Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m thinking about perching a 140 to do some tilling next year. I’m looking for some pros and cons in the model years to help in my search. Any input would be helpful

·
Registered
533 Posts
The only item I didnt care for was the steering. The one I had just steered hard. I checked the individual parts and they were moving ok. The steering box did need a rebuild, lots of play there. I came to the conclusion that the front end was just that heavy.
Otherwise, a great tractor.
The other item I remember is, there are some 68 or 69 tractors that only have 1 brake pedal. You may want the 2 pedal model.
Depending if your concerned about condition, keep in mind hoods are expensive and headlight panels to. If there broken beyond repair.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
222 Posts
I put power steering on mine or my post would read like the others... :p

I would love to get a newer flashier diesel, but my 140 is pretty nice. I ran a LT160 around the back yard last night, and it's basically a (nice) lawn mower that looks like a tractor. I believe it's on it's second rear end already. I think the rear in a >30K SN 140 is fairly bomb proof.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you are planning on using the 140, I would suggest a 1971-1974 model. The transmissions are a bit stronger than on the 1968-1970 models. It is also very hard to get parts for the earlier transmissions. The steering on my 140's never bothered me. Some tri-rib tires on the front would greatly help the steering.

·
Registered
578 Posts
71 to 74 the Rear Tiller PTO shaft is cheaper and easier to find.

the 68 to 70 has a different Rear PTO shaft they are hard to find and wont be cheap when you due.

the only other thing is keeping a steady speed on the Hydro for tilling.

I have a 214 with tiller and went to a 74 140 with tiller and the 74 is way better. Only thing I miss is just the steady creep of the 214 1st gear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
71 to 74 the Rear Tiller PTO shaft is cheaper and easier to find.

the 68 to 70 has a different Rear PTO shaft they are hard to find and wont be cheap when you due.

the only other thing is keeping a steady speed on the Hydro for tilling.

I have a 214 with tiller and went to a 74 140 with tiller and the 74 is way better. Only thing I miss is just the steady creep of the 214 1st gear.
I agree with the 214 being easier. I had a 200 with a tiller and the tiller runs backwards. You put that baby in creeper gear and just steer. BUT without the lift assist those tillers are heavy to lift.
My 300 and tiller is a bugger to keep at a steady speed because the tiller runs frontwards and wants to push you. BUT hydrolic lift is nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the information. The search will go on. So far it looks like mostly older models available in my area. Witch may not be an issue because I usually end up with two of every thing anyway.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My thoughts are 214 manual lift and tiller vs 140 and tiller the 140 wins
140 Hydro lift easy to feather depth
140 quicker on turn around with hydro drive
140 leave tiller on lock in up position can put mower deck on and mow grass.
140 Need to till something in July tiller is on tractor can due some tilling with mower deck on.
Have breaks to cheat the turn around if needed.

Have had tiller going and walked a pile of dirt backwards a few feet by standing next to tractor and creeping backwith tiller just hovering kicking dirt back, stop go foward lower a bit creep back again. That's hard to due with gear shift.

214 has creeper gear for good constant tilling speed.
Takes for ever to turn around because of gear driven creeper speed, to shift I had to throttle down to shift gears, maybe others shift better at wide open throttle?
Mule drive pulley hangs low under tractor,
Either tiller or mower can't have both and change which you using in minutes.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would think the 140 with individual rear brakes would out turn a 214 that is only turning at the rate of the front tires allows.

the 140 if your brakes are good means you can turn and cheat the front end around by braking your rear inside wheel.

for the 214 It does a better steady ground speed because of the gear drive and yep you can reverse the tiller direction by not having the long drive belt cross itself under the machine.

like everything there are good point and bad points.

I would think a 214 with hydro or electric lift with tiller would be a nice unit. if its only a dedicated tilling machine.

depend upon your garden size and how many pass's you are making the 214 is slower at the end to get turned around and back tilling.

have a great weekend and OP best of luck finding your 140 for tilling!

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
73 Posts
So I’m thinking about perching a 140 to do some tilling next year. I’m looking for some pros and cons in the model years to help in my search. Any input would be helpful
Drillinguy...I owned a 1973 JD 140 H1 for about 15 years...used it for hauling fire wood, rolling my yard and plowing snow...loved the tractor except the steering...I finally found a good 318 which has power steering...The 140 H1 is a great tractor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. You just can’t beat the drivability of the 318. We really in joy using the two we have. Mowing and blowing snow. But this summer when I layed one up to fabricate a sickle bar, I realized that I might as well have another tractor for attachments.

Hence the idea of the 140. Compatibility of the attachments, and hopefully less of a investment to get a tractor driven tiller.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hade one with a tiller, and the tiller "pushed" the tractor faster then I like to till. And they are very easy to tip on 2 wheels. It steered like it had power steering.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I absolutely love my 140h3. At first I wasn't so sure about the hydrostatic trans but after working the tractor a little I can tell you the 140 puts down some serious torque. They make a set of tri rib front tires where the middle rib is a little beefier and taller and it makes it steer very nice as long as you keep the steering components greased. I wouldn't say it steers like power steering but it steers nicer than my 400 with hydro assist

1 - 15 of 15 Posts