Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys a 1995 JD 445 has come up for sale near me . It has 1040 hours and pics show it is in very good shape . Plastic cam gear has been replaced and the tractor comes with 60 " deck . Asking price is 2k . Thoughts ?

I am struggling with a 332 + 430 that I currently own , they both have running issues and I need a runner . Just need a machine to mow but my 1.5 acres is hilly with one steep section and not golf course smooth 馃構.

Registered
The 445 is a good machine but in my opinion, not as well built as a 420/430. Ergonomics are improved but compromises in its hydraulics, (h3) and transaxle (no two speed) leave some to be desired. I have owned all of them and the 430 if a far superior machine than a 445. Although if you鈥檙e solely going to mow with it, a 445 isn鈥檛 bad.

Registered
Might not be as tough a machine as a 430 but I would much rather have a 445 especially for mowing. The deck alone can be worth half that depending on condition and the 60鈥 decks are fun to mow with.
Mowing would be about the only place it would excel beyond the 430 and solely for the foot hydro and smaller footprint of the tractor allowing for more maneuverability.

Registered
Depends on condition, if it鈥檚 a beaten piece of junk no, if it鈥檚 solid/clean and the deck isn鈥檛 iron based Swiss cheese then it鈥檚 probably a good deal even if it needs new plastic or some rust cleaned off.
Another older machine that may need work in the future or sooner. Not a bad price if it鈥檚 in good shape.
Might not be as tough a machine as a 430 but I would much rather have a 445 especially for mowing. The deck alone can be worth half that depending on condition and the 60鈥 decks are fun to mow with.
Ditto
Mowing would be about the only place it would excel beyond the 430 and solely for the foot hydro and smaller footprint of the tractor allowing for more maneuverability.
Loader work, blade work, and similar come to mind also as places food hydros perform well. Our 2025R (and maybe even the 60hp Kubota at work depending on circumstances) is a much easier/more nimble machine than my 317 (or the family 322) for that type of stuff because you don鈥檛 need 3 hands to handle steering, implement, and speed/direction simultaneously without slowing to a crawl or having some nerve wracking moments trying to not ram something.

The wheelbase is less the 2鈥 shorter than a 420 (it鈥檚 predecessor) and weight is the only notable spot it lacks (100-200lbs depending on steering configuration)
I love Kaws for how they run, durability, and fuel usage, but I have never been around an Onan so don鈥檛 know how they compare.

Registered
Update: Yesterday I made a deal for a 2012 X740 . It has a 60" 7 iron deck and 1100 hours on the clock . I pick it up tomorrow . A forum member here sent me a PM and we started a conversation about my 332 + 430 . That conversation led to a sale of both machines . A win/win for all involved .
Congrats! You鈥檒l love that commercial deck under the X740, they eat grass, leaves, and really anything like it鈥檚 nothing.

Registered
Glad it worked out! At least in this area, a good-condition 445 for $2000 with the steel cam gear is an outstanding price. That said, after 20 years or so you're almost guaranteed to have electrical gremlins in your future, so getting something newer just makes sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts