Weekend Freedom Machines banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Now I don't feel so embarrassed knowing there are still some less than desirable seats on these old work horses. I don't think my seat will get updated though, it has to live out in the weather more often than not. It just won't fit into the shed with the big tractor in there.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It appears they are blow or vacuum molded. Using a quality vinyl covering can't mimic the way these seats contour lines are.

FWIW- My Harley seat has been on my bike for over 30 years, the same seat, just not the original seat. It's sat outside year round now for about three years in the sun for at least eight hours a day and the seat is still soft and supple. It was/is good vinyl.

I'd venture a guess that what the JD seats (and imitations) are covered with isn't even close to vinyl. I'd say some sort of thermoset plastic not of the vinyl category. UV rays kill it.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
What's the word I'm trying to say....hmm, hmm. Oh yeah, "patina". Wonder if the pickers would appreciate some of these old butt buckets because of their patina? One of these days, I'm going to break down and buy a good folding boat seat and see if I can make it fit one of my Deere's. Yellow paint for plastic is everywhere and not that spendy either.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts

Unbelievable what John Deere is selling these days, I do think this seat qualifies for this thread. I bought this an "John Deere 318 replacement seat" from the dealer. It is just junk plastic and isn't even branded with the corporate logo. I have a 110 seat cover from Hapco and if I can find a good pan to put it on, I will use it on my 318. It has got to look better than this "Ugly Seat"

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
But it's yellow an everything! Looks kinda similar to the generic yellow universal seats that I've bought at the local farm/ranch store and put on my 212 and 430. My absolute favorite on thread is a few pages back, the shag carpet derelict with grass growing up out of the seat pan...now that's comfort man!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't have a pic of my ugly seat on my 88 322 but I did email JD about the quality of their seats. They did respond but basically said " It is what it is"

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Yeah, that's your basic fold-up boat seat...available at fine retailers near you. I've actually considered doing the same thing, only using the lock-down, easy on/easy off pedestal that goes with those boat seats. But that option was going to be more expensive than just a replacement seat when needed. I was going to have one comfy transferable seat that would pop off any of the pedestal bases mounted on my GTs....pedestal base price(s) was prohibitive...I'm a cheap bast**d.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts