Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Neil,

Sorry for the delay. Been out of town n house stuff...

Below you can see the latch arms up up nice and tight.

Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Tire Wheel

Latch handle is down and a little bent. It used to be bent to the point of crashing into the box. It has a very satisfying over-center latch feeling.

Machine Pipe Vehicle

Bumper Vehicle

The locking latch is pretty sticky. The spring back feature doesn't work at all. But when I pull the handle down it does force the latch mostly back into place.

Bumper Machine

Bumper Automotive exterior

Bumper

Room

It's difficult to tell in the previous two images, but the threaded rod in the yoke is nearly bottomed out. I think if you were unscrew the threaded rod (lengthening the entire throw), it would push the latch arms further, which may help. It sort of looks like the arms are just not actuating far enough.

I added an additional chunk of foam seal I fab'd up from Granger. Then loosened the bolts until the bolt/nut/spring assembly was not quite floppy loose. Not sure how well it works to seal just yet, as I haven't tried it out yet. But, the whole box does have quite the wobble to it when it's latched up (it did previously too, but a little less before adjusting the bolts).

Tire Automotive tire Pipe Automotive wheel system Gas

Automotive wheel system Pipe Auto part Rim Fender

I think that's it.

-Aaron-

·
Registered
880 Posts
That's very helpful thanks Aaron. After using the gas to heat and bend/adjust the rear latch, it sits nicely, and operates smoothly. The operator's handle also over-centers nicely too so that's all adjusted well. I'll adjust that tang in the front box latch so it's nearer to the top like yours.
To make it easier to move so that the spring can return it, get in the box with your 15mm socket and wrench and loosen the through bolt half a turn, and then apply some lube. It'll return nicely after that. I also did that to the handle through bolt and it all operates really smoothly now. I had to use the gas to bend/adjust the variator pulley arm because the pulley wasn't aligned with the input pulley. I have a 50" B section belt between the input pulley and the variator, and the "correct" JD M86600 belt between the variator and the blower. That M86600 is 45 1/2" outside circumference. I can only reduce my variator to half speed so I'm going to order a 47" belt (11/16 top width) from the same place I got the other belt ($4 each....) to see if that allows the full range. The blower when adjusted for the OEM belt is "very" close to the right side tire.
I gave it a run today and it worked really well. Sucked up all the grass and a few leaves. I wanted the vacuum for the leaves so that I could get them all picked up before the rain hits them, making fall cleanup a lot easier. Next weekend I'll make the full size dolly to sit the MCS on when not in use. I'll put a couple of screw jacks on it so that they can be adjusted when fitting the MCS , so that installation is easier. Took me about an hour yesterday to get it mounted, which is an hour I'll never get back....
The existing foam I had actually worked well for stopping grass flying out of the spout so I'm good there. The deck chute had a bracket welded on it which sort of looked OEM but it prevented the boot from installing correctly so I removed it. Once it was off, the boot sat on there perfectly; so much so that I didn't even install the rubber retention strap - it just stayed on. I will install the strap though, just to be complete.
The input shaft double universal joint seemed to work ok. I didn't replace the crosses and they felt ok, so they probably have a few seasons left in them. Greased up everything.
The soft start on the deck PTO is much nicer now - no more brutal start on the deck - it just nicely winds up. The rear PTO doesn't seem to grumble at all to start up the blower.
Some pictures:

Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Car Motor vehicle

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car Automotive tire

Yellow Bulldozer Vehicle Plant Fender

Yellow Bumper Auto part Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Lawn mower Riding mower

