my camp trailer days is to never exceed 75% of max weight ratings for loading vehicles...so a bit over 1200 lbs would be 'rational' as a full load of weight on the #15 cart when new. Other factors such as the towing tractor, the grades and surfaces involved, etc. would enter into the judgement equation as well...

Stay safe...

Chuck

#29 ·
Very good rule. Working landscaping I'd be at the local stone & block yard and just shook my head seeing a guy pulling in with a snowmobile trailer getting a pallet of block or stone.......a mile down the road I'd see him on the shoulder with a snapped axel unloading the trailer onto another truck. Or going down the highway I make sure to stay clear of the farmer trying to beat the system hauling his full size tractor on a goose kneck with a half ton , or the farmily that loaded the rear of their camper.

If I remember right from sales literature a with the cart capabilities a 400 series is what is supposed to be be matched up with the cart to safely handel it.

Towing around my other water wagon with the atv it's just like hauling a tanker you get the water splashing it will play with the wagon.

#34 ·
Water wagons are one of my personal favorites. I built a single axle cart to fit a 55 gallon poly tank. I hooked it up to my downspout on the outbuilding at the old house. Was great to pull over to my orchard or garden. The drawback was the tank was aged and it was a “cart” design, not a “wagon” design. So it needed a tongue jack. Other problem was it was a white poly tank, so it grew algae pretty bad. The next design is going to be a wagon style, and I came across a new 55 gallon steel drum with removable lid. I’ll clean and paint the inside and being steel it won’t get light so algae will be limited, but if it does grow, I can just pop off the end and clean it out and repaint as necessary.

Reactions: Fox Run Farms
#36 ·
I really like my water wagon for the garden, grass seed, or animals. I picked up 2, 55 gallon tanks at an auction for 50.00. They were fiberglass and pretty beat up but worked. I just had them as gravity fed tanks. My dad found 2 plastic poly tanks on market place for 25.00 that I bought. I sold both poly tanks for 75.00 each to food plot guys. I took the other poly tank and put it on a smaller gorilla wagon I found for 25.00 and sold it for 135.00. The other poly tank I mounted on the wagon and found an older atv sprayer for sale brand new un opened in the box for 35.00 and used the pump and wand off that to make it spray. Then put a t connection with a valve to fill up a watering can or 5 gal bucket.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Cloud

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Window

I like it on the wagon. It's easy to hook up and if I don't use all the water it's easy to unhook. I almost decapitated myself out of highschool driving truck and unhooking a top heavy disk. The only think with wagon is, no suspension. I went down an incline and turned a bit and turned the wagon over.......speed maybe was a factor.

My wife has a rain barrel I can hook a small electric pump from my tank to the barrel and pump it into my tank. I really didn't want my wagon always sitting out.

#35 ·
Years ago I had several blue plastic 55 gallon drums that originally had olives shipped in them, and they were great for hauling water at my off grid home when I was building it prior to developing the spring. The dark blue color seemed to block most of the light, and they had fully removable lids if you did ever need to get down inside. The place I got them also had some similar barrels that had been used for onions -- I passed on those because I doubted I could get the smell/taste out... (n)

I see you can still buy "upcycled" food grade barrels for under $50...

Chuck

#37 ·
The fully removable lids are a plus. My 75 gal poly fertilizer tank has a lid where I can get both arms down into and has the valve already installed. Being fertilizer once was in it I don't mind for my use. If I was watering animals then it'd be different. Where I work we have lots of blue 55 gal drums we need to triple rinse and cut up and throw away. The guys discovered on a rain day it's easier to rinse them out and give them to me lol.

#38 ·
Years ago I bought a white plastic 55 gallon drum with removable top from the car wash. Drilled a drain hole just up from the bottom, plugged with a boat plug, and used it as a test tank when I was into restoring antique outboard motors. Now it is my fuel depot drum since I keep a Jerry can of diesel for the 430 and two Jerry cans of treated gas for the 212, 216, 322, and backup generator. That way I only have one 2.5 gallon gas can as the main dispenser. I keep the barrel a short distance from the shop, in the shade...well away from the house. Use a stick pump to fill the 430 and other machines if the little can is empty. Twice a year I cycle all the gas through the truck, and refill/refuel the generator and 2 Jerry cans.
The empty suds barrels are great for a variety of uses. I want a 500-750 gallon poly tank as rainfall catch/storage basin for about half the roof. Being a child of the desert I get antsy when I see rainwater just running off into the wild.
Having to work to get, store, ration and wisely use every drop you have makes tanks an invaluable tool.

#40 ·
I remember my grandpa had 3 55 gal drums about 8 feet off the ground he used as gas/fuel tanks.

My dad works at a grain elevator and they have the big sqaure totes with cages around. He said they have no issues getting rid of them for water tanks, but now the biggest craze is people just want the cages for split wood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.