Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Thoughts on a Quad Track 140 conversion...

769 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  michaelkitko 
#1 ·
Alright, I have been thinking about this for a while now. Really wanted to do it with my last 140, but decided against it when I ran across a tire deal that I could not pass up. Here is the idea, I would like to do an articulated 140 setup with a John Deere 9RX or IH Quad Track driveline. I will not get upset with any opinions here, but what do any of you think on this idea?

#2 ·
On a side note, if I do try this conversion, can anyone give me a lead on an early style 140 rear end. I have been looking on Fleebay and just can't find one that is not way too overpriced? If I decide to not do the conversion with tracks, I am still leaving toward doing an articulated 140. The steering setup and most of these fender pan is truly shot on this one.

#4 ·
could get ATV tracks to bolt on but they aint cheap

#5 ·
What do you plan to use for tracks, drive wheels and bogie wheels, that could be a ton of work or cost.

#6 ·
That is a good point on the drive line tearing things up. I did not think of that. I would like to make the undercarriage so that the hydro unit was not dealing with most of the side load from the tracks while turning. The hydro would only be doing the driving of the tracks. Now, I think, this is more of a long term project than anything. Maybe start within a year from now, but research, parts, and ideas are what I am after right now. I was honestly thinking of making the bogie wheels myself and drive wheels. I am running into issues with trying to find a track that would work. I would like to find something in the neighborhood of a width of 12" and a ground contact size of 30" with a height of 24". I believe that will keep it close to scale. Any ideas on measurements would be more than welcome.

#8 ·
Dave, I don't believe you were putting my idea down. You just said it would be really hard in a way. I do agree with you. I thought about the ATV ones, and I still am unsure about that yet. It is a bit expensive. I know custom ag tracks would also be pricey. I am just going to have to shop around. First though, I need to stumble across an axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.