Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just did a refresh with a deep clean and new bearings and seals. I filled the lower chain case with 1.5lbs of cornhead grease. Now after running it for 3 hours or hard work grease is coming out of the lower chain cases bearing at the top. About 1.5oz has ozzed out. Is this a problem that is just going to get worse? Did I over fill it? need I worry about my new bearings?

not sure if this is an issue or not. Just need to confirm that this is normal and going to happen to some degree before I wreck something. I have a ton of work planned for this tiller, Hard work

·
Super Moderator
3,402 Posts
I may be wrong. It's been a number of years since I had one apart. Cornhead grease in the gearbox yes. The chain case a little grease, but not much. Anymore I just oil my chains a couple times a year.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
There is no seal between the cases. It is probably overloaded with grease. When I rebuilt model 31 with same style chain case there was little grease/oil inside the case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
when I took it apart mine was nearly full of grease with little to no oil. I put back about the same volume I took out. Did 3 more hours of hard tilling today and little to no more grease came out today, I am thinking that with the extra heat from working it built up air pressure and pushed some out. Going to ad some oil as per manual and hope for the best.

going to try and find that resource that said to put 1.5 lbs cornhead grease in and post an update if I can find it and link it.

found it

thread
" 33 tiller maintenance ?'s "

That's interesting because Robert Garner completely rebuilt his 33 tiller and filled the case with grease (as suggested by another 33 tiller owner...1.5lbs of grease) as seen here:

Link here: https://www.wfmachines.com/gallery/ro...iller+rebuild/

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I need to find my model 31 operators manual to confirm exactly what the spec is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well after 15 hours of tilling hard, it has stopped oozing out grease. I put some oil (1 teaspoon) in the chain case at the 8 hour mark and thats about when it stopped. Seems to be doing just fine. I would like to get a service manual for this tiller 33 but have not found one yet. I have a owners and parts manual for my records just need the service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts