Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 56 RER last Fall at an estate auction.

It was listed as "not running", two of the family members told me after I bought it that they had driven it the day before! Brought it into the shop today to start the restoration:

It appears to be in pretty good shape for it's age. First thing will be adding electric start, it has the ring gear & mounting holes. I'll make a battery tray, have a starter, solenoid & switch. After that; new tires, cleanup & repaint & new decals, plus whatever else it needs. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don, thanks for the offer, I made a box for a small motorcycle battery to set behind the transmission today. The manuals I have don't show one, where does the factory box set? ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here's a pic of the holder

Sure wish I could remember the side it was on, dang CRS, but I think on the same side as the starter. Mounted on the frame with four 1/4 " bolts.The frame was stamped with the holes from the factory I think, I don't remember drilling any holes to mount it. Maybe you can see them , it was a starter kit from Deere. Don....

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just purchased a 57 RER that has electric start. It has the box mounted on the l.h. side if your sitting on the machine. When I pick this unit up in two weeks, I would be happy to email you pictures of the box. I have a shot at buying a 56 that has the wiring and everything to that box, but someone ripped the box out of it. I may be have to contact you Don if I get it! That is if your willing to part with the box!!!
Cant wait to see the progress Lowell, please take many pics
Blake

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fought with the steering wheel most of the day (seems like), finally came off!

I think I can see where the box goes now, but since I have the MC battery now I'll use it. Thanks anyway, Don! ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stripping the 56 today:

Drilled the spot welds from the shift quadrant so I can get the rust from between it & the pedestal.

Muffler is rusted out & NLA, so I'll have to do something different, not a big deal.

Lowell

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Down to the frame, except for one rear hub. It's soaking overnight, may have to heat it.

Lots of cleaning to do, tires are off, rear rims in good shape, fronts will need some straightening. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally, got the right rear hub off today! Took some heat, lube & lots of aggravation, but it's down to bare frame now.

Painted most of the small parts yesterday:

Need to get the rims done next! ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dave, the L/60 started out being a $95 60 lawn tractor with a blown replacement engine. By the time I was ready to work on it, there were no direct fit replacement engines available, so I used an 8 HP Briggs. It is supposed to be a (rough) copy of a JD model 62/unstyled L farm tractor of the 1940's. Just to see if I could!

Lowell

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finished painting the frame:

Prepped the rims, mounted the tires, then bagged & painted the rims today:

Next, to get the console, pedestal & shroud ready for paint! ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not recommended, but I use the wood stove. Just keep it shut down during the actual painting & use a vent fan in the roof. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Painted the shroud, pedestal & console today:

I have a muffler coming, thanks Shannon! ~~ Lowell

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.