Bumper Pipe Vehicle door Automotive exterior Metal

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Asphalt

·
Registered
880 Posts
Oh yes, and the traction is excellent with the vacuum on the back. My back yard has quite a slope in parts and on dry grass, the tractor had no problem climbing and turning tight uphill. Have to like the 430 when the weight is laid out like it is with the MCS. Even got a bit of turbo whine out of it climbing the slope. Have never heard that before.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh man, I didn't know you had a turbo...that's on the short list of to do's. Maybe run 0-3psi and call it good. I should have everything back together this week/weekend for testing. The leaves are already beginning to fall...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I get it all together, and it looks like I have the pulley on the blower on backwards. Judging by your pictures, it looks like you had it backwards in the earlier pic, then correct in the later pic. What do you say?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I tested mine out this afternoon (after flipping the pulley!), and my comments reflect yours. No more grumbling, smoother, and it is WAY quieter. I don't feel like I need hearing protection anymore (despite using it anyway). I also lubed all the linkages/moving parts like you said, and it all moves a bit smoother. My belts were still in good shape, and I had room for tension adjustment, so I left them alone. The box still leaks in a few places, but whatever...after a while it plugs up and stops leaking. Though I still get a significant amount of debris on top of the net inside the box, so I'll have to figure that out. Overall, it's been a good decision replacing the bearings. Thanks for your help! Now on to to leaking delivery valves and injection lines...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Did some early fall leaf cleanup today with the vacuum and it works really well, very glad I got this unit finally going. Now I can whip out just before it rains and pick up all the leaves each time. One load for the whole place and I'm done.
Now to replace those V61s....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Definitely! I've started doing the same myself. Only minimal leaves falling right now. I can't wait for it to be in full season... I'm looking forward to not emptying the old powerflow bags every 200 feet!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Neil - how many front weights do you install when using your MCS? Granted you're using a 430... I mowed yesterday and was still popping wheelies with 6 suitcases on the front bar. I'm less worried about lifting the front, as I can go easy and not have it happen...but I'm more worried about overloading the front axle on my 332.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't have any front weights Aaron but I also haven't had any appreciable load in the hopper. That said, the up slope in my yard is about 20 degrees at its steepest but there's no tendency to lift so I guess the 430 is ideally suited for this. You could put your 47" blower on the front to balance it out : )

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Gotcha. I'll take it easy for the time being. I sold the snow thrower a few days ago, but still have a 54 plow that sits further forward than the weights. I'll run the weight/dimensions through my free body diagram calculator in Excel to see the weight distribution...didn't think about that really...just the weight bar.

Here's 45 minutes of mowing. Been 5 days since I mowed. Leaves are coming...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Doesn't seem to have quite enough suck so I'll put a smaller pulley on the blower and get a different length belt. The variator range is between mid and high so this should let me have a greater adjustment range and if it is usable at mid-range, then I have options for the amount of vacuum. Do folks use mulching blades for leaf and small twig pickup? Are they more effective at avoiding blockages than regular blades?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I use mulching blades year round. I don't really understand any reason to have the blower at low speed, and at high speed I generally don't have a problem. The only time I've ever clogged up is if I didn't notice the hopper was full. Interested to know how Uber high speed goes though. Are you sure you're making full power and getting maximum engine RPM?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I needed to adjust the belts as right at the end I smelt them. But it still runs a little slow as the neighbor's tractor doesn't leave a skerrick on the ground (although she mows at about an inch and a half - I'm at three so I'm losing some pickup-ability through that.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I bought and downloaded the operator's manual online and it gave the reason for slowing the blower down, which is if the mowing is light and/or dry, and the grass is blowing through the collection box and back out again, slow the blower enough so that the grass doesn't blow right through - give it just enough to pick up but not to pass all the way through. Never going to have a problem with dry/light grass in Western NY so I guess mine will stay on rabbit : )

·
Registered
880 Posts
It also mentioned that to remove the MCS, disconnect the two assist springs, disconnect the damper, and then lay the box back on the ground. The frame is then a lot easier to manipulate. I'll try that this weekend since it's snowed I think my leaf pickup is done for the season.
Based on what I've read so far, the operator's manual is well worth reading, especially for the adjustments

·
Registered
880 Posts
And blower fan speed range is 2800 to 5200 rpm. I'll check that out tomorrow too when I verify the engine rpm

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Wow! I didn't realize the variator got it up that fast! Pretty cool. As you said, keeping it on rabbit in SE Michigan too.

I found out the hard way how to install/remove the whole rig after a lot of fighting with it, balancing on chunks of wood, ect....I remove the springs and damper, but after laying it down, I removed 3 more fasteners on the left hand side, and the entire box comes off of the frame. There is a triangular shape bracket right next to the damper.

How much was the manual? You've got me interested.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I recommend the manual - it's only 30 clams and you can download it immediately and print a shop copy out if you want. The method you used to dismount it is exactly what the manual says: lay the box down, remove the side bracket, then just slide it out. For installing, they remove the input shaft first before mounting, and then reattach the input shaft. Probably the way to do it although if you had enough arm strength, you could probably just leave it in place and juggle it into the pto. I installed a 3.75" dia pulley to give me better range. Picked up all the wet leaves yesterday. One more week which will give me enough time to rig up the storage frame (famous last words)
Manual is OMM86741DL (DL is the download version) from techpubs.deere.com

21 - 40 of 49 Posts